• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Patrick Mercer, MP resigns party whip: Lobbying scandal revealed : Telegraph/C4 Panorama

Analyzer

Once again, we see how public accountability works better in Britain than here.

Patrick Mercer MP resigns over lobbying scandal - Telegraph

The UK media got to the root of the rot very quickly.

Mercer has resigned from the Tories, ("did he jump or was he pushed ?").

If this happened in Ireland,

i) the chances of the media breaking the story would be slim - especially THESH!TERIMES, or Pravda.
ii) he would not be under pressure to resign the party whip.
iii) it would quickly get forgotten about.
iv) no questions would ever be asked about what decisions were affected, and definitely no suggestions would be made about reversing such decisions.

In addition, there is now a high probability, that other the media will dig into his previous commentary and any projects where he was involved in the UK Parlaiment.

We can probably expect more revelations, and a complete cleanout of any scandals that has involved Mercer.

Last edited:

Analyzer

We don't do accountability or standards in public office here. END OF.
Well, let's see. This is the last day of the month of May. And let's put this to the test.

Derek Keating. Still in FG, and not getting any serious media attention. Lots of media attention at a local level. And that was about it.
Was it even covered by Pravda ? [I don't watch Pravda - so I don't know].

Then we had Shatter. The outburst about Wallace was undoubtedly a resignation matter. And the story provided about the breathalyzer is not one that I personally believe. And he just got endorsed by a majority of clowns in the Kildare Street circus.

This week also seen the release of a report from Price Wanquorhouse Coopers telling us that tax is the problem, even though they earlier had a report telling us that the Pravda Levy contributed to the economy. They are still getting state contracts, despite the debacle of the bank gaurantee, and the ongoing saga with Sean Quinn (both of which, they were very heavily involved).

There might have been more. But then very little of what happens gets reported.

mido

ShoutingIsLeadership

Once again, we see how public accountability works better in Britain than here.

Patrick Mercer MP resigns over lobbying scandal - Telegraph

The UK media got to the root of the rot very quickly.

Mercer has resigned from the Tories, ("did he jump or was he pushed ?").

If this happened in Ireland,

i) the chances of the media breaking the story would be slim - especially THESH!TERIMES, or Pravda.
ii) he would not be under pressure to resign the party whip.
iii) it would quickly get forgotten about.
iv) no questions would ever be asked about what decisions were affected, and definitely no suggestions would be made about reversing such decisions.

In addition, there is now a high probability, that other the media will dig into his previous commentary and any projects where he was involved in the UK Parlaiment.

We can probably expect Mercer to There might be more scandals.
They're definitely on top of it in the UK; sure didn't Peter Mandelson have to resign twice in disgrace, before he eventually became a European Commissioner and, latterly, Baron Mandelson of Foy?

Analyzer

They're definitely on top of it in the UK; sure didn't Peter Mandelson have to resign twice in disgrace, before he eventually became a European Commissioner and, latterly, Baron Mandelson of Foy?
The comparison could be made with Pee, who never had to resign from anything.

And then when he went to Brussels, the Irish media never said anything bad about him - until he shot himself in both feet - through his own arrogance.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The comparison could be made with Pee, who never had to resign from anything.

And then when he went to Brussels, the Irish media never said anything bad about him - until he shot himself in both feet - through his own arrogance.
Yet one is remembered with ridicule and the other is a baron.

Analyzer

Analyzer

True; I meant more in 'official' terms.
Yeah, well Phony Tony always felt massive gratitude towards Lord Meddlesome. With Pee having appointments at Tribunals, alongside de Bert, and other members of the FForgetful party, de Bert was never able to give Pee a title.

Let's call him "inta da pot" instead. Yeah - Pee, inta da pot.

gijoe

Pity. If he was a TD he'd be chairing an Oireachtas Committee for his troubles at the very least.

Mr. Bumble

Well, let's see. This is the last day of the month of May. And let's put this to the test.

Derek Keating. Still in FG, and not getting any serious media attention. Lots of media attention at a local level. And that was about it.
Was it even covered by Pravda ? [I don't watch Pravda - so I don't know].

Then we had Shatter. The outburst about Wallace was undoubtedly a resignation matter. And the story provided about the breathalyzer is not one that I personally believe. And he just got endorsed by a majority of clowns in the Kildare Street circus.

This week also seen the release of a report from Price Wanquorhouse Coopers telling us that tax is the problem, even though they earlier had a report telling us that the Pravda Levy contributed to the economy. They are still getting state contracts, despite the debacle of the bank gaurantee, and the ongoing saga with Sean Quinn (both of which, they were very heavily involved).

There might have been more. But then very little of what happens gets reported.
Mick Wallace defrauded the government of 2.000,000 euros. But that's no problem, he's fit for office.

Analyzer

And then there is Dicey and the debt "write off".

plus numerous TDs having issues with motoring offences.

And one of the saying "do you know who I am ?".