‘paradox of the tolerant racist’

McSlaggart

"Toleration and respect are often thought of as compatible, and indeed complementary, liberal democratic ideals. However, it has sometimes been said that toleration is disrespectful, because it necessarily involves a negative evaluation of the object of toleration. This article shows how toleration and respect are compatible as long as ‘respect’ is taken to mean (what some moral philosophers have called) recognition respect, as opposed to appraisal respect. But it also argues that recognition respect itself rules out certain kinds of evaluation of persons, and with these, certain bases for toleration: if recognition respect is really distinct from appraisal respect, and if the fundamental rights assigned to people on the basis of recognition respect are to be equal rights, then recognition respect must itself involve a refusal to evaluate certain basic agential capacities of persons when deliberating about how to treat them. Even where ‘respect’ means recognition respect, then, there is some truth both in the thesis that toleration and respect are compatible, and in the thesis that they are incompatible. The different truths in these two theses help to shed light on the nature of toleration considered specifically as a liberal democratic virtue. This point can be illustrated by showing how the foregoing analysis provides a plausible solution to the so‐called ‘paradox of the tolerant racist’."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/japp.12017

In Northern Ireland should we stop asking others for respect and simply require that we show each other toleration?

“If Sinn Fein are genuine about their desire to preserve and protect the Irish language then they should seek to win respect for the language. You cannot force people to respect something. You have to earn respect. That cannot be done by proscriptive measures."

SF must earn respect for Irish language - Orangeman

stopdoingstuff

Totally. Tolerance can be enforced i.e. requiring people not to interfere in each others stuff and not denying access to state services to others based on whether one is a Republican or Loyalist. This is the kind of thing that can be legislated for.

Respect on the other hand is not a right and when governments try to mandate said respect, it produces the polar opposite of the intended outcome. Insane things like forcing others to use specific forms of language when discussing each other or forcing people to violate their own beliefs simply to endorse someone else's private choices- these lead to neither respect nor tolerance.

Bureaucrats have a strange form of autism that prevents them from seeing the distinction.

Spirit Of Newgrange

one option seems to be Fukoyama's idea of the Nation State. All living in harmony, and with mutual respect for the other lot in the other State. Croatia & Serbia is a good example.

A different option is the multicultural approach of everybody living in the same State and getting along fine...such as The Spanish and The Catalans in Catalunya.

which is preferable ?

GDPR

Meh. In practical terms, it is a distinction without a difference for ordinary people.

"Respect" is a buzz word in NI, in fact incorporated in the GFA, because the then majority, and their state when they ran it themselves systematically denigrated and /or repressed all expressions of Irish culture. This is something different from having a private opinion that diddly-eye music isnt a patch on banging heavy metal, or Rihanna. It was an actual policy.

Of course that is not going to tend towards a positive outcome for anyone.

McSlaggart

Meh. In practical terms, it is a distinction without a difference for ordinary people.
I honestly disagree (could be that I am from Tyrone and your from a much more unionist area of Ireland). Their is frequently a call in northern Ireland to respect for "each other's" traditions. Which is normally met with ya go catch yourself on. Why the hell should anyone respect/toleration for "Bonfires on the main road in Derry" or "Bonfires in a park which most of the residents do not want".

Then their is other traditions which people do not respect but in order to make society work must show tolerance. I do not care how much anyone hates the GAA, Orange order, daniel o'donnell, we all need to show them toleration.

belfast1981

These days tolerance is only acceptance of someones views if they are 100% identical to yours.

If not, your views are racist, as well as homophobic, sexist & misogynist.

Of course that's probably not true... But it does feel like it some days, especially when it comes to political matters.

GDPR

I honestly disagree (could be that I am from Tyrone and your from a much more unionist area of Ireland). Their is frequently a call in northern Ireland to respect for "each other's" traditions. Which is normally met with ya go catch yourself on. Why the hell should anyone respect/toleration for "Bonfires on the main road in Derry" or "Bonfires in a park which most of the residents do not want".

Then their is other traditions which people do not respect but in order to make society work must show tolerance. I do not care how much anyone hates the GAA, Orange order, daniel o'donnell, we all need to show them toleration.
I approach that question rather differently. You could close down the vilest bonies overnight by simply applying the relevant health and safety and fire prevention legislation. For me "respect" does not mean respect for illegality.

vivabrigada

These days tolerance is only acceptance of someones views if they are 100% identical to yours.

If not, your views are racist, as well as homophobic, sexist & misogynist.

Of course that's probably not true... But it does feel like it some days, especially when it comes to political matters.
These views tend to come from dealing with actual racists, homophobes, sexists and misogynists some days, though.

belfast1981

These views tend to come from dealing with actual racists, homophobes, sexists and misogynists some days, though.
Oh yes, don't get me wrong. There are legit cases of serious racism, homophobia etc and those need tackled.

However this 'millennial' generation make so many claims of racism, sexism and so forth at anything that is a different opinion to theirs, it really diminishes cases of real racism and maybe allows people to get away with it more.

I guess what I mean is that It's claimed that much now a days, its hard to take seriously accusations of it and real cases that do need serious attention and legal intervention then get overlooked or not taken seriously.

New Threads

Most Replies