• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Passenger numbers at Dublin airport are up

Roll_On

passenger numbers at Dublin airport are now higher than 2005 levels (i.e. when Terminal 2 was under construction). Yet on this site we had the likes of Keith M screaming for it to be tore down the second the recession it. Now there is stable growth in passenger numbers.

Dublin Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

with passenger numbers on the rise should the DAA and department of Transport be looking at building the previously proposed new runway.

The new longer runway could accommodate larger aircraft and open up more routes to the west of North America, The far East and Latin America. With our existing US preclearance facilities the government could persuade Turkish, Etihad, Emerites, Air India etc. to use Dublin as a stop over for their US bound routes. Even some Eastern European airlines could be persuaded to land there. The extra business at Dublin airport would relieve some of the DAAs debt burden and help pay off Terminal 2 and the new Cork terminal.

It'd be a comparatively cheap infrastructure project to invest in with potentially massive returns. The only thing is there is a sort of parish pump mentality about expansion at the airport, the current 10/28 runway was underdesigned so as to protect Shannon from competition. I suspect that is why a new runway was not included in the capital expenditure plan.

D

Dylan2010

so another example of why state owned monopolies are a joke , its a pity I cant be charged 1000 euros to fly to London like the good old days <sigh>

Astral Peaks

so another example of why state owned monopolies are a joke , its a pity I cant be charged 1000 euros to fly to London like the good old days <sigh>
If you allow me to book your flights going forward, I'm sure something can be arranged?

:D

Astral Peaks

With 100,000 per year been forced out of the country how could they not be /.
So since say, 2008, 400,000 have emigrated?

You can prove this, I trust?

Link? Figures?

Levellers

I came back through the airport on Sunday and the passport Guards were on a go-slow. The queues were back to the escalators in the new terminal.

wombat

T2 is a pleasure to use mainly because its half empty

wombat

I came back through the airport on Sunday and the passport Guards were on a go-slow. The queues were back to the escalators in the new terminal.
That's their normal speed

Papillon

How much is the new runway supposed to cost?
Maybe they can also get cracking on the new air traffic control tower as well

seabhcan

passenger numbers at Dublin airport are now higher than 2005 levels (i.e. when Terminal 2 was under construction). Yet on this site we had the likes of Keith M screaming for it to be tore down the second the recession it. Now there is stable growth in passenger numbers.
It feels a lot emptier.

I had a taxi drive complain to me (seriously) that there were no longer traffic jams at the airport at 4am - like the good old days. I pointed out that they have improved traffic management at the airport. He didn't like that.

Some people are never happy.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie

Dublin Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

with passenger numbers on the rise should the DAA and department of Transport be looking at building the previously proposed new runway.

The new longer runway could accommodate larger aircraft and open up more routes to the west of North America, The far East and Latin America. With our existing US preclearance facilities the government could persuade Turkish, Etihad, Emerites, Air India etc. to use Dublin as a stop over for their US bound routes. Even some Eastern European airlines could be persuaded to land there. The extra business at Dublin airport would relieve some of the DAAs debt burden and help pay off Terminal 2 and the new Cork terminal.

It'd be a comparatively cheap infrastructure project to invest in with potentially massive returns. The only thing is there is a sort of parish pump mentality about expansion at the airport, the current 10/28 runway was underdesigned so as to protect Shannon from competition. I suspect that is why a new runway was not included in the capital expenditure plan.
You really should think about posts before you call out people on them. Have you actually thought about why numbers are up? There are two main reasons.

Firstly the flood of people leaving this country as the can't find work or opportunities. If they are Irish, these people come back for holidays etc. and their relatives go out to check how they are doing.

Secondly, we have seen the effective shutdown of Galway and Waterford airports and decimation of the numbers going through Shannon, so people have to use Dublin to escape.

gerhard dengler

It feels a lot emptier.

I had a taxi drive complain to me (seriously) that there were no longer traffic jams at the airport at 4am - like the good old days. I pointed out that they have improved traffic management at the airport. He didn't like that.

I agree with your taxi driver that Dublin Airport does seem to be a hell of a lot quieter these days.

It is encouraging that passenger numbers have started to increase though.

cricket

I'd nearly be tempted to buy that ticket for you, along as it's one way.

Paddyc

It feels a lot emptier.

You had a taxi driver complain to you!

I'm shocked!

Did you not tell the media of this unprecedented event?

You really should think about posts before you call out people on them. Have you actually thought about why numbers are up? There are two main reasons.

Firstly the flood of people leaving this country as the can't find work or opportunities. If they are Irish, these people come back for holidays etc. and their relatives go out to check how they are doing.

Secondly, we have seen the effective shutdown of Galway and Waterford airports and decimation of the numbers going through Shannon, so people have to use Dublin to escape.
More of the usual P.ie nihilism on display.

Tourism has been improving for the last couple of years.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies