Owen O'Callaghan RIP

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
God love him but was all the stress worth it in the end. R.I.P.

DaveM

This thread should be locked. I can only see it going one way.

LDF

May he rest in Mrs Martin's Account.

Henry94.

He certainly re-shaped Cork with Opera Lane, Merchants Quay, Mahon Point etc. Is it te case of big bad developers buying politicians or politicians standing in the way of developments unless there is a pay-off of some kind?

Watcher2

Mahon Tribunal exposed a lot of the methods he used to create his "legacy", probably one of FF's largest and longest donor.
For the after life believers, will Tom Gilmartin be sitting in judgement of him "up there"? If he even gets "up there". Some scurrilous shenanigans in his past ala Mahon Tribunal.

mr_anderson

Do developers offer cash inducements or do politicians make it known that without such 'gifts', nothing will succeed ?

The reason I ask is that I know a lot of developers.
And none freely give money unless absolutely necessary.

HereWeGoAgain

no,his wife will
Sinead Desmond:
“You’re representing a new Fianna Fail, but then I was thinking about two things from your past. One of them being a – totally legitimate – donation by Owen O’Callaghan that found its way into your wife’s Dublin bank account. That seemed strange to me and had a sniff of the old Fianna Fail.

Martin:
“My wife and I worked together in terms of the politics at the time. There’s nothing strange about that. We both lived in Dublin for that period and so there was nothing in that. When I say I lived in Dublin I was up here during the week in the Dail. Mary worked in Dublin for that year so there’s nothing wrong with that at all and no one has ever suggested any impropriety or any wrongdoing in terms of that.”

So, Why Did That Money End Up In Your Wife’s Bank Account, Mr Martin? | Broadsheet.ie

HereWeGoAgain

For more than 40 years Owen O'Callaghan has been one of the country's most successful property developers, with projects like Liffey Valley in Dublin and Mahon Point and Opera Lane in Cork. He has also been a very controversial figure.

In 1995, the then Public Enterprise Minister Michael Lowry claimed that a golden circle was operating in Irish business.
link
O'Callaghan - successful developer & controversial

PeaceGoalie

The Generations will remember them and call them blessed

jmayo

Property developer, Owen O'Callaghan, dies after short battle with illness | Irish Examiner

Property developer Owen O'Callaghan has died. Leaves a fine legacy in Cork and further afield.

RIP
Fook him.

There I said it.

All I know of the man was that he was corrupt and made payments to that corrupt shyster dunlop.
He helped screw over someone that had some principles and he was in bed with fianna fail including it's current leader.

A load of people thinks "ah shure what about a few backhanders and shure didn't he do great things building stuff".

Except they don't acknowledge that they circumvented the rules and ultimately those rules are there to protect the people.

HereWeGoAgain

Owen and his wife Sheelagh suffered deep personal loss when their daughter Hazel aged 22 died in a freak accident, sustaining a head injury while unloading horses from a lorry.
It must have proved the most difficult time for them - Hazel was their youngest daughter and on the crest of a wave with much to achieve.

RIP

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies