Pat Kenny supreme?

Shannon73

I have decided for some time that Pat Kenny is head and shoulders over all other interviewers on Radio. His understanding of the subject under discussion is always dead on and he has never to push his way with the interviewee. His depth of knowledge is amazing - on any topic

To-day's discussion on cervical cancer was such an education and certainly did not depend on snippets from other programmes or newspaper articles. Go maire tú céad, Pat.

Boy M5

I think he's more biased or rather shows his bias on Noosetalk

He's Patridgesque.
. The Turbine ran a piece 20 years ago comparing him to Partridge due to Partridge. In fact there were the Planks quotes on LLS and A G Partridge quotes you had to atribute the quotes to each. It wasn't easy.

Also the time he had Mel Brown from the Spice Girls on LLS and she sat in the audience. He followed her. That was pure Partridge.

Best interviewers worst M Finucane.
Colm O'Mongáin like his colleague John Burke is always well briefed and ask right initial original and supplemental questions.
Also Cormac Oheadra, Fionnuala Sweeney & Katie Hannon.

Last edited:

Boy M5

I think he's more biased or rather shows his bias on Noosetalk

He's Patridgesque.
. The Turbine ran a piece 20 years ago comparing him to Partridge due to Partridge. In fact there were the Planks quotes on LLS and A G Partridge quotes you had to atribute the quotes to each. It wasn't easy.

Also the time he had Mel Brown from the Spice Girls on LLS and she sat in the audience. He followed her. That was pure Partridge.

Best interviewers worst M Finucane.
Colm O'Mongáin like his colleague John Burke is always well briefed and ask right initial original and supplemental questions.
Also Cormac Oheadra, Fionnuala Sweeney & Katie Hannon.

Some reason I can't move my cursor around that post apologies it's disjointed.

Half Nelson

I've lost all faith in Kenny as an interviewer and broadcaster.
Newstalk appears to have given him free rein to exercise his bias and hangups, to the point that he can be quite silly.
A sad way to end a career.

sethjem7

I thought I was getting a recipe for a cake.

Last edited:

Paddy{ie

I have decided for some time that Pat Kenny is head and shoulders over all other interviewers on Radio. His understanding of the subject under discussion is always dead on and he has never to push his way with the interviewee. His depth of knowledge is amazing - on any topic

To-day's discussion on cervical cancer was such an education and certainly did not depend on snippets from other programmes or newspaper articles. Go maire tú céad, Pat.
Would that be the one for normal or greasy hair?

ger12

He used to be good. Stopped listening to him a long time ago. He doesn't like shinners, his distaste is obvious.

Boy M5

He used to be good. Stopped listening to him a long time ago. He doesn't like shinners, his distaste is obvious.
Will Finucane replace him?
Or would that be too Stickie for Brien?

We need SF held to account. There's a rich vein to be tapped which has nothing to a generation ago in the North. However, the likes of Finucane and plank prevent it.

Spanner Island

I've lost all faith in Kenny as an interviewer and broadcaster.
Newstalk appears to have given him free rein to exercise his bias and hangups, to the point that he can be quite silly.
A sad way to end a career.
And he was better when cocooned in RTE???

Not really a fan but imo he's improved since leaving there as the bias and ignorance of many in RTE has been shameful over years and decades... whether it's Miriam winking at Mehole during the GE campaign debate or Joe Duffy unable to fathom anything much to do with the private sector or Sean O'Rourke's unrelenting bias towards the eFFing traitors etc.

Pat was hopeless on issues to do with trade unions and strikes and even things like hotel prices going up and down based on demand - a subject I remember clearly as he seemed genuinely non plussed by it...

He's much more clued up on the state being taken for a ride by all and sundry and the contempt for public money and the waste therein than he used to be...

Telstar 62

Agree on his acumen and ability.

His recent Brit-bashing efforts, however, have been obnoxious.

