Parents sentenced for assaulting daughter over nude social media posts

Mickeymac

One has to ask, which came first? the chicken or the egg.

The bad parental behaviour or the flaky behaviour of the teen?

It seems pretty obvious here that the parents have violent tendencies.

Flaky inappropriate "look at me" behaviour is often a cry for help,

violence and/or abuse is often a factor in troubled children.

Bring on the legislation for a vetted "parenting license" I say!
Too many abusive rotten parents in this world.

Would you be a troubled child sir seeking help from some public message forum?

Ardillaun

This isn't an either or choice. Keep posting nude pictures (if there ever even were any) or get a kick in the head. There are hundreds of options in between those two extremes.
The options one might take in the moment might not be those would advise others to take when reflecting on it as a bit of news. Obviously, the violence was ridiculous but parents of varied competence will be facing this distressing scenario with ever younger daughters.

niall78

The options one might take in the moment might not be those would advise others to take when reflecting on it as a bit of news. Obviously, the violence was ridiculous but parents of varied competence will be facing this distressing scenario with ever younger daughters.
This wasn't in the moment. This was a disagreement about access to a phone after the nude pictures incident.

Any parent that kicks their son or daughter in the face while they are no the ground leaving a boot mark has serious issues in their own right.

I wonder is there a history of serious violence in the home and the nude pictures and substance abuse are just a smokescreen by the parents to avoid jail time? I'd be interested to know if the court viewed the pictures and conducted drug screenings or just took the violent parents at their word.

Prester Jim

RTE reporting on a story where parents assaulted a 15 yo daughter over her nude posts online. one account says she had a footprint in her face. The parent got 5 month suspended sentences, but there were other issues going on like substabce abuse by the daughter, and self harm.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0717/890989-social-media-parents-assault-daughter/

Having a disruptive teen who exhibits sociopathic traits, and deciding how to deal with such an individual I think needs to be left to the parents, particularly when there are no meaningful social services to help the person, and when said services seem to serve first as a gravy train for a large number of social workers who have been brainwashed into believing that addiction is acceptable.
This teen seems to be feral and perhaps a hiding was badly needed.
Sociopathic child usually means abusive parent, no useful punishment leaves a footprint.

Prester Jim

The RTE report says she had posted nude photos of herself on social media. If you were her parent, wouldn't you want to stop that?
By beating the sh1t out of her? That will only have positive effects...

HereWeGoAgain

RTE reporting on a story where parents assaulted a 15 yo daughter over her nude posts online. one account says she had a footprint in her face. The parent got 5 month suspended sentences, but there were other issues going on like substabce abuse by the daughter, and self harm.

Having a disruptive teen who exhibits sociopathic traits, and deciding how to deal with such an individual I think needs to be left to the parents, particularly when there are no meaningful social services to help the person, and when said services seem to serve first as a gravy train for a large number of social workers who have been brainwashed into believing that addiction is acceptable.
Scitlipo - are you a parent - do you have a child of similar age?

Last edited:

paddycomeback

What's worse is parents who don't give a toss letting 10 year olds have social media accounts. I saw a famous person's daughter, reported it to the company, after an age it was taken down, only for her to reappear with two accounts. The parent has a blue tick next to their account so the company know exactly who they are, but do nothing to enforce their already feeble 13 age limit.

HereWeGoAgain

What's worse is parents who don't give a toss letting 10 year olds have social media accounts. I saw a famous person's daughter, reported it to the company, after an age it was taken down, only for her to reappear with two accounts. The parent has a blue tick next to their account so the company know exactly who they are, but do nothing to enforce their already feeble 13 age limit.
Nothing is worse than pushing your child onto the floor and kicking her in the face.
No one, particularly a child, deserves such a beating.
I'd hazard a guess it's not the first time she has experienced violence in the home.
She should be removed from the parental home and all other children removed too.

And the parents should receive services they require during their time behind bars.

That's a pretty disgusting OP. To justify violence on a child in the absence of any meaningful facts is not OK. Add to that that you appear to be using the child's ordeal to mount a cheap attack on social workers.

It feels that in this case there might have been a feedback loop of violence on the child.

It's a constant battle. My two kids have tablets and we have implemented every parental control available. It still remains a concern. They don't have social media accounts other than hidden place-holders I created. The peer pressure for them to have a presence is considerable. I am not prepared to let them use those accounts until they are ready.

I don't have any active social media accounts myself. My wife does, but that is sort of required for her company.

Cruimh

Or possibly the state should send problem girls to work in laundries?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Oh dear. I guess you are not to blame though, the above indicates that you were most likely a victim of violence yourself and while the tired old mantra ''never did me any harm'' springs to mind, the fact you think stomping on someones head/face is acceptable discipline for a child, I guess you were harmed much more than you are capable of understanding?

You have my sympathy in some respects but you must also understand that there is never any reason to engage in potentially fatal violence.

Volatire

Sociopathic child usually means abusive parent
Many good families are blighted by mental illness through no fault of their own. They don't need slurs from scumbags such as yourself.

I have huge respect for parents who struggle to deal with personality disorders, substance abuse, eating disorders etc that often arise during adolescence.

The societal (and economic) impact of this stuff is huge. Care for troubled teens is a terrible burden on families.

Families are the key support mechanism for these kids. The state needs to learn how to support struggling parents, not undermine them.

GDPR

That is never going to be an answer to anything.
Extremely damaging to the individual concerned, way beyond whatever "good" you might think you're doing.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Many good families are blighted by mental illness through no fault of their own. They don't need slurs from scumbags such as yourself.

I have huge respect for parents who struggle to deal with personality disorders, substance abuse, eating disorders etc that often arise during adolescence.

The societal (and economic) impact of this stuff is huge. Care for troubled teens is a terrible burden on families.

Families are the key support mechanism for these kids. The state needs to learn how to support struggling parents, not undermine them.
Do you have 'huge respect' for parents who stomp on their kids heads as well?

The poster, Prester Jim is on the right track. Much of what is diagnosed as sociopathy is more likely to be personality disorders caused by abusive parents, not always, but your parents are the strongest influence on anyone and if they stomp on your head, chances are, that will be normalised and repeated. This is hardly news.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies