P.ie's recommended places to eat in Ireland ...

NYCKY

Spa Seafoods just outside Tralee.

They sell fish downstairs but upstairs you get the catch of the day. If you time it right you can get a lovely view of the sun setting over Tralee Bay.

Everything is lovely and fresh, generous portions, good service and good selection. I always try to make it out there when I am back.

Rural

My place, great craic and the food isn't bad either.:)

But another place in Wexford is The Vine, Wexford Town, the food is magnificent, the surroundings and staff are welcoming, you're also not swept out the door when the meal is finished either and can sit chatting for hours.

Vine Restaurant Wexford, Restaurants Wexford, Thai Restaurants

GDPR

But another place in Wexford is The Vine, Wexford Town, the food is magnificent, the surroundings and staff are welcoming, you're also not swept out the door when the meal is finished either and can sit chatting for hours.

Vine Restaurant Wexford, Restaurants Wexford, Thai Restaurants
Yep, it's our designated going out for a meal spot.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Prester Jim

Chez Hans in Cashel, bleeding lovely food. Ballymore Inn in Ballymore Eustace.

Mushroom

But it only gets two and a half stars on Trip Advisor!

Almost 40% of the reviewers didn't like the tripe and onions, although the rhubarb and custard was universally popular.

hiding behind a poster

On the subject of Galway 20 years ago, had a great meal in a little restaurant in Clifden, near the Alcock & Brown hotel. I am sure it is long gone.
The pub across the road from the Alcock used to do very good comfort food, again its yonks since I've been there though.

hiding behind a poster

There's an Italian restaurant in Killarney the name of which I forget (can't be too many there and it's not a pizza joint) that surpassed any Italian restaurant I've eaten in in Italy (apart from one near Rome that seemed to have only seriously Mafia-type customers).
You know that in Italy, Italian restaurants are just called restaurants? Best pizza place in Rome is called "Est, Est, Est", and its magnificent - I still drool at the thought of my quatro formaggio arriving with cheese literally dripping from the sides.

hiding behind a poster

The Chili Club off Grafton Street is lovely and cosy if you like Thai food. Pacino's on Suffolk Street is grand (Italian). Youngsters still go for the Captain America on Grafton.
Yep, Pacino's is good.

hiding behind a poster

Expose the lot of them

The pub across the road from the Alcock used to do very good comfort food, again its yonks since I've been there though.
There was another hotel on that side, I seem to remember that the proprietor shared his name with either Michael Collins or Kevin Barry, can't remember which,it was close to 30 years ago.

SEAMAI

Had dinner in Pickle in Camden St. (Dublin) street a few weeks ago. I'm not sure it's an age thing but I'm getting harder to impress when it comes to eating out. I cook a lot at home so when I do eat out I like to try something different. Pickle didn't disappoint, it's Indian but not as most people would know it. Probably nearer to real deal with a few modern twists, found myself wondering what some of the new flavours I was tasting were. Definitely worth checking out, though I'd book to be on the safe side at weekends.

Mushroom

That would probably have been E J King's. Still there as far as I know.

A grand spot for an Irish Coffee, preferably enjoyed while reading Saturday's Irish Times or the Sunday Tribune and watching the world go by*, back in the day!

* in Clifden "watching the world go by" all too often meant watching the rain bucketing down on the bewildered hikers, clad in their fancy hiking boots, woolen socks, trekking shorts, and fancy haversacks!

Mushroom

There was another hotel on that side, I seem to remember that the proprietor shared his name with either Michael Collins or Kevin Barry, can't remember which,it was close to 30 years ago.
There was - and still is - it's called Foyles Hotel and here it is!

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Picaderos in Maynooth Spanish and Tapas, fantastic food and plenty of it.

Also, the Larder on Parliament St in Dublin does some amazing food and also do their own beer.

For Pub Grub, the Hop House in Galway is up there for me, also does a great beer selection of world and home microbrewed stuff.

Emily Davison

The place to eat at in Dublin airport is called Flutes. Really nice, but very busy. Met a teacher there once, (in last couple of years) she was flying to Donegal and her baby, young child, was being driven to Donegal by car by her husband. I also know a woman from Galway, also a teacher, used to get a flight from Dublin to Galway during the Celtic tiger. I know the flights to Galway no longer exists, not sure about Donegal, maybe she was flying to Derry to go to Donegal (hope that makes sense). Must be a thing, with women or teachers !

I ate once in Mother Hubbards I think it was called. Dreadful greasy place to be avoided.

The place I had a lovely reasonable steak in Swords is called The Empire. I'm going to go back there.

Roly's Bistroy in Ballsbridge was great. Not sure if it still exists but we brought the children there and we all loved it. That's been there for years.

Avoid Temple Bar, dreadful place.

Dunmore East is great for fish. In Co. Waterford. As is the hotel in Garryvoe in Co. Cork. Used to have a genius of a chef. Lucinda O'Sullivan recommended it so we went there.

Near Limerick, a handy place for lunch is Finnegals, just off the motorway. Which reminds me, there is a Supermacs now near Birdhill (is that the right place). Only place on that motorway and so we've never been as we prefer a real restaurant.

Emily Davison

There used to be a place in Galway (twenty bloody years ago, jaysas, where does the time go) called Scottys. The subs were lovely, pickles and all sorts of yokes before we all got fancy.

Any know if it's still there?
McSwiggans used to be great in Galway, but no longer. Park House you can't go wrong. But very traditional and a real Galway institution. But Oscars, fish, is the best.

Forget to mention the Farmer's Market in Cork. Farmgate cafe. There are two sides, one self service. But forget going there until lunchhour is well over or you'll never get a table. I actually prefer the off shoot in Midleton. There's a whisky distilllary there too.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom