• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Over 70s medical card

constitutionus

no need is there ?

the gov got what they wanted, they just have to wait for the current crop to drop off.

which in the main should be in about 5yrs.

Bridget558

This is a rather vague thread title. What issue about Medical Cards for the over seventies concerns you ?
The fact that a 70 year old couple on over 1k perweek can have a medical card while a widow in her 40s with teenage children will lose her medical card if she takes up a crap min wage job.

ALAN42

The fact that a 70 year old couple on over 1k perweek can have a medical card while a widow in her 40s with teenage children will lose her medical card if she takes up a crap min wage job.

I have actually addressed this with my parents . The swearing was shocking . All in all , thet have lived through 3 busts and long periods of high taxation . My Dad who is a cripple and who actually marched last time around just mutters ' corrupt bastards ' while my Mother questions my sanity for even asking .

They can try to take their medical cards . But better you than me !

Inda Kenny

Why not simply means test people for eligilbilty.
As a matter of interest what haapens in other European countries?

Inda Kenny

Well if they can't means test for child benefit I doubt they will be able to means test the medical cards.
Amazing that the top computer companies in the world are based here and we can't means devise a computer programme for means testingor develop a joined up smart card for travelling around Dublin on various types of transport

jackryan

The free TV Licence should be tackled first take it off everyone! I'd like to see them get sympathy when they are out marching for that one!! Means test this medical card and a levy on PS pensions and even levy more those exPSers who are still working!

charley

The free TV Licence should be tackled first take it off everyone! I'd like to see them get sympathy when they are out marching for that one!! Means test this medical card and a levy on PS pensions and even levy more those exPSers who are still working!
TV licence should be abolished anyway. RTE should be able to get enough from advertising to survive

Broke

Bring it on . MY 76 year old Dad and 70 year od Mother are just biting at the bit for another crack at FF .
So are my parents ready to march again.I just hope my generation can join them this time,so the poor are not forced to foot the bill yet again.

jimbo99

It is a means tested benefit.
It is means tested on a voluntary disclosure basis. There is no way for the HSE to cross check between revenue and HSE. If you tell them you are earning less than the threshold or tell them nothing they have no way of checking.

Barnacle

It is means tested on a voluntary disclosure basis. There is no way for the HSE to cross check between revenue and HSE. If you tell them you are earning less than the threshold or tell them nothing they have no way of checking.

The HSE cannot cross check with Revenue, how crazy is that. All they have to do is provide the PPS numbers to Revenue, its 2010, its all on computer. What preventing them from doing cross checking?

jimbo99

The HSE cannot cross check with Revenue, how crazy is that. All they have to do is provide the PPS numbers to Revenue, its 2010, its all on computer. What preventing them from doing cross checking?
Why do you think they cannot means test child benefit, because the dept of social welfare (or whatever they are called now) cannot crosscheck with the revenue. Maybe the croke park agreement will allow them all to talk to each other. Remember PPARS even the HSE computers couldnt talk to themselves.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies