Paddy Jackson to sue Amadan O'Riordan, over Twitter comment

AyaanMyHero

I wish Diageo had not made this decision. Bad for the sport, but I really don't know if this was a big sponsorship deal. Diageo don't seem to be the biggest sponsor of the team. Anyone know the deal size ?

I wish Diageo had just made no comment on the reasons for the decision. It gives encouragement to the type of SJW that feels they can rattle businesses into harming people the SJWs want harmed. I skipped my usual Guinness last night because of this.

I cannot comment on whether this was a good business decision or not for Diageo. They are the experts.

I appeeciate the comments from London Irish about their decision to sign Jackson. Paraphrasing: They want the best team, what's done is done, we judge him on this actions while at London Irish. An organisation that is focussed on what it should be focussed on: The sport. Somebody said some fans may walk because of the decision. I doubt it somehow but we'll see.

owedtojoy

I saw that in the IT today.
I hope that their contract allows them to do this, because I doubt if a London jury would accept this sort of treatment re a person who was acquitted unanimously on all counts.
They could not do it if he was found not guilty of rape.

But he did not lose his contract over being found not guilty of rape.

He was let go because of a Whatapps group who considered themselves "legends" for "roasting" "Belfast sluts". The attitudes to young women portrayed were so negative that it was considered that he had brought his team and his sport into disrepute.

SuirView

He was let go because of a Whatapps group who considered themselves "legends" for "roasting" "Belfast sluts". The attitudes to young women portrayed were so negative that it was considered that he had brought his team and his sport into disrepute.

The IRFU got rid of Jackson!
Disagree with that too?

AyaanMyHero

Fergus Finlay (heading a campaign to lessen abusive alcohol consumption) gives Jackson a good scolding, agrees with the Diageo decision, while pointing out the dangers of drinking too much of their products. One of the most brilliant dog whistles ever ? 😂

Beachcomber

Diageo, the owner of Guinness, has cancelled its sponsorship of London Irish Rugby Club due to the club’s decision to sign former Ulster and Ireland out half Paddy Jackson.
Mr Jackson was acquitted of rape by a Belfast court last year, alongside three other men who had been charged in relation to the incident, including for less serious offences. Stuart Olding, who was at the time also contracted to Ulster Rugby, was also acquitted of rape. Both men had their professional contracts cancelled in the wake of the acquittal.
In a statement to The Irish Times, Diageo said: “We have met with the club to express our concerns. Their recent decision is not consistent with our values and so we have ended our sponsorship.”

Good.

Beachcomber

Dick move by Diageo - needless virtue signaling, probably to justify a decision they'd already made re: London Irish. We could save a fortune on the whole legal process if we just decide to hand it over to SJWs on Facebook and Twitter.

Innocent until you get 1m "likes" on #hesguilty.

Who is innocent?

Beachcomber

That's the bottom line.

Well said.

AyaanMyHero

I thought Waterford Whispers News' take on this was quite good! ;)
Alcohol Brand Now The Shining Beacon Of Moral Authority
Some people (in the Facebook comments) could not see the funny side of that.

Looking at the following headline, you begin to understand why Diageo pulled the plug.

Diageo should have tried to skulk away quietly. But no, they got up on the high horse.

MsDaisyC

Looking at the following headline, you begin to understand why Diageo pulled the plug.

Diageo should have tried to skulk away quietly. But no, they got up on the high horse.
Not only them, but Cash Converters have withdrawn sponsorship too. A pawn shop and loan shark charging 1281% are claiming the highground over TopShagger. The stench of what he did will follow him for the rest of his life.

AyaanMyHero

Not only them, but Cash Converters have withdrawn sponsorship too. A pawn shop and loan shark charging 1281% are claiming the highground over TopShagger. The stench of what he did will follow him for the rest of his life.
No love of loan sharks but I did not hear any holier than thou BS from them. Did you ?

owedtojoy

The IRFU got rid of Jackson!
Disagree with that too?
Absolutely not.

I would have had to seriously question my allegiance to Irish rugby if they let his texts pass. But clearly they had no option.

owedtojoy

Diageo made a mature,, commercial decision, and there are probably teams galore fighting to get their sponsorship. They will not lose a single customer over it.

Infantile attacks on them are p*ssing into the wind.

They have just get the bar for anyone who wants to approach them. Damn right.

Emily Davison

What are the ‘values’ of Diageo ? Getting people pissed, and cowardice against some sectarian, so called feminist, social media bullies ? boycott Diageo !
You should listen to Fergus Slattery on RTE radio, with others on SOR. If ever Paddy needed help from a rugger bugger he got it in spades. Ye haw.

New Threads

Top Bottom