Panic in Moscow: CAATS

Clanrickard

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/28/us-sanctions-bill-timebomb-donald-trump-vladimir-putin

Deep inside it, section 241 is the closest thing to a bombshell for Putin’s pyramidal power structure. Indeed, it stipulates that by February 2018, the US administration must submit a detailed report to Congress containing “the identification of the most significant oligarchs” in Russia, their relationship to Putin, evidence of any corruption, estimated net worth and sources of income. Anyone fitting the criteria could be subjected to personal sanctions, such as asset freezes and travel bans.
The Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act has many people riles in the Russian capitol. It targets not the ordinary Russian but the Oligarchs especially those close to Putin. . Passed by 419-3 in the House and 98-2 in the Senate which meant Trump couldn't veto it. The sheer overwhelming partisanship in a fragmented Congress is proof positive of how united all are in bringing serious sanctions against Russia, but also NK and Iran. There is less panic in the latter two as their big wigs, unlike the Russian oligarchs, have not bought property, yachts and stashed millions in foreign jurisdictions.

https://www.economist.com/news/europe/21731662-personal-sanctions-against-regime-cronies-are-especially-tough-new-sanctions-are-about

It is the personal sanctions that worry the Russian elite most. CAATSA allows “secondary sanctions”, meaning that American officials can go after anyone, in any country, with significant business dealings with the so-called “specially designated nationals” (SDNs) who are already under sanctions—such as Igor Sechin, the head of Rosneft, the state oil firm, and Gennady Timchenko, an oligarch with interests in transport and energy. Depending on how CAATSA is implemented, this could make some of Mr Putin’s closest allies and cronies as toxic as other SDNs in Hizbullah, Iran or North Korea. A Chinese energy firm or a Western consultant dealing with any of the Russian SDNs could be affected. “This is absolutely nuclear,” says a Russian official. “It goes beyond anything we had during the cold war.”

Needless to say the Buffoon in the Oval Office has criticised the Act but it is clear few if any lawmakers trust him on Russia. https://ee.usembassy.gov/statement-president-donald-j-trump-signing-countering-americas-adversaries-sanctions-act/ With this in place he cannot lift the sanctions without Congressional approval and the Putin circle are rightly very very worried.

Deadlock

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/28/us-sanctions-bill-timebomb-donald-trump-vladimir-putin

The Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act has many people riles in the Russian capitol. It targets not the ordinary Russian but the Oligarchs especially those close to Putin. . Passed by 419-3 in the House and 98-2 in the Senate which meant Trump couldn't veto it. The sheer overwhelming partisanship in a fragmented Congress is proof positive of how united all are in bringing serious sanctions against Russia, but also NK and Iran. There is less panic in the latter two as their big wigs, unlike the Russian oligarchs, have not bought property, yachts and stashed millions in foreign jurisdictions.

https://www.economist.com/news/europe/21731662-personal-sanctions-against-regime-cronies-are-especially-tough-new-sanctions-are-about

Needless to say the Buffoon in the Oval Office has criticised the Act but it is clear few if any lawmakers trust him on Russia. https://ee.usembassy.gov/statement-president-donald-j-trump-signing-countering-americas-adversaries-sanctions-act/ With this in place he cannot lift the sanctions without Congressional approval and the Putin circle are rightly very very worried.

Clanrickard

Deadlock

Oh he'll be fine it is his friends and their extended circle he needs to worry about.
Oh I have zero doubt of that! A cat always lands on its feet. He won't mind losing a few chess pieces if it gains a strategic advantage. I'm just wondering if one of the very pieces he may be tempted to jettison may be Trump himself ...

Clanrickard

Oh I have zero doubt of that! A cat always lands on its feet. He won't mind losing a few chess pieces if it gains a strategic advantage. I'm just wondering if one of the very pieces he may be tempted to jettison may be Trump himself ...
I am afraid poor Vlad is running out of options. The economy is flatlining and the jingoistic tinge of annexing Crimea has worn off.

bormotello

LOL
Rothschild still believes that democracy is when oligarchs controls countries through paid media and brainwashed liberals
If West will seize oligarchs assets, which they stole during liberals rule, Putin’s support by Russian people will only increase
So much fun to see how libloons believe to their fakenews

GDPR

Sweet christ
The Rothschilds are one of the world's most powerful and wealthy families, and have been so for a very long time now, you don't maintain such a position by sitting on your hands. You really need to learn more about how the world works before you go commenting on things.

benroe

If the USA decided to put sanctions on my house tomorrow, I doubt I would notice, I don't buy anything american and I don't own anything manufactured in the states, why does anyone care if they are denied sub standard american goods?, what am I missing here?

Dame_Enda

Trump still isn't enforcing existing sanctions according to Sen Cardin. What chance he will enforce this?

parentheses

The Rothschilds are one of the world's most powerful and wealthy families, and have been so for a very long time now, you don't maintain such a position by sitting on your hands. You really need to learn more about how the world works before you go commenting on things.
Mikhail Khodorkovsky was the most powerful oligarch in Russia. At one point he controlled 50% of Russian oil production, which equates to 10% of world oil production.

After Putin jailed him, it was discovered he had transferred much of his assets to a company controlled by Lord Rothschild.

Clanrickard

LOL
Rothschild still believes that democracy is when oligarchs controls countries through paid media and brainwashed liberals
If West will seize oligarchs assets, which they stole during liberals rule, Putin’s support by Russian people will only increase
Good god!

rainmaker

Administrator
If the USA decided to put sanctions on my house tomorrow, I doubt I would notice, I don't buy anything american and I don't own anything manufactured in the states, why does anyone care if they are denied sub standard american goods?, what am I missing here?
It's to do with business.

In your analogy if you had lots of family members with their incomes dependent on buying from, selling to, or providing services to the US, then it would be a very different matter - America is still the most economically powerful nation in the world.

clusterbucked

Panic in Moscow :cool:

Since the demise of Yeltsin Russia has not been a client state, Satrap or economic dependent of America. For the neocons she really is the one that got away, the biggest energy provider in the word, they're still hurting dreaming of a day they get their noses back in the now nationalised Russian trough.

Buy American and you're a good guy like the Saudi's and free to starve the poorest country in the world from behind your glistening American military hardware.

Exercise sovereignty geopolitically and feel the full hypocrisy of the American legislatures. They must be sh*tting themselves in Moscow.

Karloff

Panic in Moscow :cool:

Since the demise of Yeltsin Russia has not been a client state, Satrap or economic dependent of America. For the neocons she really is the one that got away, the biggest energy provider in the word, they're still hurting dreaming of a day they get their noses back in the now nationalised Russian trough.

Buy American and you're a good guy like the Saudi's and free to starve the poorest country in the world from behind your glistening American military hardware.

Exercise sovereignty geopolitically and feel the full hypocrisy of the American legislatures. They must be sh*tting themselves in Moscow.
There is another angle, Russia is now serving America as an enemy, a justification to ramp up spending on defence, a justification to expand NATO expand US military operations in Asia. An excuse to even delegitimise their own democratic verdicts and promote censorship and mainlining of news into one category (not fake news), Google is playing along here as they are censoring their browser to shut out what they call fake news meaning Russian and alternative news channels. America's rulers need an enemy and Putin provides it but whenever America goes into 'it's us v them' mode the US people lose out. Many freedoms were lost after 9/11, questioning foreign policy in the US became forbidden - a disastrous move for Americans as they were then lied to again and again into a new packet of wars that cost trillions for them and destroyed their reputation and cost them lives and which ultimately led to jihadists running all over the Middle East (where as before those were confined to a few places like Afghanistan).

JimmyFoley

LOL
The international Jew.

You will know him by his claws.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies