Patient Advocate Resigns from HSE Board

ruman

Mark Molloy has resigned from the HSE board citing a tokenistic attitude towards patients as the reason.

His comments on our maternity service and the unwillingness to fund it are alarming.

"We have a strategy in place that we know can prevent possibly four or five cerebral palsy cases a year and we have decided not to fund it. I can't reconcile it. And I don't want to be around it, I don't want to be signing off on it, I don't want to be accountable for it. Integrity goes out the window. The trust is broken."

Will the taxpayer end up paying out millions in negligence costs as a result ?

We have a number of high profile celebrity consultant obstetricians in this country who seem to be rarely out of the news. Does anyone find it strange that none of them have commented on this and also that our media have not asked them about it ?

Barroso

I read the linked article in the Indo (which I usually avoid like the plague), and my attitude went from "just another well-connected family having a beef" to an attitude of awe. Essentially, it looks like this guy and his wife were insistent people who insisted on getting answers about a baby of theirs who died in murky circumstances, and who were both given seats on state boards to shut them up - but they took their jobs seriously, and the husband has now resigned after just one year on the board of the HSE. Although the interview with Mark and Róisín Molloy contains one eye-opener after the other, if there was one piece that stood out for me it was this:
Early on, he said, he had concerns about the level of scrutiny applied to the "big ticket" items coming before the directors and he felt his concerns were not always reflected in the minutes of board meetings, which are published on the HSE's website.
"I was concerned that the questions that I did ask, pretty serious questions on aspects of the running of the HSE, were not fully reflected in the minutes of those meetings," he said.
This doesn't come as a surprise to me as I've heard it said by a senior public servant that the minutes of meetings do not reflect what is discussed/decided, but what they want to pretend was discussed/decided.

Between this and the Tusla article on Broadsheet entitled The Silencing, about how children with concerns about being sexually abused, and their parents, are dealt with by Tusla (by being made to shut up or be handed over to the parent they have complained about), it seems that the new government will have its work cut out - at least in the health and childcare/justice departments.

I'd like to say thanks to both the Molloys & the Indo on the one hand, and to Broadsheet & their reporter on the other for lifting two little corners of the carpet for us to view the entirely unedifying mess underneath.

This is whistleblowing at its best, and from a political point of view certainly shows that the population was absolutely right to reject Varadkar, Harris, Flanagan and Zappone at the polls two weeks ago.

However, it also goes to show that despite our whistleblowing legislation, these cases show that all the previous dubious practices are alive and well, and even thriving, in our Ireland of 2020. It's just as though there was no whistleblowing legislation there at all. Certainly none that worries the powers that be, and in particular the bosses of our public service bodies.

Uganda

I went to hse website to read minutes of hse board meetings but got sidetracked by a 101 page survey among the staff.

in the 101 pages the word “patient(s)” is mentioned 7 times.

one relates to work categorisation of responders I.e. “patient facing”

five (5) references relate to bullying/abuse/discrimination etc BY patients.

to me this says all that needs to be said about what those who work in the hse see as the reason for their existence

ruman

I read the linked article in the Indo (which I usually avoid like the plague), and my attitude went from "just another well-connected family having a beef" to an attitude of awe. Essentially, it looks like this guy and his wife were insistent people who insisted on getting answers about a baby of theirs who died in murky circumstances, and who were both given seats on state boards to shut them up - but they took their jobs seriously, and the husband has now resigned after just one year on the board of the HSE. Although the interview with Mark and Róisín Molloy contains one eye-opener after the other, if there was one piece that stood out for me it was this:

This doesn't come as a surprise to me as I've heard it said by a senior public servant that the minutes of meetings do not reflect what is discussed/decided, but what they want to pretend was discussed/decided.

Between this and the Tusla article on Broadsheet entitled The Silencing, about how children with concerns about being sexually abused, and their parents, are dealt with by Tusla (by being made to shut up or be handed over to the parent they have complained about), it seems that the new government will have its work cut out - at least in the health and childcare/justice departments.

I'd like to say thanks to both the Molloys & the Indo on the one hand, and to Broadsheet & their reporter on the other for lifting two little corners of the carpet for us to view the entirely unedifying mess underneath.

This is whistleblowing at its best, and from a political point of view certainly shows that the population was absolutely right to reject Varadkar, Harris, Flanagan and Zappone at the polls two weeks ago.

However, it also goes to show that despite our whistleblowing legislation, these cases show that all the previous dubious practices are alive and well, and even thriving, in our Ireland of 2020. It's just as though there was no whistleblowing legislation there at all. Certainly none that worries the powers that be, and in particular the bosses of our public service bodies.
Meanwhile the DOH is boasting about its new Patient Advocacy Service !

As far as i can tell you can raise a complaint with this new body who will then pass it on to the HSE/hospital etc. The new body doesnt appear to have any actual powers so effectively rather than being ignored by the HSE you can now have the HSE ignore this new body !!!

A pretty powerless body more about optics and being seen to do something. The HSE seems to have been set up to deflect attention from the DOH and their appears to be similar motivation with this new body. Amusingly the DOH Secretary General is boasting about it all over social media, surprisingly he doesnt have anything to say about Mark Molloys resignation !!

Barroso

Meanwhile the DOH is boasting about its new Patient Advocacy Service !

As far as i can tell you can raise a complaint with this new body who will then pass it on to the HSE/hospital etc. The new body doesnt appear to have any actual powers so effectively rather than being ignored by the HSE you can now have the HSE ignore this new body !!!

