• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Passports for children of ''New Irish''.

seanmoylantd

My brother in law got Irish Citizenship after 6 years of work permits.He has 3 non EU children .What is their legal position now?Are they entitled to become citizens ?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
It sounds like your sister made a fine catch.

My brother in law got Irish Citizenship after 6 years of work permits.He has 3 non EU children .What is their legal position now?Are they entitled to become citizens ?
If they are minors then he can apply for them to be naturalized too, but their right to citizenship is not automatically established. Any children born after his naturalization should become citizens automatically.

tokkie

Congrats to your brother in law. Now, where were the kids born and how old are they?

ShoutingIsLeadership

If they are minors then he can apply for them
to be naturalized too, but their right to citizenship is not automatically established. Any children born after his naturalization should become citizens automatically.
Just curious, but descendants of people born in Ireland are entitled to Irish passports, so why would these kids not be immediately entitled?

GDPR

They were born before he became an Irish citizen so they have no automatic rights to anything.

ruserious

When will the 'new' Irish become the Irish? Surely everything including new citizens has a depreciation?
I hate the term.

Just curious, but descendants of people born in Ireland are entitled to Irish passports, so why would these kids not be immediately entitled?
Only the children and grandchildren of people born in Ireland. And this man is not from Ireland, neither are his kids (I surmise, anyway). Once he is naturalised, any kids born from here on in would be entitled to passports. But the kids that pre-exist will have to go through a 3 year process if they are minors (and the normal naturalisation process if they are not minors).

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

When will the 'new' Irish become the Irish? Surely everything including new citizens has a depreciation?
I hate the term.
The 'new Irish' is one of thse Celtic Tiger buzzwords offered by mediocrities who speak solely in chichés. Either they are Irish or they are not. If they are not they are more than welcome anyway, but they are still not Irish. Their kids, if born in Ireland, will be.

seabhcan

Only the children and grandchildren of people born in Ireland. And this man is not from Ireland, neither are his kids (I surmise, anyway). Once he is naturalised, any kids born from here on in would be entitled to passports. But the kids that pre-exist will have to go through a 3 year process if they are minors (and the normal naturalisation process if they are not minors).

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
If they have lived here for 3years then they can apply right away. They will get the result in less than 6months.

GDPR

I hate the term.
The only person who can decide whether you are Irish or not is you. I cannot see people who imprison their women in walking tents and who seek to erode our hard fought for rights and freedoms seeing themselves as new Irish except in an aggressive way where new excludes the old. As for the rest and more valued immigrants I think it honestly takes time for someone to abandon their old identity. I think the kids can become Irish (not this bs suffocating ''new Irish'' term) but the parents will always have a dual identity.

gijoe

As I understand they have to apply for their own citizenship when they come of age. Its not automatic and no one can apply on their behalf.

Schomberg

It's the same rules that apply to virtually all European citizenships I think. If you'd one parent born in Ireland with Irish citizenship then you're entitled to citizenship even if you were born outside the state. However if your children are then not born in the state, they are not entitled to Irish citizenship.