Paper Thin Solar Panels-Good news

reknaw

Except that it's incorrect. Solar is poised to knock most other renewables into a cocked hat.
There might be something to that!:)

There was a programme on one of the science channels on TV recently about a company in the USA that is also making paper-thin solar panels containing fullerene that are very efficient and will only get cheaper and cheaper with mass production.

Oil, gas and coal will never get cheaper again - apart from temporary dips - but solar panels will probably go the same way as computer and other electronic equipment.

My first computer - with 64 kb RAM - cost nearly €3,000 - a lot of money in those days. The latest one has over 1 gb and cost €340.:lol:

fiannafailure

Except that it's incorrect. Solar is poised to knock most other renewables into a cocked hat.
Civic_Critic

In another thread I explained that the real problem with PV cells is connecting them together to deliver significant currents. That and the fact that PV cells deliver DC and appliances have evolved to use DC.

Any updates on work in this area

MauriceColgan

Just for the hell of it and to see if it would work I made a solar furnace last year from an old satelite dish covered in self adhesive mylar reflective film.

It worked very well burning through an aluninium coke can placed at the focus in 30 secs.

I have now decommisioned my weopon of mass destruction

myksav

Payback is the way that solar is marketed - by accountants no doubt! The real message should be "don't waste", at least at the individual level. I don't get a kick out of experimenting these days as I do from finding ways to reduce consumption of things I don't need, i.e., having a goal like that makes me innovative! I am surprised that many ideas I come up with are those that were used years ago when rationing was forced on people. Now though the objective is to consider what's "enough" and not go beyond that. I am turning into my Granddad!
Not a bad thing really. Our grandfathers had to make do and learned to do well enough with that make-do thinking.
Like the idea of "leave as you found", "Don't fix what isn't broken" "If you see ragworth, pull it".
Basically, just sensible stuff.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Civic_Critic

MauriceColgan

Just for the hell of it and to see if it would work I made a solar furnace last year from an old satelite dish covered in self adhesive mylar reflective film.

It worked very well burning through an aluninium coke can placed at the focus in 30 secs.

I have now decommisioned my weopon of mass destruction
Well done.
I've been reading about self sufficientcy and solar heated houses for many decades now and know it's a pipe dream to think you will get it without paying the cost no matter how much you think you may save.
Nevertheless it is fun to save power and find ways of creating bio fuel etc. Like our dried grass fuel that burnt well but the gas from it blew open our solid fuel stove door one night. :)

By the way solid fuel stoves with water heating tanks are probably the best and most efficient way to go considering the growth of our forestry products. Our home is never cold in the winter. Solar heating in action.

Oppenheimer

Not a bad thing really. Our grandfathers had to make do and learned to do well enough with that make-do thinking.
Like the idea of "leave as you found", "Don't fix what isn't broken" "If you see ragworth, pull it".
Basically, just sensible stuff.
Yes, but talking sense to non-believers or rabid consumers is very trying!

jpc

Why must we concentrate on payback from Solar energy when we lose billions on other ventures?

Some years ago all the logs we bought packed in plastic bags retained a lot of moisture and were therefore never very good as fuel. Now we have kiln dried logs and compressed wood chip products! But why are they still packed in plastic bags?

For years I looked on the turf stacks on the bogs left to dry in the open when simple covers would have accelerated the drying by wind AND sun.

Japanese heat water for showers in the summer by just filling bin bags.:)

I cook eggs and even stew in a solar cooker.

Experimenting is fun. Why do I need to save a few cents on everything associated with the solar benifits like garden lights etc.

Caution can retard your growth. :)
a black tank on a flat roof for heating water is a common sight in the Med.
The black bin bags is a great idea.

fiannafailure

Civic_Critic might be interested in the following

Fiat collaborates with Irish company on solar cars - News | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service
Italian car manufacturing giant Fiat has entered a partnership with Irish energy technology company SolarPrint to develop solar panels that can be incorporated into the roof surface of vehicles as a means of generating alternative sources of energy by converting light to power.

The new ‘smart roof’ will incorporate low-cost photo voltaic (PV) – or solar – cells and lithium batteries that will in turn be used to power on-board devices in cars.

The Underdog

This a Swiss company I have been keeping an eye on for the last three years. It is about to manufacture revolutionary ultra thin solar panels (the thickness of paper). These will be much cheaper than existing solar panels and can be integrated into building materials (e.g. roof tiles).

I have no connection with the company. This is just a very cool product.

Flisom: Products
How many shares do you hold ?

Magror14

I sometimes think that our ideas of cost may be too restrictive. If you shell out on a renewable product today which you know will do the business for many years the knowledge that you will not have to worry about spending money on the energy in the future is a value (the reduction in anxiety if nothing else) over and above whatever you might have to pay for it in the future. Don't know if that makes sense.

Example. We built an extension in our house which left our kitchen really dark. The lights needed to be on any time we were in the kitchen and they used a certain amount of electricity. Anyway, my solution was a product called a Solatube, basically a device which captures sunlight on the roof and pipes it the 17 feet down to the kitchen below. I will not recover the cost of the product in the reduced electricity but I have peace of mind knowing that my kitchen is bright without it having to cost me money in the future.

Banshee

This a Swiss company I have been keeping an eye on for the last three years. It is about to manufacture revolutionary ultra thin solar panels (the thickness of paper). These will be much cheaper than existing solar panels and can be integrated into building materials (e.g. roof tiles).

I have no connection with the company. This is just a very cool product.

Flisom: Products
Could be great for condoms, natural Viagara, unless she only does it in the dark

Civic_critic2

New Breakthrough Increases Solar Cell Conversion Efficiency To 66 Percent

Breakthrough Multiband Solar Cell Technology Announced - great promise for high efficiency thin film solar efficiencies above 35%

At this stage these announcements of incredible breakthroughs are coming so thick and fast in the solar arena that one would be forgiven for cyncially concluding that the research groups are hyping up their own results to the max for funding purposes. Nevertheless the trend is clear and the breakthroughs are real, even if the roll out of these solutions is taking 5 - 10 years longer than we thought or hoped. But such delays are often the case with technology and often more for business reasons than for technology reasons.

In any case it is clear that solar is going to blow away almost all other forms of renewable energy in the coming years. The question then is energy storage and the related question of energy density.

We spoke about this before in another thread which those who are interested in solar and renewables can find here: Britain's future power shortage could spill over on Ireland

Supermanpolitician

Solar plane breaks record - Europe, World News - Independent.ie

This is worthy of mention for several reasons but mainly because it shows that with will and attitude, human endeavour always finds solutions.

One other very important thing. There is a company based out of TCD, run by Dr. Mazhar Bari who has invented something called dye sentistised solar cells. The company is called SolarPrint and it is developing high efficiency solar cells which can be integrated into other products.

Such applications could include integrating into your house paint, so your entire house become a solar panel.

This is the stuff of science fiction and should make us all a little more positive about the future.

Oppenheimer

This is worthy of mention for several reasons but mainly because it shows that with will and attitude, human endeavour always finds solutions.

One other very important thing. There is a company based out of TCD, run by Dr. Mazhar Bari who has invented something called dye sentistised solar cells. The company is called SolarPrint and it is developing high efficiency solar cells which can be integrated into other products.

Such applications could include integrating into your house paint, so your entire house become a solar panel.

This is the stuff of science fiction and should make us all a little more positive about the future.
Actually, not sure the Irish company invented that technology....back to the Swiss.....

Millennium Prize - PROFESSOR MICHAEL GRÄTZEL: DEVELOPER OF DYE-SENSITIZED SOLAR CELLS

fiannafailure

Everything about renewable energy should make us positive about the future, its a whole new frontier

cry freedom

Supermanpolitician;2822805 This is the stuff of science fiction [/QUOTE said:
You are dead right there

cry freedom

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies