• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"Our Time - Our place" campaign - results in serious fall in NI Tourists

Iarmhi Gael

This is serious how bad this campaign was - Only winner out of this was new Titanic facility and the Restaurants who saw increases in couples. Hotels and numerious other tourist attractions well down.

Shame on those involved

BBC News - Large drop in tourists to Northern Ireland

Official figures suggest a big fall in the number of tourists coming to Northern Ireland.

The statistics from the Department for Enterprise show the number of overseas visitors staying at least one night has fallen by 12% compared to 2011.

Visitors from Great Britain are down 15% and there is a 20% fall for the rest of Europe.

However, visitors from North America are up 18% while hotel room occupancy rates are up 11%.

The figures cover the period January-September 2012, which coincided with a major marketing push under the Our Time, Our Place brand.

Last edited:

Mickeymac

Iarmhi Gael

Surely the behaviour of the 'loyal' orders and their bands have some bearing on these figures you mention.
I would say its the likes of Ryanair pulling out of City, drinking laws meaning you cannot get a drink after 1am and the exchange rate. From working in Tourism the biggest fall I experienced was teh 2 soldiers murdered in Masserene by Republicans where I took over 20 cancellations from people who did not want to come here
inside a week

The Orange Order like any other year make little headlines accross Europe

Mickeymac

I would say its the likes of Ryanair pulling out of City, drinking laws meaning you cannot get a drink after 1am and the exchange rate. From working in Tourism the biggest fall I experienced was teh 2 soldiers murdered in Masserene by Republicans where I took over 20 cancellations from people who did not want to come here
inside a week

Spin it all you like, but I am convinced the hatefests have more to do with the tourist drop than the things you mentioned.

purpledon

inside a week

Tourist numbers are down 30% in the Rep. It's just the recession.

C

Castle Ray

Tourist numbers are down 30% in the Rep. It's just the recession.
The article in the OP state otherwise.

Meanwhile, separate figures from the Republic of Ireland suggest the number of tourists visiting the country has risen slightly in the period between August and October.

The figures from the Central Statistics Office show a 1.6% rise in visitors compared to the same period in 2011.

Trips by Americans to Ireland increased by 14.9% to while the number of visitors from Great Britain decreased by 4.5%.

factual

I thought the 2012 campaign of adverts on TV was poor. I saw some aimed at a GB audience. It was baffling. It said "why step into the Giants Causeway when you can JUMP in". It seemed to be designed to be related to a JUMP into Ireland campaign for the 26 counties.

I fear the marketing spend was not very effective.

vivabrigada

"The most interesting thing for me in the statistics that the companies give to me - both the National Trust and Titanic Belfast - is that over 60% of those people are from outside of Northern Ireland.

"There is something wrong there, because NISRA (Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency) are telling me that we have a fall of 12% in our visitors from outside of state, whereas I look to Titanic Belfast and I look to the Giant's Causeway, and they're telling me that 60% of their visitors are from out of state.

"So what is going on in relation to these statistics?"
Arlene Foster questioning her own department's figures.

factual

"The most interesting thing for me in the statistics that the companies give to me - both the National Trust and Titanic Belfast - is that over 60% of those people are from outside of Northern Ireland.

"There is something wrong there, because NISRA (Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency) are telling me that we have a fall of 12% in our visitors from outside of state, whereas I look to Titanic Belfast and I look to the Giant's Causeway, and they're telling me that 60% of their visitors are from out of state.

"So what is going on in relation to these statistics?"
Arlene Foster questioning her own department's figures.
The two are possible to reconcile if those (fewer) who did come all overwhelmingly went to the Titanic and GC. However the high occupancy rate is hard to square with them.

FitzjamesHorse

Website
fitzjameshorselooksattheworld.wordpress.com
Twitter
FitzjamesHorse
The two are possible to reconcile if those (fewer) who did come all overwhelmingly went to the Titanic and GC. However the high occupancy rate is hard to square with them.
The campaign is just "optics". Justin Beiber was at the MTV Awards.....Angela Merkel will be at G8.
MTV...Titanic.......Tall Ships (one called Derry-Londonderry), City of Culture, G8 Summit.........all a set of optics and PR Campaigns to deflect from the awful reality that is Norn Iron....including "kick the Pope" bands and the murder of Robert Black.
Incidently does anyone know where I can get half a dozen of those Our Time Our Place lapel badges. It might all be risible nonsense but for historical significance I would like a few.

