Paschal Donohoe Says If The Government Doesn't Get Their Pay Rises They Will Take Bribes

CptSternn

Not paying politicians enough means they can be compromised: Paschal Donohoe | Irish Examiner

A member of the Cabinet has warned that politicians need to be paid enough or people will be elected who are "beholden to others".
Paschal Donohoe seems to threaten the electorate here by saying if the Dail does not get the massive pay rises they gave themselves that they will start taking bribes. Or some of them will. Or maybe all of them. He isn't particularly clear but seems to think at least some of the members of this government are openly considering taking bribes.

The part I find most amusing is the way he is pretending that it's not like that already.

Mad as Fish

Not paying politicians enough means they can be compromised: Paschal Donohoe | Irish Examiner

Paschal Donohoe seems to threaten the electorate here by saying if the Dail does not get the massive pay rises they gave themselves that they will start taking bribes. Or some of them will. Or maybe all of them. He isn't particularly clear but seems to think at least some of the members of this government are openly considering taking bribes.

The part I find most amusing is the way he is pretending that it's not like that already.
In that case we should cut the wages by half and so not attract the greedy to the job.

farnaby

As if that would make it ok.

I suppose the other argument - that high salaries are necessary to attract the right calibre of people to politics - would have been attracted even more ridicule than what he said.

That said, I've no sympathy for those who expect politicians to live on the AIW as well as work 24/7 running and representing the state.

Northsideman

Irish Politicians need to be benched marked against the European average, but that might not suit them.

Fractional Reserve

It doesn't matter what you pay career politicians they will find away to either bribe the voter , or turn tricks for their corporatist buddies by bending the rules when it suits .Then when they leave the political circle not arena they get the old cushy number on some corporations board .
Term Limits needed badly and stop governments borrowing money

CptSternn

As if that would make it ok.

I suppose the other argument - that high salaries are necessary to attract the right calibre of people to politics - would have been attracted even more ridicule than what he said.

That said, I've no sympathy for those who expect politicians to live on the AIW as well as work 24/7 running and representing the state.
Ministers get almost five times the AIW. Politicians should not get rich from being in office. They are there because they are supposed to be looking after the needs of the people, they didn't win the lotto.

tigerben

Well at least he didn't use "you pay peanuts ,you get monkeys". They're a lot better paid than many of their counterparts in other EU countries , a lot better pension wise , expense wise and throw in turning up money , overnight allowances and free parking ect . Anyway this excuse could be used for Gardaí, teachers , NCT testers ect ect ect.

flavirostris

Being paid obscenely well never stopped FF from taking bribes.

Orbit v2

"If we do not pay our parliamentarians a wage to reflect the responsibilities they have, we confine our pool of potential politicians to those either of independent means or, in a worse-case scenario, to those who may be beholden to others.
.. or to people who are happy to live on 85k plus expenses. Maybe, we'd be better off with TDs with that mentality. They might actually be comparing themselves less with others who earn more than than, and consequently in the "worse-case scenario" be beholden to others.

wexfordman

bribery and corruption ? Surely not minister, much easier to be legally correct and morrally corrupt via unvouched expenses, mileage allowances for commuting/cycling in to work etc.

ger12

And he was doing so well. Aye, I saw this earlier, can't say I agree with Pascal, big boo boo.

artfoley56

Would it not be easier, just for starters, to stop handing government contracts etc to people who have been found to have made corrupt payments to politicians.

New Threads

Most Replies