Parents sentenced for assaulting daughter over nude social media posts

Scitlipo

RTE reporting on a story where parents assaulted a 15 yo daughter over her nude posts online. one account says she had a footprint in her face. The parent got 5 month suspended sentences, but there were other issues going on like substabce abuse by the daughter, and self harm.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0717/890989-social-media-parents-assault-daughter/

Having a disruptive teen who exhibits sociopathic traits, and deciding how to deal with such an individual I think needs to be left to the parents, particularly when there are no meaningful social services to help the person, and when said services seem to serve first as a gravy train for a large number of social workers who have been brainwashed into believing that addiction is acceptable.
This teen seems to be feral and perhaps a hiding was badly needed.

eoghanacht

RTE reporting on a story where parents assaulted a 15 yo daughter over her nude posts online. one account says she had a footprint in her face. The parent got 5 month suspended sentences, but there were other issues going on like substabce abuse by the daughter, and self harm.

Having a disruptive teen who exhibits sociopathic traits, and deciding how to deal with such an individual I think needs to be left to the parents, particularly when there are no meaningful social services to help the person, and when said services seem to serve first as a gravy train for a large number of social workers who have been brainwashed into believing that addiction is acceptable.
I'd agree except for the stamping on her face.

Might it be the case that her substance abuse and "disruptive sociopathic tendencies" stem from the fact that her parents use excessive violence as a parental tool?

venusian

Violence is the worst thing her family can do in such a situation, it resolves nothing and as in this case ends up in court. Obviously they do have their hands full but violence has only made a bad relationship with the daughter worse.

Sync

There's nothing in the article that indicates sociopathy. Perhaps it's best not to describe a child who's been a proven victim of two violent assaults as having deserved it.

niall78

........................ and when said services seem to serve first as a gravy train for a large number of social workers .....................
From the reports on the radio every week about the Irish social services the last thing I'd call it is a gravy train. I think I'd rather be in prison than work there to be honest.

As for leaving a boot print in somebodies face? Isn't that attempted murder? The parents got off lightly. They could have been done for a much bigger crime, they might have got jail time, they might have killed or handicapped their daughter with such a vicious assault. In the end the assault achieved nothing except more bad feeling.

niall78

There's nothing in the article that indicates sociopathy. Perhaps it's best not to describe a child who's been a proven victim of two violent assaults as having deserved it.
The assaults occurred when the girl's father found her using her phone when she had been told not to use it.
She alleged that he pulled her hair and kicked her on the ground when he tried to get the phone from her.

The child could be completely innocent of anything and it's the parents are demented. They certainly seem a bit mental if this report is anything to go by. Who the fúck in their right mind would kick their daughter in the face after pulling her to the ground?

talkingshop

No,not sociopathy, but a 15 year old girl putting nude photos of herself on social media is a difficult one to deal with from the parents' point of view. Obviously they shouldn't have hit her, but I could understand them trying to wrest the 'phone from her, if she had been doing it before, promised not to do it again, etc.

talkingshop

The assaults occurred when the girl's father found her using her phone when she had been told not to use it.
She alleged that he pulled her hair and kicked her on the ground when he tried to get the phone from her.

The child could be completely innocent of anything and it's the parents are demented. They certainly seem a bit mental if this report is anything to go by. Who the fúck in their right mind would kick their daughter in the face after pulling her to the ground?
The RTE report says she had posted nude photos of herself on social media. If you were her parent, wouldn't you want to stop that?

niall78

No,not sociopathy, but a 15 year old girl putting nude photos of herself on social media is a difficult one to deal with from the parents' point of view. Obviously they shouldn't have hit her, but I could understand then trying to wrest the 'phone from her, if she had been doing it before, promised not to do it again, etc.
I can think of a dozen different approaches and none of them involve leaving boot prints on a persons face.

niall78

The RTE report says she had posted nude photos of herself on social media. If you were her parent, wouldn't you want to stop that?
Of course I would.

Would I want to leave a boot mark on her face after kicking her on the ground? No.

This isn't an either or choice. Keep posting nude pictures (if there ever even were any) or get a kick in the head. There are hundreds of options in between those two extremes.

raetsel

Wow! Violent thuggery your only solution for this? FFS.................................that is monumentally thick.

razorblade

Nothing is clear in this story, either of them could be to blame, yes their daughter is still legally a minor and hence their responsibility, perhaps they were simply concerned about her and maybe just have been a bit overprotective,putting nude photos of yourself online at that age, is extremely serious, and dangerous, when you have predators lurking, you're exposing yourself to all kinds, of mentally disturbed people, maybe the parents firm reaction was in reflection of this, any decent parents would surely react the same way, on the other hand they could just have been violent sociopaths that abused their daughter on a regular basis, and her behaviour reflected this, its not a clear cut case, until we hear the full story, it's only mere speculation.

niall78

Nothing is clear in this story, either of them could be to blame, yes their daughter is still legally a minor and hence their responsibility, perhaps they were simply concerned about her and maybe just have been a bit overprotective,putting nude photos of yourself online at that age, is extremely serious, and dangerous, when you have predators lurking, you're exposing yourself to all kinds, of mentally disturbed people, maybe the parents firm reaction was in reflection of this, any decent parents would surely react the same way, on the other hand they could just have been violent sociopaths that abused their daughter on a regular basis, and her behaviour reflected this, its not a clear cut case, until we hear the full story, it's only mere speculation.
There are a lot of messed up kids out there. There are also a lot of messed up parents.

I once knew a girl whose overbearing mother threw a scalding pot of tea over her as she claimed she was a prostitute after coming home from the local disco dressed like a 'whore'. She looked no different from everyone else that night. She needed a trip to hospital over the mothers intervention. This was the early Nineties by the way - not the Fifties.

raetsel

It is very unlikely that you'll ever hear the full story. The law is the law though and there are perfectly understandable common sense reasons why it is a crime to assault any adolescent, even your own flesh and blood, in any circumstances.
Should it really have to be asked why launching a violent physical assault on your 15 year old is still a crime, even if she put herself in harm's way? What sort of neanderthal fool would think that it could possibly be justified in any circumstance. Really, it is not that hard to figure it out.

eoghanacht

Footprint on her face.

They were just being overprotective...

WTF, like.

Mickeymac

Footprint on her face.

They were just being overprotective...

WTF, like.

I am guilty of using violence in self defense on others who attempted to harm me and my family, I make no apology for that, though regret it very much, but, anyone, and I don't care whatever age, launches vicious attacks on women and children, deserve a very long spell in some lousey prison.

Mickeymac

I don't appreciate that like sir, I bitterly regret the outcome in the defense of my wife and kids, shortly afterwards I went back to my religion and faith and have been there ever since.

Mitsui2

... and maybe just have been a bit overprotective...
Putting the boot into a 15 year old girl isn't "being overprotective"; it's just staking your own claim to ownership of the right to abuse the kid in question.

If that kid has skewed values, she obviously didn't lick them off the stones.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies