• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Pat Kenny "can't afford to retire"

Watcher2

Pat Kenny says he can't afford to retire, as he reveals his regrets over turning down UK work - Celeb News, Independent Woman - Independent.ie

Wow. Pat is just like the rest of us, and there was me thinking that anyone earning €729k a year would be having it easy. Guess all the hassle over the "land grab" was a mistake.

Get ready for more such stories. Even the well remunerated made stupid forrays into property and other investments now tainted.

I can well believe Pat is under water financially. What bank,. back in the day, wouldn't have given the likes of Kenny whatever they asked for?

Analyzer

Obviously an extortion racket extorting a levy out of working families who can barely afford their own groceries, does not provide enough comfort for plank !!!!!

Sell Pravda, abolish the non-consensual levy racket, and let the Pravda bores absord some realism !!!!

ruserious

[video=youtube;gu6d0ns-JJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu6d0ns-JJU[/video]

Victor Meldrew

Get ready for more such stories. Even the well remunerated made stupid forrays into property and other investments now tainted.

I can well believe Pat is under water financially. What bank,. back in the day, wouldn't have given the likes of Kenny whatever they asked for?
My Dentist and Doctor are still working, well into retirement, for these reasons, but they compete on a relativly open market for business.

Pat is being paid €700K because someone thinks it is a good Idea. Some of that money is ours. This is wrong.

No-one in the state deserves a "bail-out" to that extent. I have a bit of time for the Plank as a broadcaster, but the context of his remuneration taints any commentary he ever makes on current affairs, and also taints his objectivity as a moderator of debate.

Grumpy Jack

You only have to look at his old pal Gaybo to see what has happened to a lot of people who were high earners over the last few decades - still working in his late-70s.

His savings and investments were wiped out twice - first when he was ripped off by his accountant, then by the recent banking and property crashes.

Quite a few in the same boat thanks to the latter - including my own boss and my wife's boss, both small business owners.

meriwether

In this country, the only way you can be unable to afford to retire having been on a salary of 729k is if you lost it all in property.

Well done Pat, you plank.

Gay Byrne lost it all in property, as did Mike Murphy. But not to worry, RTE will create some tenuous bullsh1t show you can showcase and earn some soft money on.

davoid

But I thought he knew everything?

After all, didnt somebody somewhere say he was a mechanical engineer?

Analyzer

As long as there is a compulsory, levy extracted out of working families, under the threat of a jail sentence, this level of largesse will continue.

The problem is the Pravda levy. The Pravda Levy makes Montrose Millionaires inevitable.

niall78

Pat is in financial trouble? In what way? There is a strong possibility depending on how he is in trouble that he has a vested interest in certain outcomes and this could effect his impartiality on certain subjects.

It's time Pat came clean and told us how and why and to whom he is in financial trouble with.

It's also interesting to note how many of these incredibly well remunerated RTÉ 'stars' are under money pressure. Enough was never enough, their greed was limitless.

Watcher2

My Dentist and Doctor are still working, well into retirement, for these reasons, but they compete on a relativly open market for business.

Pat is being paid €700K because someone thinks it is a good Idea. Some of that money is ours. This is wrong.

No-one in the state deserves a "bail-out" to that extent. I have a bit of time for the Plank as a broadcaster, but the context of his remuneration taints any commentary he ever makes on current affairs, and also taints his objectivity as a moderator of debate.
My dentist similarly, but its not because he cant afford to retire per se due to debts etc, but rather he cant sell his practice (pension fund) because the banks wont lend the money to would-be purchasers.

That said, I have no doubt many doctors and dentists and other highly paid individuals are screwed with debts they most likely cant pay anytime soon as noted above.

44percent

As long as there is a compulsory, levy extracted out of working families, under the threat of a jail sentence, this level of largesse will continue.

The problem is the Pravda levy. The Pravda Levy makes Montrose Millionaires inevitable.
Sounds like a good proposal: no TV license fee, let RTE sink or swim, redeploy the license house call staff. Win win and win.

Watcher2

In this country, the only way you can be unable to afford to retire having been on a salary of 729k is if you lost it all in property.

Gay Byrne lost it all in property, as did Mike Murphy. But not to worry, RTE will create some tenuous bullsh1t show you can showcase and earn some soft money on.

Property and bank shares....order of the day back then.

And of course you had all those high flying investment "gurus" who took other high fliers money and stuck it into useless bank and property related shares and p1ssed it all away like that.

hammer

The longer PK keeps working the better.

Need some balance in RTE when surrounded by FF idiots.

APettigrew92

But I thought he knew everything?

After all, didnt somebody somewhere say he was a mechanical engineer?
And Bertie Ahern "supposedly" had a University Degree also.

The Hubris of RTÉ is the fact that very few of its "stars" seem to be able to hold on to their own wealth.

If you're earning the bones of €750,000 - €900,000 a year and you somehow can't hack out a pension scheme based on that, then frankly you deserve to retire poor.

You can only imagine the amount of idiotic investments you would have to make to burn all of that year-in year-out.

Considering the majority of the Irish Population earns about that salary in a lifetime, you can't seriously take pity on some second-rate talkshow host who is paid more than just about every head of state alive who still can't seem to put a fraction of his undeserved fortune away.

sport02

Let's look at Vincent Browne, he has had his problems, I think he had to sell his Dalkey house.
Now compare Pat Kennys 700,000 euro wage to Vincents TV3 wage.

Victor Meldrew

Here's the thing, Like the "occupy Killiney" couple with their 20 to 30 properties sitting out in their tent, Pat and Gaybo were VERY WELL paid.

Pure greed drove them to "invest" in property. That sort of investment drove the price of homes up for individual families. The little people. It also drove the Anglo/AIB/BOI swamp of wealth destruction.

Nowhere in the Media has anyone tackled the amoral greed that drove a generation to shaft their children's generation.

Yer man in Ruserious's clip is bang on. But it goes deeper and wider than Pat. I'm in my late 30's, very few of my parent's generation are "clean" on this. Yet their greed persists.

niall78

Well Gerry managed to do the same by sniffing massive amounts of tax payer subsidised coke.

Monday Monday

If Pat wants to work past his 65th birthday then bully for him but please stop pretending that RTE "talent" can get multiples of their Irish salaries in other jurisdictions. If that was possible they would all be working for the BBC or Sky.

The list of RTE stars who have been rejected by the UK broadcasting world is massive and ever-growing.

They may not be public servants but public servants pay them from the public purse. It makes me wonder what is being hidden by the distraction of Pats 3/4 million pay packet.

Is RTE another FAS.