Our Tricolour Is 170 Today

General Urko

GDPR

It's not considered a true milestone unlike 175 or 200 but there has been a bit of media coverage today.
It was first raised publicly in our oldest city, Waterford today, 170 years ago.

I for one actually like it and think it's highly appropriate for our nation!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0307/945558-tricolour_170_years/

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/fifteen-facts-about-the-irish-flag-for-its-170th-birthday-1.2362893

Irish Tricolour marks 170th anniversary | Newstalk
Yes its lovely. I always look out for it when I am abroad.

And it is totally recogniseable, unless you are Wullie Frazer.

Lord Talbot

Its a poorly conceived flag that the "Orange" have never accepted, which puts religious identity front and centre, unlike the French or German tricolours which symbolise common values, not ethno-religious tribal designation.

Won't survive reunification, like many other sacred cows of the present day ROI.

McTell

Twitter
No

HarshBuzz

Time to take this thing into the digital age!

We need a flag that matches our times. Something that communicates our national brand identity.

McSlaggart

It's not considered a true milestone unlike 175 or 200 but there has been a bit of media coverage today.
It was first raised publicly in our oldest city, Waterford today, 170 years ago.
I must admit to respecting the flag for what it represents but wish we had gone for the starry plough.

Wascurito

Its a poorly conceived flag that the "Orange" have never accepted, which puts religious identity front and centre, unlike the French or German tricolours which symbolise common values, not ethno-religious tribal designation.

Won't survive reunification, like many other sacred cows of the present day ROI.
You're probably correct.

Bill

Can we have a day off?

Boy M5

Glad you admit
It's RE unification

And it's

Inevitable

Niall996

I could go for that.

Niall996

I like this one. And it puts our glorious mná on our flag.

ruserious

It would be the perfect flag for the Republic so envisaged by the leaders of 1798. Catholic and Protestant and freethinker united as Irishmen and women. A secular State with two traditions working for the betterment of all. Oh what could have been.

Niall996

Or this one.

I think everyone can relate to some bit of this or another.

Windowshopper

Probably my favourite for a UI.

It's too busy. A good flag is simple and can de drawn by anyone IMO.

Last edited:

Niall996

It would be the perfect flag for the Republic so envisaged by the leaders of 1798. Catholic and Protestant and freethinker united as Irishmen and women. A secular State with two traditions working for the betterment of all. Oh what could have been.
The Proddies weren't interested in that lovely vision though.

Windowshopper

You're probably right re unification much the same for Amhrán na bhFhiann, though I have affection for them both, and I suspect what will replace them would be inferior.

It was a progressive flag for it's time.

Betson

Or this one.

I think it should be easy draw , every school child should be able to draw it.

As flags go the one we have is good one and I would not be in a hurry to change it , the only other flag that comes close is the Ivory Coast one.

Se0samh

I think it should be easy draw , every school child should be able to draw it.

As flags go the one we have is good one and I would not be in a hurry to change it , the only other flag that comes close is the Ivory Coast one.

Shoulda been in Donegall Place the day they flew the Italian one on Belfast City Hall.....:lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies