Over 500 new residential developments named i nGaeilge amháin over the last few years

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
In the early 90's Galway City councillors passed a motion that in order to help foster a strong bilingual city that all future new residential developments would be named solely in Irish. Shannon councillors have also passed in effect the same motion and it is council policy in Cork County Council that all social developments be named in Irish also although in the latter the policy does not often get implemented.

In 2003 Gael-Taca in Cork came out with a free service to property developments to give them names in Irish for their choice of names. Since then over 200 developments have been named in Irish through them. Every developer on the island has received an information package from Gael-Taca; many have been contacted twice and a good few of them- although largely in Munster only- were rang. Pádraig Ó Cuanacháin their Marketing Director who died last year was the man responsible for dealing with the developers although I believe others in the organisation actually came up with the names.

Recently as I am working part-time and have a good bit of free time I went through some property websites (mainly daft.ie) for several counties and made slideshows of the developments named in Irish and uploaded them on Slideshare.net. I told myself that I would just do a few. But as seen as I have a lot of free time I said "Sure why not do them all." I have done 22 counties and will have over 400 names. I'll be finished them all on Tuesday or Wednesday and will try to get some coverage in the media for the topic.

I have uploaded the slideshows for 11 counties. I will let you all know when I am finished.

The counties so far with the most developments in Irish over the last few years are:

Donegal 33
Westmeath 18
Longford 18
Leitrim 24
Wexford 25
Clare 39
Kerry 33
Monaghan 17
Tipperary 20

The majority overall in Galway are also named in Irish but I have yet to do that county. There are also a very large number in county Cork (there are few in the city and suburbs) and I believe a significant number in Wexford. There are a significant number in Cavan also. These are the four I have yet do.

I think that all councils- county, city and town- should have naming committees. Several counties have them. The use of names in Irish should be officially encouraged although not required unless councillors vote to name all of their developments in Irish (and, no, I am not going to bother lobbying them about the latter). All developments should in my view be named bilingually at a minimum with equal-status in terms of size and font on the entrance pillars to new developments. The developer of course should be free to market whatever name he wants.

I am posting this up now instead of waiting until I am finished as frankly I find the development (or developments) very exciting and I was in Gael-Taca and had the honour of working with Pádraig Ó Cuanacháin. I sent him down the names of around 250 developments over a four year period and he contacted the developers commending them on their decision to choose an Irish name(s) and informing them of their free service for the future if they wanted to use it. Given that Irish was for most years since independence a sign of failure I find this development(s)- largely over the last 5/6 years- to be brilliant. It shows that the language has economic value and is popular if people choose to make use of out it as a marketing tool...

The counties with the smallest number of developments named in Irish I could see in terms of the overall number of developments are 1) Dublin 11 2) Kildare 9 3) Carlow 5 4) Laois 6 and 7) Wicklow 1.

Again, I will post up when I am finished. I believe that my little 'project' is going to be a great resource and very encouraging for those of us who love the language.

R-Tionscadal Tithíochta (2009) | Housing E-Project (2009)- Darren J. Prior (Mac an Phríora)

Le dea-mhéin

Darren

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Deleted member 17573

Probably marginally more interesting than stamp collecting and a good deal less interesting than train spotting at Limerick Junction :cool:

asset test

Do the names as Gaeilge reflect in any way the history or culture of the surroundings? Not asking you to answer that Darren, but a place called "Tuscany Downs" in Baldoyle, Dublin always made me smile, as did "Beverly Downs" in Templeogue. I'm sure there are many others, and I know I am referring to English estate names, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Interesting project, but can I ask what you propose to do with your findings?

DJP

Website
Twitter
Do the names as Gaeilge reflect in any way the history or culture of the surroundings? Not asking you to answer that Darren, but a place called "Tuscany Downs" in Baldoyle, Dublin always made me smile, as did "Beverly Downs" in Templeogue. I'm sure there are many others, and I know I am referring to English estate names, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Interesting project, but can I ask what you propose to do with your findings?
Again as I said I will try to get some publicity in the media. I should do I think. At a minimum I will network a bit (e.g. like now) to put the info. out there...

Yes I know what you mean. I came across one development somewhere called "Tír na nÓg". I didn't include it because it is frankly stupid.

blucey

Darren - what on earth makes you think the media would care a good goddam? Hellooo?

DJP

Website
Twitter
Darren - what on earth makes you think the media would care a good goddam? Hellooo?
Well I highlighted the question of Irish names for new residential developments in all the main local newspapers in Dublin West when I was in Gael-Taca.

asset test

Leave him alone BoE! Local media might be interested to see where the placenames came from etc. A survey of the residents might be good, to see if they understand the name of the road they are living on. Ah it might be interesting to see who came up with the names and why. Not a crime really.

blucey

Well I highlighted the question of Irish names for new residential developments in all the main local newspapers in Dublin West when I was in Gael-Taca.
well done. Meanwhile, the rest of the county went on regardless. D - Dublin West isnt the country. Its not even dublin.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Meant West Dublin. I highlighted the question in (the best local newspaper in Dublin 15) "Community Voice" twice, "City Wide News (West)" which extends from town over to Maynooth surprisingly, "The Northside People (West)" which covers of course all of the North-West of the county and "The Blanch Gazette" twice.