Some Brit must have rattled his cage in Bermuda!!:rolleyes:

storybud1

I recall one interview with Higgins before the Frontline stitch-up when he asked Higgins 3 times about his view on abortion, Higgins weaseled out of it 3 times as predicted for someone of his low nature, but at Kenny should have just ended it so you agree with abortion then,, pity, he could have been a contender but the frontline finished him for me,, he should have sensed the fit-up from the marxists in RTe at the time,

Hitchcock

I recall one interview with Higgins before the Frontline stitch-up when he asked Higgins 3 times about his view on abortion, Higgins weaseled out of it 3 times as predicted for someone of his low nature, but at Kenny should have just ended it so you agree with abortion then,, pity, he could have been a contender but the frontline finished him for me,, he should have sensed the fit-up from the marxists in RTe at the time,
:lol::lol:

mr_anderson

Absolutely. I've mentioned this before also.

I spend a lot of time in the car and listen to hours of radio each day.
Kenny is akin to a well-practised barrister, holding a great command of many topics when interviewing, especially those of a political or economic nature.

Nobody comes close to him on the radio (or TV).
You can tell the 'celeb' interviews don't really interest him. Like every job, you have to do things that aren't to your liking.
But in issues of real substance he's in a league of his own.

jmcc

I have decided for some time that Pat Kenny is head and shoulders over all other interviewers on Radio.
What do the JNLR figures say about his radio programme? Is it losing listeners?

willow68

What do the JNLR figures say about his radio programme? Is it losing listeners?
I've given up on mainstream news..though I used to enjoy Dunphy in the olden days on newstalk.
These days I listen to Alex Jones and the Fullerton Informer.

asset test

Well just to say, his opposite number in RRRR TTTTT EEEEE is SOR, whose missus is now some FG advisor, and his daughter has connections too. In fairness he doesn't say much about it.

But I find Kenny's voice much more mellow and easy to listen to than SOR who can get very narky sometimes.

Anyway, to my mind Kenny is an all rounder. SOR was a pol cor and can find the lighter moments of a two hour show a bit wearing. He cuts off that fella with the hat who goes to the courts like a dagger.

All very entertaining no matter what.

I listen to PK during the day, and use RTE player for SOR. More often than not I cannot be ar sed listening to some of the drivel on both sides.

But Kenny is a pro at this iMV.

Rev Brimstone

Pat has gradually poshed up his radio accent over the years, "past" and "last" have become "pawst" and "lawst", not to mention the appalling " yaw" for "yeah".
He carefully drops the 'aitch, when he remembers, but sometimes he forgets (listen out for it).
It's disappointing that a man of his age and experience is resorting to affectations like this.
Another bad habit, that's getting worse, is his interrupting. He'll pose a question, and as the interviewee is about to respond, will summarise the question again, to display some facet of his own research. This is before an interviewee can get two words out. It's as if Pat's confidence was shot by the whole " Move the Dial " disaster, which saw SOR retain all Pats listeners (for a fraction of the money).
Its sad to see a broadcaster of such stature decline like this.

fifilawe

Pat has gradually poshed up his radio accent over the years, "past" and "last" have become "pawst" and "lawst", not to mention the appalling " yaw" for "yeah".
He carefully drops the 'aitch, when he remembers, but sometimes he forgets (listen out for it).
It's disappointing that a man of his age and experience is resorting to affectations like this.
Another bad habit, that's getting worse, is his interrupting. He'll pose a question, and as the interviewee is about to respond, will summarise the question again, to display some facet of his own research. This is before an interviewee can get two words out. It's as if Pat's confidence was shot by the whole " Move the Dial " disaster, which saw SOR retain all Pats listeners (for a fraction of the money).
Its sad to see a broadcaster of such stature decline like this.
I think what you're saying he's past his sell by date, I agree only that was 10-15 years ago.

ticketyboo

I actually agree with you.......he does generally know and understand his brief......
Perhaps yourself and Anderson are fans because of his undeniable distaste for Sinn Féin....I can give him credit as a good professional broadcaster in spite of it....
And ... somebody mentioned Finucane...? For the love of Christ don't mention her in the same breath as Kenny....a vacuous lightweight witterer....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies