• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Painless new taxes on sugar,fat and salt in confectionery, processed foods and drinks

patslatt

In its desperation to raise taxes,the government could tax constructively by introducing a special VAT tax of,say 40%,on excessive sugar,salt and fat in confectionery, processed foods and drinks.That would help to discipline people's appetite for consuming junk and pay for the medical costs associated with that.

Once the levels of sugar,sugar substitutes, salt and added fats in confectionery,drink and food go above certain points considered unhealthy,the 40% tax should apply. These levels should be monitored easily by occasional lab spot checks for drinks and confectionary,though maybe less so for packaged meals.

The main disadvantage is that Irish producers of processed foods and drinks would lose business and jobs-a small price to pay for stopping the obesity epidemic and the explosion in medical costs for treating diabetes and heart disease.

adrem

taxes would only be painless if we didn't have to pay them which of course means they wouldn't generate much in terms of revenue

I agree with the concept of hitting really unhealthy stuff at the till but don't see it as a silver bullett !

'orebel

Generally the cheapest products on the supermarket shelves contain the highest amounts of sugar,salt etc. These items are usually purchased by people on a very tight budget thus increasing taxes on these products tends to hit the less well off hardest. I know that's a lot of generalising but you get my gist.

Éireann go Brách

Great Idea.

I don't know how practical your op is the real world,
but we as a Country need to change the way we eat and drink
We cannot afford it any more.

The way to save money in health in the medium to long run is to get people
to exercise, eat well, drink less and stop smoking. simples!

The obesity and drink culture in the country needs to tackled head on by
all means necessary.

Its a shame our Clowen and Harney are a drunk and obese respectively.
Is there any other country in world where the MOH is obese
I see Fine gael spokemans on health is also obese :rolleyes:

Baddaddy

Slightly off topic, but my "painless tax" would be a €150 tax on all renting bouncy castles, and trampoulines.

Less visits to the A&E, for children, and drunken mammies and daddies.

We may not generate much, but we'd clear unnecessary hospital visits.

dpbdpb

Generally the cheapest products on the supermarket shelves contain the highest amounts of sugar,salt etc. These items are usually purchased by people on a very tight budget thus increasing taxes on these products tends to hit the less well off hardest. I know that's a lot of generalising but you get my gist.
Not necessarily - i find that if you buy less processed foods (eggs, fruit, veg etc) that they work out cheaper. I think that convenience foods which are more processed cost more overall.

I think the biggest objection to an idea like this would be from farmers etc as items like cheese, meat etc would get hit with the higher tax too..

but i think it would be a great idea. Or even possibly use the money raised to offer a reduced VAT rate on healthy food. It wouldnt help out deficit but it would make us a healthier nation.

robut

Is there a prize in December or something for the person with the most austere measures to sort our deficits?

So why not just cap it all ... €5000 once off GREEN JERSEY payment ( for the moment anyway ) from EVER person living in Ireland. Come on its our patriotic duty :D

Cap that one :D

Robut

DeputyEdo

You already pay VAT on texts
Alright then, a 1cent Public Obligation Levy on texts...or a 1cent surcharge....they'll end up coming up with a few new names like the "levy" for whatever taxes they want to bring in.

patslatt

Added fats not same as natural fats

Not necessarily - i find that if you buy less processed foods (eggs, fruit, veg etc) that they work out cheaper. I think that convenience foods which are more processed cost more overall.

I think the biggest objection to an idea like this would be from farmers etc as items like cheese, meat etc would get hit with the higher tax too..

but i think it would be a great idea. Or even possibly use the money raised to offer a reduced VAT rate on healthy food. It wouldnt help out deficit but it would make us a healthier nation.
The tax would penalise unnecessary fats added in food processing such as hydrogenated oils and vegetable tropical oils,not fats natural to the product such as milk fat in cheese,beef fat in lasagna and pork fat in streaky rashers. Problems could arise with substitution of natural but unhealthy pork fat in processed chips or biscuits in place of hydrogenated fats,but in those cases maybe the pork fat could be classified as an unnecessary additive. Some arbitrary decisions would have to be made.

ne0ica

In its desperation to raise taxes,the government could tax constructively by introducing a special VAT tax of,say 40%,on excessive sugar,salt and fat in confectionery, processed foods and drinks.That would help to discipline people's appetite for consuming junk and pay for the medical costs associated with that.

Once the levels of sugar,sugar substitutes, salt and added fats in confectionery,drink and food go above certain points considered unhealthy,the 40% tax should apply. These levels should be monitored easily by occasional lab spot checks for drinks and confectionary,though maybe less so for packaged meals.

The main disadvantage is that Irish producers of processed foods and drinks would lose business and jobs-a small price to pay for stopping the obesity epidemic and the explosion in medical costs for treating diabetes and heart disease.
Unfortunately you would targeting alot of low income people.

kerdasi amaq

Aspartame(Slurm) should be taxed as well.

Duty on cigarettes should be reduced by 75%.

Last edited:

Nonsence & lies

A junk food tax is a fair and reasonable option, but you just know it'll infringe on someones civil rights which will kill it.
My favourites still hit the drunks turning up in casulty, whom i'm led to believe has a lot of repeat offenders.

Or the obvious one, which will cure all our problems. Legalise prostitution and canabis

bananarepublic.ie

A junk food tax is a fair and reasonable option, but you just know it'll infringe on someones civil rights which will kill it.
My favourites still hit the drunks turning up in casulty, whom i'm led to believe has a lot of repeat offenders.

Or the obvious one, which will cure all our problems. Legalise prostitution and canabis
Not sure about the rest of them i am favour to Drunk and disorderly A&E charge. VFI might say drink already taxed so on..

+Smartphone levy +text levy

wexfordman

A tax on packaging by weight and/or mass would be a good one IMHO !

Amazes me why the greens have not done ao already, simply an extension of the plastic bag levy idea but levied on the manufacturer not the purchaser!

Would have thought gormless would cream himself at the thought of another green tax.... And this one might even do something genuinely green for a change!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies