Paper Thin Solar Panels-Good news

Magror14

This a Swiss company I have been keeping an eye on for the last three years. It is about to manufacture revolutionary ultra thin solar panels (the thickness of paper). These will be much cheaper than existing solar panels and can be integrated into building materials (e.g. roof tiles).

I have no connection with the company. This is just a very cool product.

Flisom: Products

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Sounds great to me. I like experimenting with solar ovens and suchlike.

Will keep my eye on the developements now.

If farmers can warm the soil with transparent plastic why not solar heated houses built incorporating these paper thin panels?

Ard Eoin

just recently had an appraisal for the installation of solar panels (x2) complete with corresponding boiler and flexible connecting hoses...apparently it would guarantee savings of 30% annually...these were raised in much the same way as a velux window..

final estimate....E9000...

anything that comes in cheaper and is flush with the tiles....will sell im sure!..

rubensni

Hardly good news for Irish people as solar photovoltaic power is completely uneconomical considering our standard of infrastructure and location. It's an appropriate technology in Africa, where most people are off-grid and there’s much more sunlight, but here it's a waste of cash.

Ard Eoin

Hardly good news for Irish people as solar photovoltaic power is completely uneconomical considering our standard of infrastructure and location. It's an appropriate technology in Africa, where most people are off-grid and there’s much more sunlight, but here it's a waste of cash.
these days you dont need sunlight for solar power...day light carries the necessary ray...although strong sunlight would be better...

rubensni

these days you dont need sunlight for solar power...day light carries the necessary ray...although strong sunlight would be better...
are you talking about heating or electricity generation?

Ard Eoin

are you talking about heating or electricity generation?
yeah...sorry...i would be referring to home heating installations...

but i think my point about sunlight applies to any solar facility?....no?

Magror14

From what I can gather this is revolutionary because it can be adhered to rooftiles and all exterior surfaces of buildings. Also in places like India the large part of the population cook on charcoal stoves which causes a lot of greenhouse gases to be released into the atmosphere not to mention depletion of wood sources. It is thought that this product would allow for replacement of charcoal burning.

rubensni

yeah...sorry...i would be referring to home heating installations...

but i think my point about sunlight applies to any solar facility?....no?
Not really, no. Solar for home heating is quite economical, but solar PV (electricity generation) is very inefficient for these high latitudes.

Solar PV is unlikely to ever become cheaper than conventional power in Ireland, or across northern Europe. And so far as the move towards renewables solar PV is one of the most expensive ways to save a tonne of carbon dioxide, so even with a more realistic carbon tax solar PV is unlikely to be much use here.

Ard Eoin

Not really, no. Solar for home heating is quite economical, but solar PV (electricity generation) is very inefficient for these high latitudes.

Solar PV is unlikely to ever become cheaper than conventional power in Ireland, or across northern Europe. And so far as the move towards renewables solar PV is one of the most expensive ways to save a tonne of carbon dioxide, so even with a more realistic carbon tax solar PV is unlikely to be much use here.
ok...good to know...

Baron von Biffo

just recently had an appraisal for the installation of solar panels (x2) complete with corresponding boiler and flexible connecting hoses...apparently it would guarantee savings of 30% annually...these were raised in much the same way as a velux window..

final estimate....E9000...

anything that comes in cheaper and is flush with the tiles....will sell im sure!..
Unless you can install it yourself there's no reason to believe that the lower cost will be passed on.

myksav

Ah, but Maurice, I nearly "froze to death" working in a greenhouse in winter. :D

Tis the electrical generation panels that the OP is on about and they aren't great value at our lattitude. (over the entire year)

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Ah, but Maurice, I nearly "froze to death" working in a greenhouse in winter. :D

Tis the electrical generation panels that the OP is on about and they aren't great value at our lattitude. (over the entire year)
Maybe so but my wife uses ours to dry the washing in inclement weather. :)

Technology moves on rapidly and improvements are likely when so many minds around the world are transmitting info by the second.

Insulated greenhouses are now possible by the way.

Oppenheimer

CIGs is indeed the up and comer from the range of technologies available in thin format because of its environmental stability. Though in the long-term the "I" in CIGS is Indium and it is one of those materials we are using at a rapid rate and becoming more and more expensive.

Contrary to what is thought, though we do not get a lot of real "sun hours" the amount of light we get is quite high because of the longer days in the summer. We don't get a lot of heat and people tend to equate that with the generation of electricity.

Other technologies if you are interested in thin films are Polymer based and will eventually work their way into the longer-term, perhaps when CIGS is in its twilight!

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Why must we concentrate on payback from Solar energy when we lose billions on other ventures?

Some years ago all the logs we bought packed in plastic bags retained a lot of moisture and were therefore never very good as fuel. Now we have kiln dried logs and compressed wood chip products! But why are they still packed in plastic bags?

For years I looked on the turf stacks on the bogs left to dry in the open when simple covers would have accelerated the drying by wind AND sun.

Japanese heat water for showers in the summer by just filling bin bags.:)

I cook eggs and even stew in a solar cooker.

Experimenting is fun. Why do I need to save a few cents on everything associated with the solar benifits like garden lights etc.

Caution can retard your growth. :)

Oppenheimer

Why must we concentrate on payback from Solar energy when we lose billions on other ventures?

Some years ago all the logs we bought packed in plastic bags retained a lot of moisture and were therefore never very good as fuel. Now we have kiln dried logs and compressed wood chip products! But why are they still packed in plastic bags?

For years I looked on the turf stacks on the bogs left to dry in the open when simple covers would have accelerated the drying by wind AND sun.

Japanese heat water for showers in the summer by just filling bin bags.:)

I cook eggs and even stew in a solar cooker.

Experimenting is fun. Why do I need to save a few cents on everything associated with the solar benifits like garden lights etc.

Caution can retard your growth. :)
Payback is the way that solar is marketed - by accountants no doubt! The real message should be "don't waste", at least at the individual level. I don't get a kick out of experimenting these days as I do from finding ways to reduce consumption of things I don't need, i.e., having a goal like that makes me innovative! I am surprised that many ideas I come up with are those that were used years ago when rationing was forced on people. Now though the objective is to consider what's "enough" and not go beyond that. I am turning into my Granddad!

Oppenheimer

lol!...stop complaining!....
I don't complain - in general I practice what I preach and just get on with it! Though I am starting to verbalise this philosophy to those within my group of friends that like to shop - "Why do you need that?" "That's a waste!"

"Use less or its useless!" I can see this evolve already to the point of being an incorrigible grumpy old man!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies