Parents announce death of brain damaged baby

Cruimh

Well, it is over now - a heart breaking story that was fought through the courts

Isaiah Haastrup parents announce death of 'brave baby boy' - BBC News

Isaiah Haastrup, a baby at the centre of a legal row over his treatment, has died, his parents have confirmed.

An appeal by the parents of the 12-month-old to continue his life-support treatment was dismissed by European judges on Tuesday.

Isaiah suffered "catastrophic" brain damage due to being deprived of oxygen at birth.

His parents fought a lengthy legal battle with King's College Hospital to allow further care for their son.

Isaiah's father said he was "so proud" of his "brave" son as his life-support was withdrawn on Wednesday.
What a dreadful position for everybody involved

Isaiah Haastrup: 'God should decide' when baby dies - BBC News

Isaiah Haastrup's father banned from hospital again - BBC News

Isaiah Haastrup's parents lose life-support appeal bid - BBC News

This doesn't seem to have received any attention on the site, which surprises me, and I have put it in the health forum rather than the UK forum.

I hope his parents find some kind of peace.

statsman

Very sad, and you have to feel for them, but in all honesty, if it were a child of mine, I don't think I'd want their short life to be lived out in a blaze of publicity like they had.

'orebel

Well, it is over now - a heart breaking story that was fought through the courts

Isaiah Haastrup parents announce death of 'brave baby boy' - BBC News

What a dreadful position for everybody involved

Isaiah Haastrup: 'God should decide' when baby dies - BBC News

This doesn't seem to have received any attention on the site, which surprises me, and I have put it in the health forum rather than the UK forum.

I hope his parents find some kind of peace.
It seems to me that 'god' did decide. It was science that was keeping him alive- probably unwisely. A terrible decision to have to make but one that needs to be made.

The_SR

Harrowing case. The family were manipulated by the Taliban-Smiths into the position they ended up in.

'orebel

Harrowing case. The family were manipulated by the Taliban-Smiths into the position they ended up in.
The who now?

'orebel

The_SR

Can you flesh that out a bit? I'm a bit slow this morning.
There were all sorts of extremists around the family, offering 'advice' and funding the challenges

'orebel

I don't really care what brand they prefer. They became puppets.
Cheers. I hadn't heard of the case until this thread.

The_SR

Cheers. I hadn't heard of the case until this thread.
At one level it was nothing unique. Hospital wanted to turn off life support, family didn't. Then it got all religious right to life versus evil doctors with them being banned from the hospital. Various courts got involved. A big mess.

Emily Davison

There were all sorts of extremists around the family, offering 'advice' and funding the challenges
That's what I read into the case when first I heard of it.

Still and all no matter what I'm with poster Statsman on this.

The Field Marshal

At one level it was nothing unique. Hospital wanted to turn off life support, family didn't.
Nothing wrong with that only you seem to be suggesting the hospital has the unilateral right to decide when life support is ended irrespective of the relatives concerns.

Then it got all religious right to life versus evil doctors with them being banned from the hospital. Various courts got involved. A big mess.
Of course the courts were going to get involved.
But you think the hospital has the ultimate say in such matters.

Your view is clearly that doctors can play god and terminate at will.

:roll:

The Field Marshal

I can imagine.
You seem to another one of those who think doctors can determine unilaterally when to withdraw life support irrespective of relatives concerns.

Both you and the SR are doctor ridden.

The_SR

Nothing wrong with that only you seem to be suggesting the hospital has the unilateral right to decide when life support is ended irrespective of the relatives concerns.

Of course the courts were going to get involved.
But you think the hospital has the ultimate say in such matters.

Your view is clearly that doctors can play god and terminate at will.

:roll:
I'm not suggesting that.

However in this case medical reality met with religious extremism. If they wanted gods will they should have followed all the medical advice and let him die with dignity.

blokesbloke

You seem to another one of those who think doctors can determine unilaterally when to withdraw life support irrespective of relatives concerns.

Both you and the SR are doctor ridden.
That’s a new one on me!

I suppose “priest ridden” was used enough about Ireland so fair dos!

New Threads

Most Replies