Note: I am not a leader regarding promoting Irish. I am a (very) occasional activist- sin é. If we have a lot more very occasional activists the state of Irish would improve...

DJP

Website
Twitter
Update: actually I won't be finished today but should be finished by the end of the week. I will have over 500. I can't change the title of the thread though.... There are around 80 in Galway in the last few years... :eek: I will be chaning the OP also...

bradán feasa

Sinn Féin Cllr Peadar Tóibín has tried to put a provision for Irish only naming of housing estates in the current Navan Development Plan. But the Fine Gael Cllr Jim Halloway opposed it withall his might saying that it was tyrannical and dictatorial (I kid you not) and shouting that no wonder there was 30 years of fighting in the north. I believe that he managed to have it watered down in the county council chamber.

Darren you might have a word with Cllr Halloway if you can?

DJP

Website
Twitter
I believe that he managed to have it watered down in the county council chamber.
To what...??? I've just sent him an email. He looks like a grumpy kind of guy from his photo on the FG website although I know that some people can come out looking both very good and very bad in different photos... :rolleyes: :D

DJP

Website
Twitter
I've just read a motion by the councillor. This was in December 2007 was it? Again I am not going to bother lobbying councillors on this generally. If motions are put forward I may send all the councillors an email but sin é.

Notice of Motion - Cllr. Peadar Tóibín
“In an effort to support the growth of the Irish language within the town and to show support to our Gaeltacht neighbours Rathcairn and Bailegibb (Rathcairn being one of the fastest growing Gaeltachtaí in the country) this council will ensure that all new Housing Estates and Apartment Complexes built in the Navan Town Council area will be given only Irish Language names. This initiative will cost nothing yet will help position the Irish language in the everyday day experience of the people of the Navan”.

Culann

Sinn Féin Cllr Peadar Tóibín has tried to put a provision for Irish only naming of housing estates in the current Navan Development Plan. But the Fine Gael Cllr Jim Halloway opposed it withall his might saying that it was tyrannical and dictatorial (I kid you not) and shouting that no wonder there was 30 years of fighting in the north. I believe that he managed to have it watered down in the county council chamber.

Darren you might have a word with Cllr Halloway if you can?

Typical of a lot of people in the Fine Gael party. I'm not surprised. What damage could be done by that proposal? How could it hurt anyone?

Fun with Irish

Again as I said I will try to get some publicity in the media. I should do I think. At a minimum I will network a bit (e.g. like now) to put the info. out there...

Yes I know what you mean. I came across one development somewhere called "Tír na nÓg". I didn't include it because it is frankly stupid.
It will be interesting to observe over the coming years how these Irish names come to be pronounced by the locals. After all, every place in Ireland had an Irish name one time, and by a natural process the pronunciations became modified or truncated. Naturally also, in latter times, the modifications reflect English language phonetics and cadences. When people find a word written in a language that they do not speak, they give it sounds from the language that they do speak.

Can you Darren put your finger on exactly what will be retained or renewed by calling for example, Nenagh by its Irish name. That was An t-Aonach, pronounced Naynah by some people in my time. The written version, attributing standard English, has replaced the spoken version. Similarly, the place called Portroo (u) on Loch Derg is more and more being called Portroe (o), taking standard English spelling rules.

Fun with Irish

Recently as I am working part-time and have a good bit of free time I went through some property websites (mainly daft.ie) for several counties and made slideshows of the developments named in Irish and uploaded them on Slideshare.net. I told myself that I would just do a few. But as seen as I have a lot of free time I said "Sure why not do them all." I have done 22 counties and will have over 400 names. I'll be finished them all on Tuesday or Wednesday and will try to get some coverage in the media for the topic.
I have uploaded the slideshows for 11 counties. I will let you all know when I am finished.

Darren Prior’s Presentations on SlideShare

Le dea-mhéin

Darren
It will be interesting in the future to see how the English-spaeking population renders these Irish placenames, for example 'Clais Beag' becoming 'Clashbeg'. We know this process well from the experience of a couple of hundred years.

However, apart from the language interest, there is another reason that readers should look up Darren's slide show on housing estates. It is probably the best extant compendium of the building/architecural styles of our suburban housing developments during the last ten years. It is a historical document to be saved by anybody interested in this subject.

Clanrickard

Probably marginally more interesting than stamp collecting and a good deal less interesting than train spotting at Limerick Junction :cool:
Darren is to be commended for his efforts. Less commendable is the residual group of people who can resist making snide comments about the Irish language. A dying breed thankfully.

New Threads

Most Replies