Paid "Irexit" ads on Facebook

gleeful

There are now sponsored ads on Facebook, with a swish video, promoting Irexit. They are seemingly paid for by "Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy" - which includes UKIP, AfD and other previously Russian funded astroturf groups.

The ad says:

"#IREXIT – Because Ireland Should be Free to Prosper.
Ireland is at risk of becoming a powerless EU province. We believe Ireland should strike for its independence and leave the EU now. What do you think? Should Ireland be free to prosper or shackled to the EU?

Watch this video to see why #IREXIT is of utmost political and economic importance to the future of Ireland and please SHARE it – we want everybody to know what is really going on. Want to know more? Join us at the free “IREXIT: FREE TO PROSPER” Conference in Dublin on Saturday, the 3rd of February. https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/irexit"

I wonder do these ads breach Irish political funding laws.

paddycomeback

There are now sponsored ads on Facebook, with a swish video, promoting Irexit. They are seemingly paid for by "Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy" - which includes UKIP, AfD and other previously Russian funded astroturf groups.

The ad says:

"#IREXIT – Because Ireland Should be Free to Prosper.
Ireland is at risk of becoming a powerless EU province. We believe Ireland should strike for its independence and leave the EU now. What do you think? Should Ireland be free to prosper or shackled to the EU?

Watch this video to see why #IREXIT is of utmost political and economic importance to the future of Ireland and please SHARE it – we want everybody to know what is really going on. Want to know more? Join us at the free “IREXIT: FREE TO PROSPER” Conference in Dublin on Saturday, the 3rd of February. https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/irexit"

I wonder do these ads breach Irish political funding laws.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0401/864315-irish-abortion-rights-campaign-returns-grant-to-us/
Seemingly the maximum that can be donated for domestic political purposes by an organisation that does not keep an office in Ireland is €100.

gleeful

Interestingly, tickets are 50p (yes, Sterling only accepted) only available from a UK site and you need a UK postcode to get one.

Wonder what Nigel plans for Ireland after we throw off the yoke of Europe? Anschlass?

Sync

Interestingly, tickets are 50p (yes, Sterling only accepted) only available from a UK site and you need a UK postcode to get one.

Wonder what Nigel plans for Ireland after we throw off the yoke of Europe? Anschlass?
The tickets are free. It’s 50p for them to send the ticket to your phone, 1.50 for a mailed ticket. You don’t need a postcode, just enter 0. The website is perfectly clear on both those aspects.

There’s 0 chance of this breaching Irish donation laws.

gleeful

The tickets are free. It’s 50p for them to send the ticket to your phone, 1.50 for a mailed ticket. You don’t need a postcode, just enter 0. The website is perfectly clear on both those aspects.

There’s 0 chance of this breaching Irish donation laws.
50p tickets wont pay to rent the RDS. Who paid for it?

paddycomeback

Nigel Farage due to attend. Should be interesting. I don't mind Nigel but homegrown and awayday antifa elements could make it a fraught day.

Sync

50p tickets wont pay to rent the RDS. Who paid for it?
You seem to have a problem with both the fact that the event is partially funded by donations and AND partially funded by the 50p cost of keeping the website going. Really you could just start your OP with “I’ve no evidence of wrongdoing but down with political discourse!”

gleeful

You seem to have a problem with both the fact that the event is partially funded by donations and AND partially funded by the 50p cost of keeping the website going. Really you could just start your OP with “I’ve no evidence of wrongdoing but down with political discourse!”
You dont see the irony of an event calling for Irish independence only accepting a foreign currency as payment?

HenryHorace

I'll be in attendance as will my partner. Its vital for this nations future that at the very least this is discussed as special interest and public service media has let us all down in this regard.

Sheeple_Waker

Sounds like a soft-power event designed at undermining public support for the government’s position, the better to split Ireland from the EU’s position in the Brexit negotiations. I expect to hear plenty from this event about how the UK is our best buddy, the Brits are negotiating in Ireland’s best interests and Ireland is ungrateful in throwing out lot in with the EU. If they start in this vein I would suggest their meeting be terminated on the grounds of foreign agents provocateurs attempting to undermine public order.

gleeful

Im considering making a large banner:

Nigel lied about Brexit
Nigel lied to his wife
Nigel is lying now

Jim Car

More like down with political discourse that I don't agree with. Funny how when someone criticises the EU now or a group does that instead of actually engaging in a debate on the pros and cons some people simply say things like where is your funding coming from where do you come from ect. As if it is wrong or boarder line illegal to criticise or be against an incredibly dysfunctional organisation.

Jim Car

Sounds like a soft-power event designed at undermining public support for the government’s position, the better to split Ireland from the EU’s position in the Brexit negotiations. I expect to hear plenty from this event about how the UK is our best buddy, the Brits are negotiating in Ireland’s best interests and Ireland is ungrateful in throwing out lot in with the EU. If they start in this vein I would suggest their meeting be terminated on the grounds of foreign agents provocateurs attempting to undermine public order.
I have always trusted the brits more then the EU.

Sheeple_Waker

I have always trusted the brits more then the EU.
I take it history’s not your strongpoint? These people (the British establishment, not the ordinary British people) are not friends of Ireland. There is nothing beneficial to our country in their discourse here, they are stirring trouble and trying to divide us from our allies on the continent, allies who have been better friends to us through history than the British.

gleeful

More like down with political discourse that I don't agree with. Funny how when someone criticises the EU now or a group does that instead of actually engaging in a debate on the pros and cons some people simply say things like where is your funding coming from where do you come from ect. As if it is wrong or boarder line illegal to criticise or be against an incredibly dysfunctional organisation.
Nigel and his brexiteers do not have irelands best interests at heart, to put it mildly. They hope to damage Ireland and divide the EU to dig England out of a hole of their making.

Catalpast

there are now sponsored ads on facebook, with a swish video, promoting irexit. They are seemingly paid for by "europe of freedom and direct democracy" - which includes ukip, afd and other previously russian funded astroturf groups.

The ad says:

"#irexit – because ireland should be free to prosper.
Ireland is at risk of becoming a powerless eu province. We believe ireland should strike for its independence and leave the eu now. What do you think? Should ireland be free to prosper or shackled to the eu?

Watch this video to see why #irexit is of utmost political and economic importance to the future of ireland and please share it – we want everybody to know what is really going on. Want to know more? Join us at the free “irexit: Free to prosper” conference in dublin on saturday, the 3rd of february. Https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/irexit"

i wonder do these ads breach irish political funding laws.
bring it on>>>>:cool:

Catalpast

I take it history’s not your strongpoint? These people (the British establishment, not the ordinary British people) are not friends of Ireland. There is nothing beneficial to our country in their discourse here, they are stirring trouble and trying to divide us from our allies on the continent, allies who have been better friends to us through history than the British.
Our Gallant Allies in Europe? :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies