Overseas Aid Budget is Absurd...

drjimryan2

Overseas aid
Increase of €21million in overseas development assistance next year. Irelandwill provide €837million in 2020 to be invested in less developed countries.

ABSURD....I'll say it again........

When you consider that we are funding education in India from this budget whilst they buy nuclear bombs and fighter jets.......it really is absurd.......

Do people realise the amount we are spending........

McTell

Twitter
No
837 mill would solve our housing and homeless shortage right there.

The state and its agencies already owns thousands of acres in county dublin. Building roads, services and blocks of flats is not rocket science.

The more we give the third world, the more their populations grow, the more problems appear. Malawi has gone from 4m in the 1960s to 20m now, with no extra resources to feed those mouths, except what we give them.

There's no margin in "overseas aid" for them or us, end of.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Overseas aid
Increase of €21million in overseas development assistance next year. Irelandwill provide €837million in 2020 to be invested in less developed countries.

ABSURD....I'll say it again........

When you consider that we are funding education in India from this budget whilst they buy nuclear bombs and fighter jets.......it really is absurd.......

Do people realise the amount we are spending........
Actually I was almost relieved to see it 'only' went up by 21 MILLION

- they have plans to up it to TWO BILLION PER ANNUM!

Maybe reality is finally beginning to bite!

Overseas aid must rise by €115m a year to reach Government target

omgsquared

Actually I was almost relieved to see it 'only' went up by 21 MILLION

- they have plans to up it to TWO BILLION PER ANNUM!

Maybe reality is finally beginning to bite!

Overseas aid must rise by €115m a year to reach Government target
no discussion, no debate. a complete waste of money.

omgsquared

so we will continue to just keep borrowing money to give away..Now Ireland are trying to get a seat on the UN security council. The UN in New York another huge dis functional hot air maker..

McTell

Twitter
No
We should bring back our "aid workers" to help out on our worst estates and poorest areas here. After all, people are people.

Except they're not, the aid worker gets to signal his/her virtue by being surrounded by happy smiling faces organised by the local aid recipient, and that ain't gonna happen in finglas.

Q "Even street theatre has its uses; discuss"

shutuplaura

I’d support payments to fund birth control, most men in the 3rd world are backward and wouldn’t have it but some would. The women there are more intelligent and responsible and we could put them on birth control.
I believe that this actually is happening.

I am surprised it is so high though. The only convincing argument I have heard to justify the high levels of international development aid given by the West is that without it, there would be greater numbers of refugees coming to Europe since it is actually effective in improving people's lives and opportunity in the developing world. International aid does save lives so there is humanitarian considerations, but it does seem nuts borrowing cash for overseas aid when these countries are not examples of fiscal rectitude.

Actual disaster relief I don't really have a problem with.

tsarbomb

We certainly spend far too much on foreign handouts. A lot of the countries we give money to like Zimbabwe, Vietnam and Uganda shouldn't be getting a penny because of their governments. There's info on the waste of money here...

It's true that an effort should be put into population control in these places. Voluntary sterilisation programs, where people would agree to be sterilised in exchange for money would represent good value in the long run.

Sinn Féin are clearly in favour of spending a lot more.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies