Our three economies

McTell

Twitter
No
I'm a fan of Cormac Lucey and liked this:

Cormac Lucey: Lose the economic crutch of FDI and we’d better be ready for a nasty fall

We have a tale of three economies. The FDI sector is super-fit. Then we have the undersized, underpowered and underpaid domestic private sector limping along in its wake. Finally, we have the privileged public sector that has managed to commandeer most of the golden eggs being laid by the FDI golden goose while shielding itself from real accountability.

Average pay / numbers employed:

Public sector €46,000 pa / 386,000 (includes semi states)

FDI 45,500 / 200,000 (with another 140,000 jobs supported)

Private sector 32,100 / 1,100,000

In his original article, CL added UK pay in euros. Private and public sectors were each about €31,000 on average. The question for CL was - what will we do if Trump and Brexit remove a lot of FDI jobs?

My question is: can we ever hope to reform a unionised public sector that employs near on 400,000 people, who with their dependents will always add up to a sizeable chunk of the electorate?

gleeful

This is misleading. Public sector employees dont do the same work as domestic private sector or FDI.

Public sector includes all doctors. FDI sector includes highly paid execs, sales people and researchers.

Private domestic employees include all cleaners and shop workers.

All these examples skew averages.

McTell

Twitter
No
This is misleading. Public sector employees dont do the same work as domestic private sector or FDI.

Public sector includes all doctors. FDI sector includes highly paid execs, sales people and researchers.

So, it sounds like the cleverer, better paid jobs are supported by the state, while the skivvies are not.

How clever of the clever to ensure that they are paid by the biggest daddy.

gleeful

So, it sounds like the cleverer, better paid jobs are supported by the state, while the skivvies are not.

How clever of the clever to ensure that they are paid by the biggest daddy.
Partly is due to outsourcing. Back when multinationals and the state employed cleaners and cooks directly the averages were lower.

General Urko

An issue for our pollictical class is that almost certainly a public sector 'worker'/'presentee'/'absentee' is vastly more likely to vote as a private secotr worker, so it skews results more than their numbers suggest!
Also its convenient to buy off trade unions by pandering to public sector rubbish!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Privileged public sector? Privileged in being unique in having parliamentary legislation enacted to slice and dice their terms and conditions of employment?

More right wing horse shyte

McTell

Twitter
No
Privileged public sector? Privileged in being unique in having parliamentary legislation enacted to slice and dice their terms and conditions of employment?

That's not unique?

Parliamentary (and EU) legislation is being enacted all the time to slice and dice all the incomes that they can identify.

ShoutingIsLeadership

That's not unique?

Parliamentary (and EU) legislation is being enacted all the time to slice and dice all the incomes that they can identify.
Legislation targeted exclusively at private sector wages?

gleeful

To be fair though, the state is the employer of public sector workers and the Dail makes rules about their pay all the time.

Not saying its fair...

gleeful

I used to be a research scientist and worked (briefly) as a public sector researcher in a state run university. It was sh!te. Pay was bad, hours were unreasonable. There was no job security - I had to continuously apply for grants or my job would vanish.

I left and went to work for the domestic private sector. Get paid twice what I would in the public sector doing the same work and have more security and better hours. I've no pension though (I'm not sure I trust pensions to be honest - not sure they'll be worth anything by 2050 when I'll need it)

My friends who work for multinationals probably get paid more, but seem unhappier. They work longer hours and are bogged down in pointless meetings and internal politics half the time. The culture of US multinationals is much more bureaucratic than in the Irish domestic economy.

Its a mixed bag.

devoutcapitalist

Regarding FDI in Ireland It might not be so bad after all under Trump, apparently he's prepared to have a Free Trade deal with Europe.

Saying that If there was a construction style collapse in FDI in Ireland the economy would be truly fecked.

HarshBuzz

Regarding FDI in Ireland It might not be so bad after all under Trump, apparently he's prepared to have a Free Trade deal with Europe.

Saying that If there was a construction style collapse in FDI in Ireland the economy would be truly fecked.
That is very true. FDI is what brought us our V-shaped recovery from The Madness.

Sister Mercedes

We're not the only country in the OECD to have a public sector and a private sector. But we're among the only ones (along with such illustrious company as Portugal, Italy, Greece) where the public sector is paid a lot more than the private. Are there no doctors or cleaners in Germany, France, UK etc?

wombat

We have a tale of three economies. The FDI sector is super-fit. Then we have the undersized, underpowered and underpaid domestic private sector limping along in its wake. Finally, we have the privileged public sector that has managed to commandeer most of the golden eggs being laid by the FDI golden goose while shielding itself from real accountability.
We have a lot of spoofers in the media, his description is superficial of the 3 sectors. It might be worth comparing specific sectors of the PS with those in other EU countries but a bland headcount/ salary average comparison between public and private wages is worthless.

GDPR

If Trump does what he said he would , this will create wealth in the USA which is the source of our FDI in the first place. That wealth will flow to us if we are agile and adaptable enough to attract it. Clintons policys following from Obamas would only lead to medium to long term decline of the USA and hence decline of our FDI. Our agility and our own behaviour is a problem we can solve and cant blame on anyone else. However we also need to get the EU bureaucracy out of the way of our wealth creation.

Analyzer

If Trump does what he said he would , this will create wealth in the USA which is the source of our FDI in the first place. That wealth will flow to us if we are agile and adaptable enough to attract it. Clintons policys following from Obamas would only lead to medium to long term decline of the USA and hence decline of our FDI. Our agility and our own behaviour is a problem we can solve and cant blame on anyone else. However we also need to get the EU bureaucracy out of the way of our wealth creation.
Fionn - our Bert had that figured out in advance.

He threw a large lump of PAYE taxpayers money at the dodgy Clinton Foundation, so as to continue business as usual.

You can call it an investment or even a bribe.

Unfortunately.....it was thrown at the wrong horse in the race.

Of course it it was the Bert's own money it would have won big time.

Regards
Iwunnittondanags.

Uganda

Maybe that's because the only way open to change because their terms were already enshrined in legislation?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies