• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Paraguay’s New President Fernando Lugo

Sucker Punch

Paraguayan President Lugo is the latest addition to the 'forth wave' of democratization sweeping South America. Following in the footsteps social democrats such as Chavez and Morales, he was elected on a mandate of institution and constitutional reform, tackling corruption and land redistribution for indigenous landless peoples.

Fukuyama needs to revise his theory me thinks. Any opinions on what he might call his new thesis?

My two cents: History 's a b!tch.

Utopian Hermit Monk

Thanks for the link.

Fernando Lugo studied English here, in the 1980s. I met him about eight years ago, when he was still a Bishop. He is a tremendously intelligent and principled man, who resigned after ten years as a Bishop. He was convinced that the situation of the poor in Paraguay would never be improved by mere denunciation of injustice. His decision to run for President, without the backing of any political machine, seemed ridiculous, but he quickly picked up support from all kinds of popular movements. After some initial hesitation, the majority of Paraguayan Bishops have expressed support, and even The Vatican has eased his way by waiving the prohibition against priests or bishops standing for political election.

I wish him well. He has an extremely difficult task ahead. With the best will in the world, he may find that popular expectations cannot be satisfied, and his support may drain away. To the extent that he really begins to tackle corruption and threaten the interests of the old oligarchy, he risks provoking a violent reaction, and even assassination.

One thing is for sure: his identification with Hugo Chavez, Evo Morales and other left-leaning Latin American Heads of State will not please Washington.

Pauli

Utopian Hermit Monk said:
Thanks for the link.

Fernando Lugo studied English here, in the 1980s. I met him about eight years ago, when he was still a Bishop. He is a tremendously intelligent and principled man, who resigned after ten years as a Bishop. He was convinced that the situation of the poor in Paraguay would never be improved by mere denunciation of injustice. His decision to run for President, without the backing of any political machine, seemed ridiculous, but he quickly picked up support from all kinds of popular movements. After some initial hesitation, the majority of Paraguayan Bishops have expressed support, and even The Vatican has eased his way by waiving the prohibition against priests or bishops standing for political election.

I wish him well. He has an extremely difficult task ahead. With the best will in the world, he may find that popular expectations cannot be satisfied, and his support may drain away. To the extent that he really begins to tackle corruption and threaten the interests of the old oligarchy, he risks provoking a violent reaction, and even assassination.

One thing is for sure: his identification with Hugo Chavez, Evo Morales and other left-leaning Latin American Heads of State will not please Washington.
His brief is not to please Washington, or the soon to be departing wingnuts in the White House, but to please those people he serves as President. Good luck to him, particularly if he pisses off the lunatics in the Bush/Cheney criminal cabal.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Quite an achievement removing the encumbant party from the Presidental office. How is the pariliment stacked though? If it is opposition controlled, they could stimy Lugo's program of much needed reform.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
True, but has he identified himself with them or is that linkage coming from others?

Clanrickard

Thac0man said:
True, but has he identified himself with them or is that linkage coming from others?
He'll do himself no favours lining up with that lot. If he goes for sensible policies like Columbia, Brazil and Chile he'll do well but if he follows the dictator Chavez policy of nationalising all in site he'll be a disaster.

Bogwarrior

Clanrickard said:
Thac0man said:
He'll do himself no favours lining up with that lot. If he goes for sensible policies like Columbia, Brazil and Chile he'll do well but if he follows the dictator Chavez policy of nationalising all in site he'll be a disaster.
First of all, Chavez is not a dictator. Paraguay has been one of the poorest and most corrupt countries in the world.
I fail to see by them talking to their neighbours and stopping U.S and European leeching of their natural resources can make them any poorer or more corrupt.
Lugo got into politics as he saw first hand as a Bishop how the small elite benefitted from this corruption and shady dealing whilst the vast majority lived in squallor. I'm sure he knows, certainly more than you or I, what is the problems in his society and how to remedy it. The days of giving up your resources just to curry favour with Washington are closing to an end as these countries become more assertive and confident. Your advise to continue holding on to the aprons strings of the Great Satan is spoken like a true Uncle Tim.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Bogwarrior said:
Your advise to continue holding on to the aprons strings of the Great Satan is spoken like a true Uncle Tim.
Uncle Tim? :?

Bogwarrior

Thac0man said:
Bogwarrior said:
Your advise to continue holding on to the aprons strings of the Great Satan is spoken like a true Uncle Tim.
An Irish Uncle Tom!

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Bogwarrior said:
Thac0man said:
Bogwarrior said:
An Irish Uncle Tom!
Oh I see, you were being racist. Why not just say n*gger? :? Same thing.

Catalpa

Thanks for the link.

It's a start but the road ahead is long and hard - if he leaves office with at least a few tangible results that in itself will be a huge achievment.

Fair play to Pope Benedict for allowing Lugo to do this without reprimand.

Sucker Punch

Chavez presented him with a replica of Bolivar's sword, then the two of them hit the town singing karaoke to the Masses.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Catalpa said:
Fair play to Pope Benedict for allowing Lugo to do this without reprimand.
He did more than that, he left the door open for Lugo to return to his church role after he is done with politics.

Bogwarrior

Thac0man said:
Bogwarrior said:
Thac0man said:
Bogwarrior said:
An Irish Uncle Tom!
Oh I see, you were being racist. Why not just say n*gger? :? Same thing.
Talk to da hand, Nigga!

Van Damme

Clanrickard said:
Thac0man said:
Haha! Don't cry now ya red state trailor trash fascist.

twtone

Clanrickard said:
Thac0man said:

Which church is he a bishop in anyway? The Church of Rome or the church that Chavez founded a few months ago?

twtone

Switching countries for a moment, I see that Joe Higgins is curently in Bolivia. He wrote a very good piece for the IRISH (that's spelled without an O, for the idiots who post here to the contrary) Daily Mail today.

Joe apparently witnessed the voting and the count for the referendum in Bolivia last week. As someone who has witnessed voting and counts in Colombia, I was struck by the similarities between what I have seen and what Higgins reported.

The know-alls who post here and have never been nearer to Latin America than an Irish Bar in lanzarote should really either shut up or get up and go take a look at the reality of that great continent. One of the loudest mouths who posted here appears to have developed lockjaw, Gracias a Dios, since I urged him to go to Colombia for last month's massive peace demonstrations. He preferred to peer at his poisonous web sites rather than go and experience the reality of Latin America.

twtone

twtone said:
Switching countries for a moment, I see that Joe Higgins is currently in Bolivia. He wrote a very good piece for the IRISH (that's spelled without an O, for the idiots who post here to the contrary) Daily Mail today.

Joe apparently witnessed the voting and the count for the referendum in Bolivia last week. As someone who has witnessed voting and counts in Colombia, I was struck by the similarities between what I have seen and what Higgins reported.

The know-alls who post here and have never been nearer to Latin America than an Irish Bar in lanzarote should really either shut up or get up and go take a look at the reality of that great continent. One of the loudest mouths who posted here appears to have developed lockjaw, Gracias a Dios, since I urged him to go to Colombia for last month's massive peace demonstrations. He preferred to peer at his poisonous web sites rather than go and experience the reality of Latin America.

FamilyGuy

twtone said:
Switching countries for a moment, I see that Joe Higgins is curently in Bolivia. He wrote a very good piece for the IRISH (that's spelled without an O, for the idiots who post here to the contrary) Daily Mail today.

Still spouting your odious drivel I see armold/harvey/paypal/george :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What are these "poisonous websites" twotone?

twotone:
As someone who has witnessed voting and counts in Colombia, I was struck by the similarities between what I have seen and what Higgins reported.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Priceless arnold, priceless

Popular Threads

Most Replies