Our Professors Paid More Than Those At The World's Top Universities

General Urko

With our university rankings in freefall, it hasn't stopped these lads (and they are very much mostly lads) pigging at the trough to the last!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ucd-tcd-professors-paid-more-than-those-at-worlds-top-colleges-29298324.html

Full professor salaries at Trinity College Dublin – ranked 110th in the world – and University College Dublin (187th) average €138,350 and €134,150 respectively.

This compares with the €139,853 paid on average to professors at Caltech (The California Institute of Technology). Caltech has occupied the number one university in the world slot for the past few years.

Trinity professors currently receive €32,158 more per annum than professors at the world number two ranking college, Oxford, and €26,905 more than their peers at Cambridge, the world number seven.

They also make €14,348 more than professors at Berkeley in California and €33,119 more than those at Imperial College London, both of which are in the world top 10 rankings by the Times Higher Education (THE) barometer.

And this largesse from us, is by no means confined to The Dublin Elite!

I would have thought that a professor here would be on at a max €80K per annum, silly me!
And please don't give me the bull shyza that sure they are taxed much sooner here than in other countries!
A genuinely hard working person on minimum wage has to pay €60 to bring a sick child (over 12)to see the doctor in this shytehole!

It's the absolute classic example of paying lads at League of Ireland level of ability (relative to their peers elsewhere and ordinary Irish Folk, off whose backs they are clearly leeching) being paid premiership wages and perks!
Mind you the Lads in The Premiership don't have the added bonus of obscene pensions paid for by everyone else also!

It's easy to understand now, why they want fees re-introduced - so they can suck more money into their arse pockets in wages!

Also please spare me the complete bull shyza that we need to attract talent, hence the absurd salaries and perks!
The vast majority of lads in these positions are local lads from privileged backgrounds who licked the right holes!

There no chance this will be tackled until the next bailout is forced on us, of course the welfare state will be destroyed with it also!

General Urko

C'mon the public sector! Ride us til we are red raw! Go on, horse it into us!

Analyzer

The biggest joke of all is Professor Brian Lucey of the TCD economics department.

He has produced statements that disqualify him as having any comprehension of market economics.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/81740-brian-lucey-completely-wrong-about-housing-market-irish-times.html

His advice to buy Anglo Banglo Shares in 2006 is probably the most stupid economic based advice in economics history.

He is beyond a pay cut. Reassignment to the janitorial function in TCD is a better reflection of his intellect.

EUrJokingMeRight

Our universities have been hijacked by cretinous safe space cadets. I'm a huge supporter of education however our universities are pretty bang average these days.

General Urko

Our universities have been hijacked by cretinous safe space cadets. I'm a huge supporter of education however our universities are pretty bang average these days.
I would say in certain respects the ITs are way ahead of them, they certainly seem to work their students harder!

GabhaDubh

Increase in pay coupled with decrease in results, Ireland in a nutshell.

General Urko

Chopra did point out that our public service is top heavy with people earning over €60K per year. He pointed out that €60K, is what the graduates working with the IMF earn and that these people are generally PHDs from some of the top business schools in the world. Mind you, I reckon, they would have generous expenses.
Let's get real here, the vast majority of our public servants, earning over €60K per year wouldn't be fit to be let have a shyte in a toilet of the finest universities in the world!

General Urko

Increase in pay coupled with decrease in results, Ireland in a nutshell.
And no accountability and insiders pigging at the trough!

Analyzer

I would say in certain respects the ITs are way ahead of them, they certainly seem to work their students harder!
Ask yourself this - would Brian Cowen have got through an Institute ofTechnology ?

Yet he ended up with a law degree from Belfield.

Belfield has
- a centre of law named after somebody who was before a tribunal and who was chair of a scandal ridden bank

- a business school named after another scandal ridden personality

- a centre for science named after public enemy number one who never studied science there.

It also has a pension deficit the size that iseasured in billions. And which will be shoved onto the PAYE taxpayers ultimately.

General Urko

Ask yourself this - would Brian Cowen have got through an Institute ofTechnology ?

Belfield has
- a centre of law named after somebody who was before a tribunal and who was chair of a scandal ridden bank

- a centre for science named after public enemy number one who never studied science there.

It also has a pension deficit the size that iseasured in billions. And which will be shoved onto the PAYE taxpayers ultimately.
TBH, given time and space, any aul clown could get a law degree!