A pretty powerless body more about optics and being seen to do something. The HSE seems to have been set up to deflect attention from the DOH and their appears to be similar motivation with this new body. Amusingly the DOH Secretary General is boasting about it all over social media, surprisingly he doesnt have anything to say about Mark Molloys resignation !!
Doubtless it has a paid board stuffed with people of a particular political persuasion.

ruman

And for all the election talk about how important health is none of the 3 larger parties have shown any indication that they are willing to implement the radical reform necessary.

brughahaha

I went to hse website to read minutes of hse board meetings but got sidetracked by a 101 page survey among the staff.

to me this says all that needs to be said about what those who work in the hse see as the reason for their existence

Not just the HSE ...our Public Services are generally far more concerned that the provision of Public Services are convenient for those employed to provide them rather than the actual provision of Services .

brughahaha

Doubtless it has a paid board stuffed with people of a particular political persuasion.
And in many cases already board members of other Public quangoes or bodies with a proven record of obsequious head nodding and no difficult questions

ruman

Not just the HSE ...our Public Services are generally far more concerned that the provision of Public Services are convenient for those employed to provide them rather than the actual provision of Services .
Yes 2011 was a once in a lifetime opportunity to radically reform the public service. The failure of FGLab to do so was criminal, the recent election was the day they were left facing the consequences of their capitulation to vested interest groups.

The troika highlighted the reforms needed in the health and legal professions it seems pretty clear no irish party is willing to do this. Either the troika will need to come back or we need a pan European health service effectively run by germany.

Personally i dont think it will make any difference whatsoever to services whether we have a FF, FG or SF Health Minister.

Uganda

Yes 2011 was a once in a lifetime opportunity to radically reform the public service. The failure of FGLab to do so was criminal, the recent election was the day they were left facing the consequences of their capitulation to vested interest groups.

The troika highlighted the reforms needed in the health and legal professions it seems pretty clear no irish party is willing to do this. Either the troika will need to come back or we need a pan European health service effectively run by germany.

Personally i dont think it will make any difference whatsoever to services whether we have a FF, FG or SF Health Minister.
I agree.

The Health Ministers tend to absorb their energies on various management/operational crises which arise from time to time. This of course suits the management down to the ground - they can deflect all their shortcomings onto the minister.

Harris hasn’t confronted this at all.

I doubt Donnelly would either.

And as a former paid trade union official O’Reilly wont to anything to upset the vested interests.

So the well paid apparatchiks will continue to excercise their veto on the delivery of proposer healthcare

Barroso

I believe that any employee should have good working conditions and pay, whether in the public or in the private sectors.
Regarding convenience for the staff - if you are talking about the upper echelons, I could not agree more. The lower echelons, at least in the HSE, seem to work very hard. An friend - office staff - who works in the HSE once told me that they had previously worked in the civil service, and that you seriously had to work for your money in the health service.

redmonite

I agree, but how much support did James Reilly get in trying to implement UHI, from all the supporters of " radical reform "

ruman

I agree, but how much support did James Reilly get in trying to implement UHI, from all the supporters of " radical reform "
The same as Shatter got trying to reform the legal profession ?!
Granted neither helped their case.

You dont take on the vested interest groups in ireland. FFGSF wont so it wont make a blind bit of difference. Best we can hope for is further european integration and a pan european health service.

ruman

I believe that any employee should have good working conditions and pay, whether in the public or in the private sectors.
Regarding convenience for the staff - if you are talking about the upper echelons, I could not agree more. The lower echelons, at least in the HSE, seem to work very hard. An friend - office staff - who works in the HSE once told me that they had previously worked in the civil service, and that you seriously had to work for your money in the health service.
Yes that's the tragedy and what's worse is you can file a complaint against a nurse/doctor with their regulatory body and their will be a public inquiry with the media present.

Who investigates complaints against HSE managers ?

Yes correct in one. HSE management !

How the unions have allowed that to happen i'll never know.

Patslatt1

The same as Shatter got trying to reform the legal profession ?!
Granted neither helped their case.

You dont take on the vested interest groups in ireland. FFGSF wont so it wont make a blind bit of difference. Best we can hope for is further european integration and a pan european health service.
Shatter wanted to allow businesses to own legal services. In the USA, none of the 50 states allow this AFAIK, presumably for good reasons. The public would find it difficult to hire top lawyers to take on unpopular cases if businesses employed them.

Patslatt1

PR VOTING CULPRIT
Extreme proportional representation voting makes for weak coalition governments that indulge in short termism at the expense of long term planning necessary for delivery of an efficient welfare state,including health care. My simple solution: limit the choice of voting to two candidates, which would result in stronger governments.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Both from Goldman Sachs....

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

When next you are at/in a hospital, count the signs mandating that no one abuse the staff [dozens]. I have no problem with that but I defy you to find even one sign mandating that the staff not abuse patients. There is an entire policy bulletin discussing abuse of staff by patients and not one word in policy or procedure talking about staff abusing patients. You need to be aware that the mildest of criticism of the actions of a staff member is now considered gross abuse. Not sure what the penalty is as they won't disclose the policy, but maybe tossing the patient out into the snow for mentioning the soup was salty?!

ruman

Shatter wanted to allow businesses to own legal services. In the USA, none of the 50 states allow this AFAIK, presumably for good reasons. The public would find it difficult to hire top lawyers to take on unpopular cases if businesses employed them.
The public already finds it difficult to access legal services in this country.
For medical negligence cases the costs are huge and out of reach for most of the population.

A single mother whose child has been left massively disabled due to HSE incompetence will never get an explanation in Ireland. The more wealthy can at least bring a Civil Action. Medical experts and legal professionals garner huge fees from this industry.

Popular Threads

Most Replies