• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Paddy Powers should be jailed not the poor mug punter

timfinnegan

I see a poor lad from Carlow got a 4 year custodial sentence for defrauding An Post of €1.7m. He lost it all to Paddy Powers. PPs semmingly feted and dined the poor lad inviting him to corporate events as he robbed to feed his addiction.

No doubt there are many other ruined lives due to the gambling epedimic in this state.

Analyzer

About time somebody raised the issue of gambling addiction in this country.

The greatest farce of all is that there are radio shows sponsored by gambling firms which offer "charity bets".

Needless to say, I don't think any of the money goes to Gamblers Anonymous.

Some presenters seem to have charity bets following them around from one show to the next, and even from one radio station to the next. Fascinating really.

Anyway we had a collection of gamblers running the country for a while.

How did that work out ?

james toney

Should the post office get their money back?

davidcameron

I see a poor lad from Carlow got a 4 year custodial sentence for defrauding An Post of €1.7m. He lost it all to Paddy Powers. PPs semmingly feted and dined the poor lad inviting him to corporate events as he robbed to feed his addiction.

No doubt there are many other ruined lives due to the gambling epedimic in this state.
Former post office manager jailed for

He was an addict but he wasn't insane. He had a choice. He could have asked for help to combat his addiction.

What he did is terrible for anyone to do but the fact that he was a post office manager makes the crime even worse because he was in a position of trust.

timfinnegan

I would like to see all bookmakers closed down and all gambling internet sites barred. This is done in many countries where punters are only allowed bet on course with the state regulated tote.

Why can't we have this in the state. I've no doubt it'sbecause of the many vested interests and large brown envelopes.

carlovian

Did paddy power make him rob the money?
No, they didn't.

In fact they didn't seem to care that a post office worker was able to place bets of 40,000 on
Norwegian soccer and have a turnover of 10million on an account.

I'd say this guy is the tip of the iceberg and I thought the sentence on him was harsh considering
there was a clear addiction there and he had no previous convictions.

PlanetBertie

I would like to see all bookmakers closed down and all gambling internet sites barred. This is done in many countries where punters are only allowed bet on course with the state regulated tote.

Why can't we have this in the state. I've no doubt it'sbecause of the many vested interests and large brown envelopes.
I bet this won't happen.

james toney

In Ireland a special case is made for people who gambled and lost,they get their money back.
They are called Bondholders.

dub14

Why not ban drink and cigarettes. Throw in chocolate biscuits and dry roasted peanuts (I have a weakness) as well. Ban anything that we can spend disposable income on.

This guy robbed to feed a habit. It could have just as easily been any other habit that costs money - it doesn't matter. The way PP fed the beast is very questionable but to say that everyone else who gambles in moderation should also suffer is nonsense. We are grown ups, we earn our own money and we have the right to choose what to spend it on. The law is there to take care of things outside of this.

Rural

4 years is steep, especially as this man has an addiction - If An Post had proper checks on what was coming in and going out, this couldn't have happened.

There was a young lady who got 2 months suspended for shoving a glass into another young lady's face.

bob3367

So a guy steals to satisfy his addiction, gets caught and goes to jail, and the whingers are out...

Suppose ye will apply the same to drug addicts, alcoholics , sex deviants....

He is a grown man, do the crime serve the time...

Catalpast

When the account was examined, it was found that over the period of time, it had a turnover of €10m, with €8.3m in winnings and €1.7m in losses.

Beats the Interest Rate on your Bank deposit anyway!:shock:

I take it he has handed back the profits?:D

timfinnegan

Why not ban drink and cigarettes. Throw in chocolate biscuits and dry roasted peanuts (I have a weakness) as well. Ban anything that we can spend disposable income on.

This guy robbed to feed a habit. It could have just as easily been any other habit that costs money - it doesn't matter. The way PP fed the beast is very questionable but to say that everyone else who gambles in moderation should also suffer is nonsense. We are grown ups, we earn our own money and we have the right to choose what to spend it on. The law is there to take care of things outside of this.
It would be difficult to eat your way through €1.7m of chocolate or smoke that quanity of cigs before popping your clogs.

As I stated earlier, I believe that gamblin in this state should be far more regulated and only allowed on course by a tote or some other equivalent run by the state. If this was the case, I don't believe we would see sad cases like this poor man.

Also the sentence is excessive. I see people getting far less for GBH and even manslaughter.

bob3367

It would be difficult to eat your way through €1.7m of chocolate or smoke that quanity of cigs before popping your clogs.

As I stated earlier, I believe that gamblin in this state should be far more regulated and only allowed on course by a tote or some other equivalent run by the state. If this was the case, I don't believe we would see sad cases like this poor man.

Also the sentence is excessive. I see people getting far less for GBH and even manslaughter.
Or get more for importing garlic guised as apples.....