Glaucon

It was/is a poorly conceived, poorly executed campaign, which provided no compelling reason for tourists to visit Northern Ireland. Our place, our time - WTF does that even mean? Northern Ireland needs to be marketing a unique selling point - and not the Giant's Causeway or the bloody Titanic, which everyone already knows about. Advertising with annoying music and a painfully generic motif will not cut the mustard.

The future for N.I. tourism, in my view, is to be marketed as part of the all-Ireland package - most overseas tourists, especially those from North America, come to visit the island as a whole; very few will come specifically to N.I. alone. Weekend breaks from Britain and continental Europe break substantially toward Dublin, Cork and Galway.

Fermanagh, Donegal, Sligo, Tyrone and Derry is one regional unit that the authorities could leverage off, if they got their heads out of their backsides.

Given Arlene Foster's silly comments about wanting the tourist board to market N.I. as "a part of the United Kingdom" distinct from the rest of Ireland at the recent DUP conference, I'm none too hopeful, however. No-one (except unsavoury Glaswegians and a few inquisitive 'Scotch-Irish' Americans) wants to come too NI to see Orange marches or estates blanketed with Union Jacks.

RedCloud

The campaign is just "optics". Justin Beiber was at the MTV Awards.....Angela Merkel will be at G8.
MTV...Titanic.......Tall Ships (one called Derry-Londonderry), City of Culture, G8 Summit.........all a set of optics and PR Campaigns to deflect from the awful reality that is Norn Iron....including "kick the Pope" bands and the murder of Robert Black.
Incidently does anyone know where I can get half a dozen of those Our Time Our Place lapel badges. It might all be risible nonsense but for historical significance I would like a few.
It's the recession stupid. You know,the one caused by New Labour :)

LoughFoyle

I remember seeing that advertisement for the first time. It made me cringe and it has done every time since.

What does "Our time, our place" even mean? To me it's telling outsiders to stay the buck out.

Glaucon

Not enough being done to capitalise on golf, Game of Thrones and George Best.

Should have built a replica Titanic ship instead of the visitor centre too.
People come to Ireland for the scenery, the traditional music, the Irish language, Guinness, and all that is bound up in the Celtic Irish identity promoted abroad. It's cool, it's appealing, it's ancient - even (or especially) to the British. It provides a different offering to people living in countries that increasingly resemble each other: large cities, similar architecture, close quarter living, a sustained focus on accumulating material goods etc. That's what Ireland leverages off, and it works, evidently.

Game of Thrones, golf (a minority pursuit) and George Best won't attract very many people, though they'd do a damn sight better than the current campaign. How much taxpayer money was wasted in that garbage I wonder?

vivabrigada

Should have built a replica Titanic ship instead of the visitor centre too.[/QUOTE]

Would you buy a ticket for the maiden voyage?

Iarmhi Gael

Should have built a replica Titanic ship instead of the visitor centre too.
Its strange but the Titanic Visiter Center has nothing to do with NI, Northern Ireland TOurist or any public body - its a private venture. Its crazy the marketing done by the NITB for it.

I think NI needs a young Vibrant brand - less of the Hill walking, warm fires & giants Causeways - More Festivals, more arts, more scholars, more urban style

Iarmhi Gael

People come to Ireland for the scenery, the traditional music, the Irish language, Guinness, and all that is bound up in the Celtic Irish identity promoted abroad. It's cool, it's appealing, it's ancient - even (or especially) to the British. It provides a different offering to people living in countries that increasingly resemble each other: large cities, similar architecture, close quarter living, a sustained focus on accumulating material goods etc. That's what Ireland leverages off, and it works, evidently.

Game of Thrones, golf (a minority pursuit) and George Best won't attract very many people, though they'd do a damn sight better than the current campaign. How much taxpayer money was wasted in that garbage I wonder?
Number one seller in Belfast Carroll's gift shop is Belfast - Ireland T shirt. Don't think the numbers would be so hot if it was Belfast - United Kingdom

I know a few Black Taxi men and they have all dropped the George Best trips to his house - no one was interested. But give tourists a Violent Mural and hit the central locking as you approach it and you can expect your tips to be doubled for risking their lives bringing them so close to the troubles. One Black Taxi Man has his kids pelting his Taxi with dried Pasta up off the falls - his customers think this is the best tour ever and when he shows them years old scratches on his taxi he gets handsomely rewarded for being so brave. The Europa is full of these near miss stories. So in short the tourists want the troubles - so give them it

Mickeymac

nah pal, I'd say it's the antics of backwoodsmen and inbreds like yourself.

Like, who would read some of the threads here and want to go near the kip.

GTFOOH pal!!

Yeah, the tourists would warm to you and your ilk..........I think not buff.