Scitlipo

I had a forestry lecturer explain that cation exchange capacity in soil was the swapping of a positive ion for a negative ion. Inherent in the description is the fact that it is an exchange of cations....I remember the sideways glances our small class of 12 came out with when the idiot came out with that clanger. Later went on to become head of department.
Probably got a corner office in the Ag.Building.

stopdoingstuff

I had a forestry lecturer explain that cation exchange capacity in soil was the swapping of a positive ion for a negative ion. Inherent in the description is the fact that it is an exchange of cations....I remember the sideways glances our small class of 12 came out with when the idiot came out with that clanger. Later went on to become head of department.
Probably got a corner office in the Ag.Building.
Can you grow dope?

Analyzer

Grow your own dope - plant a journalist.

Notachipanoaktree

While the universities display their ignorance, arrogance, and greed, for all the world to see, the ETB are more cautious, more ignorant, and more arrogant. Easier too, for 'the cat and 11yo terrorizing and suicide provoking managers to steal with pride. Better scammers and with lower worthless politicians, spouses and offspring in tow than FAS ever could have hoped to be.

Prester Jim

With our university rankings in freefall, it hasn't stopped these lads (and they are very much mostly lads) pigging at the trough to the last!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ucd-tcd-professors-paid-more-than-those-at-worlds-top-colleges-29298324.html

Full professor salaries at Trinity College Dublin – ranked 110th in the world – and University College Dublin (187th) average €138,350 and €134,150 respectively.

This compares with the €139,853 paid on average to professors at Caltech (The California Institute of Technology). Caltech has occupied the number one university in the world slot for the past few years.

Trinity professors currently receive €32,158 more per annum than professors at the world number two ranking college, Oxford, and €26,905 more than their peers at Cambridge, the world number seven.

They also make €14,348 more than professors at Berkeley in California and €33,119 more than those at Imperial College London, both of which are in the world top 10 rankings by the Times Higher Education (THE) barometer.

And this largesse from us, is by no means confined to The Dublin Elite!

I would have thought that a professor here would be on at a max €80K per annum, silly me!
And please don't give me the bull shyza that sure they are taxed much sooner here than in other countries!
A genuinely hard working person on minimum wage has to pay €60 to bring a sick child (over 12)to see the doctor in this shytehole!

It's the absolute classic example of paying lads at League of Ireland level of ability (relative to their peers elsewhere and ordinary Irish Folk, off whose backs they are clearly leeching) being paid premiership wages and perks!
Mind you the Lads in The Premiership don't have the added bonus of obscene pensions paid for by everyone else also!

It's easy to understand now, why they want fees re-introduced - so they can suck more money into their arse pockets in wages!

Also please spare me the complete bull shyza that we need to attract talent, hence the absurd salaries and perks!
The vast majority of lads in these positions are local lads from privileged backgrounds who licked the right holes!

There no chance this will be tackled until the next bailout is forced on us, of course the welfare state will be destroyed with it also!
They are not all local lads by any means, Trinity is famous in some depts for not hiring Irish people to full time jobs, some science depts in particular.

Prester Jim

Chopra did point out that our public service is top heavy with people earning over €60K per year. He pointed out that €60K, is what the graduates working with the IMF earn and that these people are generally PHDs from some of the top business schools in the world. Mind you, I reckon, they would have generous expenses.
Let's get real here, the vast majority of our public servants, earning over €60K per year wouldn't be fit to be let have a shyte in a toilet of the finest universities in the world!
Where is your proof for any of this?
It just seems like the same old bar stool rant opinion without any factual basis.

Prester Jim

TBH, given time and space, any aul clown could get a law degree!
At last a probable truth but the same could be said for almost any degree outside of STEM areas.

former wesleyan

The days of these tenured contracts are long gone except for those already in possession of them. The new lecturers have what are called precarious contracts whereby they're only paid - and badly - for teaching hours. They're not even paid for prep time.

Windowshopper

A bigger scandal is the poverty wages and lack of career prospects for adjuntants; and the explotative behaviour of universities in turning out more PhDs than there are jobs.

I once considered the PhD path myself but I thought aganist when I reflected more deeply on the quality of life I would have. Being poor sucks, and I had no desire to stay in that condition. I feel very strongly that unis, especially humanities departments are being deeply immoral they are exploiting sensitive and idealistic people's dreams for course fees and cheap disposal labour. God knows how people they have broken.

Last edited:

Windowshopper

Belfield has

I agree I find the naming of buildings after benefactors and especially living ones to be obscene.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies