Paper Thin Solar Panels-Good news

Feirsteach

I sometimes think that our ideas of cost may be too restrictive. If you shell out on a renewable product today which you know will do the business for many years the knowledge that you will not have to worry about spending money on the energy in the future is a value (the reduction in anxiety if nothing else) over and above whatever you might have to pay for it in the future. Don't know if that makes sense.

Example. We built an extension in our house which left our kitchen really dark. The lights needed to be on any time we were in the kitchen and they used a certain amount of electricity. Anyway, my solution was a product called a Solatube, basically a device which captures sunlight on the roof and pipes it the 17 feet down to the kitchen below. I will not recover the cost of the product in the reduced electricity but I have peace of mind knowing that my kitchen is bright without it having to cost me money in the future.
How much did the solartube cost (to buy and install) if you don't mind me asking?

cry freedom

I sometimes think that our ideas of cost may be too restrictive. If you shell out on a renewable product today which you know will do the business for many years the knowledge that you will not have to worry about spending money on the energy in the future is a value (the reduction in anxiety if nothing else) over and above whatever you might have to pay for it in the future. Don't know if that makes sense.

Example. We built an extension in our house which left our kitchen really dark. The lights needed to be on any time we were in the kitchen and they used a certain amount of electricity. Anyway, my solution was a product called a Solatube, basically a device which captures sunlight on the roof and pipes it the 17 feet down to the kitchen below. I will not recover the cost of the product in the reduced electricity but I have peace of mind knowing that my kitchen is bright without it having to cost me money in the future.
I can subscribe to that kind of logic believe it or not. We are all guilty of doing improvements to our home which accountants would balk at.
Solar panels even pv are fine on a domestic, individual basis. It certainly makes more sense than going down to the pub and pissing it up against the wall. Too many people in this country spend their time at that foolishness.
The problem becomes more acute when this type of technology is introduced on a national utility basis.It will leave us all on the road.

Oppenheimer

He was on with Richard Curran on "The Business". RC said "invent", though "develop" might be a better expression.
Yes, if you listen to the interview in the link and look at the timeline this was first demonstrated in the lab in 1988. It takes an awful long time for a really new technology like this to get going, perhaps not so much to do with the technology itself but the proving of it and the supply chain build-up etc. In searching that link I found these ones as well which point to companies making and selling this technology so not sure where the Irish company fits in

G24 Innovations, personalising solar power, solar energy, dye sensitized solar, renewable energy, panel, charger, cell, sensitised
Dyesol

Also, it seems there are other "organic" options too....

Konarka Power Plastic
Plastic Solar Panels by Solarmer:plastic Solar Panels

Magror14

How much did the solartube cost (to buy and install) if you don't mind me asking?
Its on the net but there is a company called Tradecraft in the Cookstown Industrial Estate that distributes the product which is English. I got multiple extension tubes so that made it a lot more expensive. Also I got the larger 14 inch tube Solatube. The product cost 1000 Euro, I did the internal installation and I got a builder to do the roof unit for 100 quid when he was doing some other work for us.

Magror14

Got it in one! The usual over hyped bollix about something that will only be of use or value for about a quarter of the time ,if that!
Dont be so negative. Look at all the pay parking units around the country. All powered by solar power. Before they would have cost much more to install because of the link up to the grid. This kind of solar power is going to be HUGE in the developed world. You will be able to lift serious power into remote areas which will save lives. My money is on these things making a serious difference.

cry freedom

Dont be so negative. Look at all the pay parking units around the country. All powered by solar power. Before they would have cost much more to install because of the link up to the grid. This kind of solar power is going to be HUGE in the developed world. You will be able to lift serious power into remote areas which will save lives. My money is on these things making a serious difference.
Of course solar power will have it's uses!
It would have to be a very poor technology indeed not to have some use.
But to do the "heavy lifting", forget about it.

Tell you what though!
I could be wrong, so lets agree to meet in 20 years time and review the situation.:)

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom