• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Party Time for the Dept of Social Welfare Retirees

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Joan Burton's Department of Social Protection spent more than €5,000 on a lavish retired-staff party just weeks before she introduced swingeing welfare cuts, the Irish Mail on Sunday can reveal

Public money was even used to fund €1,000 worth of spot prizes for guests at the ‘retirement get-together’, which was hosted by department secretary general Niamh O’Donoghue

Joan Burton's team blew ¿5K on staff party: Social Protection used taxpayers¿ money to fund ¿get-together¿ for ex-colleagues | Mail Online

considering the generous retirement payments alot of these people are getting i wonder why they couldn't afford to pay for themselves rather then the tax payer?

ger12

This was touched on in a couple of threads yesterday.

I think it only fair and proper that the same "respect" be shown to all PS workers, don't you? In the large teaching hospital where I work, we "whip" round for those retiring and we've always paid for Christmas nights out etc. Funny though, I'm not sure James would be too keen to cough up for my "modest" event.

Spot prizes and wine and whiskey? €699.30 on posting invitations? Ever heard of de internet and e-mail?

APettigrew92

Some Cancer patients now have to pay €75 for each Chemo session.

Welcome to the Welfare State, where only a percentage fare well and it's not exactly well fair for others.

B

birthday

Joan Burton's team blew ¿5K on staff party: Social Protection used taxpayers¿ money to fund ¿get-together¿ for ex-colleagues | Mail Online

considering the generous retirement payments alot of these people are getting i wonder why they couldn't afford to pay for themselves rather then the tax payer?
But but but do you not realise that this money was spent in the local economy.

Keep focussing on items like this and miss the big ticket items like the €1200 million of taxpayers money used by AIB to bail out their
DB pension fund!

Spanner Island

Jaysus... it's all a bit pathetic and tawdry this innit? going through the list of expenses with a fine tooth comb...

Then again, it is public money and it is symptomatic of how public money continues to be treated with contempt by the 'state' as we continue to borrow billions each year just to keep this kip going...

All public funding for these kinds of events/parties should have been abolished years ago... and should never be re-introduced...

If people want to wish their colleagues well then they should do it with their own money and not with OURS...

Howya

It was a transfer of wealth from public sector to private sector.
€700 was spent on postage - that's a transfer from public sector to public sector (unless they used a private courier company) :)

happytuesdays

Starter: Barbecue-glazed cocktail sausages and a selection of sandwiches (some gluten-free) were served

From Daily Mail

elliebee

Regardless of the current economic position in our country I consider any department spending ANY taxpayers on entertainment is misappropriation of funds and insulting to taxpayers.

BrightDay

Regardless of the current economic position in our country I consider any department spending ANY taxpayers on entertainment is misappropriation of funds and insulting to taxpayers.
If you are a taxpayer be ready to be well insulted during the EU Presidency. Watch Kenny and Gilmore's waistlines expand as they gorge themselves with the great and the good of Europe.

laidback

When i was a public sector worker we were told that the rules did not permit anything personal being paid for and a deduction was made from our pay (not very much but a deduction) for the tea and coffee provided. We also had to pay a contribution towards the office Xmas party and the summer event that was held. i remember being told that the Local Govt Auditor would cause trouble if he found money being spent on refreshments for staff.

Mrs Laidback tells me in the third level institution in which she works, she has to pay for the staff xmas party, but she believes those at the top get free drinks.

Can the actual rules for state employees and functions be clarified. It seems from our experience that the rules are flexible for those at the top; the ones who could most afford to pay for the fine wines and canapes.

hammer

If you are a taxpayer be ready to be well insulted during the EU Presidency. Watch Kenny and Gilmore's waistlines expand as they gorge themselves with the great and the good of Europe.
Not many TDs without a big fat arse presently or in the past :)