P.ie's recommended places to eat in Ireland ...

ger12

Your best meal eating out was? Expensive? Cheap?

Where locally to you would you recommend?

I was in An Daingean (Dingle) during the summer and had an evening meal in a place called "Grey's Lane Bistro". Jaysas, but it was fab. The local cheese used in the creative pear starter was unbelievable. Best meal out in years (which is a lot less often than a decade ago :|) and it didn't break the bank. Service was excellent too.

Another really decent place for breakfast and lunch is surprising really as it's such a tourist attraction, Maguires Coffee Shop at the Hill of Tara. It's usually pretty busy with tourists. Great chowder, steak sandwich and a really tasty poached egg breakfast with home made bread. Best coffee my coffee friend lover has ever tasted (I stick to tea).

When on the road, the Apple Green in Stillorgan does a pretty decent soup range, really hearty. ;)

amist4

Anglers Rest for chowder.

ger12

Max Snax in Ballymoney - wonderful chipper.
A decent chipper is worth a go.

The Roma (Park Street) in Dundalk has the finest chips I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

ger12

corporal punishment

KC's chipper in Douglas. Legendary.

ger12

There used to be a place in Galway (twenty bloody years ago, jaysas, where does the time go) called Scottys. The subs were lovely, pickles and all sorts of yokes before we all got fancy.

Any know if it's still there?

Last edited:

Hewson

If you're passing through Gort in Co. Galway the Kettle of Fish (on the main street, just beside AIB) is the 1 Michelin Star of chippers. Run by a Welsh chap whose name I never got.

Emily Davison

The most outstanding meal we had was in Greens, at the back of Isaacs, opposite the Metropole in Cork. Unbelievably amazing. The maitre d there from Morocco was amazing.

Oscars in Galway.

The Thai in Malahide.

Also had a good, very reasonable priced steak in a place in Swords, the name will come back to me. We avoid eating at the airport. Recommend a tiny place in the airport. It does great smoked salmon and other stuff, tiny place. If that's the wrong time, while buying the rashers I/we buy a wonderful fish salad from Wrights of Howth for the airplane.

La Fontaine in Waterford.

Expose the lot of them

This place - heaven on a plate.

Cafe Paradiso - Cork
Vegetarian with vegan options - no thanks. Just as well I checked out the link - will be in Cork sometime over the next few weeks, would have tried it if it served real food.;)

There is a great fish place in Cork, not much more than a chipper with seats but excellent food, is it Quinlans?

Expose the lot of them

There used to be a place in Galway (twenty bloody years ago, jaysas, where does the time go) called Scottys. The subs were lovely, pickles and all sorts of yokes before we all got fancy.

Any know if it's still there?
On the subject of Galway 20 years ago, had a great meal in a little restaurant in Clifden, near the Alcock & Brown hotel. I am sure it is long gone.

Hewson

There's an Italian restaurant in Killarney the name of which I forget (can't be too many there and it's not a pizza joint) that surpassed any Italian restaurant I've eaten in in Italy (apart from one near Rome that seemed to have only seriously Mafia-type customers).

Copper & Spice in Limerick City, near the market, is top notch.

Rothschild

I had the nicest steak I have had the other day
And a Great Pint there too
The Merry Ploughboy Ratfarnham on the way up to Dublin Mountains
Superb
I don't have enough posts to put a link up but well worth checking out

Angler

It's been a while , but Donnelys of Barna used to have the best fish and chips that I've ever had anywhere , ever .

amist4

Where? (I hate spuds in chowder)
Chapelizod. Cant recall if it has spuds tbh, I make my own now from a fantastic recipe I got in a dedictaed class some years ago. Never occured to me to put spuds in mind so I am guessing they don't.

fat finger

Best breakfast ever was at the caff on the square in Ballyragget. But that's some years ago, don't know is it still going strong. Would hope so

fat finger

If you're passing through Gort in Co. Galway the Kettle of Fish (on the main street, just beside AIB) is the 1 Michelin Star of chippers. Run by a Welsh chap whose name I never got.
It'll probably be Evans or Jones, you could always try that and see what he says

flavirostris

The Saltee Chipper, Kilmore Quay, Wexford - Best fish and chips in Ireland.

My tastes are pretty low brow. I do enjoy a burrito in Tolteca of Baggot St.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies