Paul Gogarty to run Green Mayor4Dublin campaign

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Gogarty to launch Green Party's campaign on Dublin Mayor

Dublin TD will engage with Dubliners over the summer about new position
The Green Party's spokesman for Dublin Paul Gogarty has announced that he will be rolling out a campaign over the summer to engage with citizens about the Dublin Mayor elections, which will take place later this year. The Dublin Mid West TD said that he wanted to talk to Dubliners about how they expected the Mayor to improve services in the city and county.

Joining him at a press conference on the concluding day of the Green Party's annual Convention in Waterford, Party Leader and Environment Minister John Gormley welcomed Paul's announcement and said that the Dublin Mayor would revitalise local government in the Capital. Dublin would benefit from a mayor with a strong, green vision, he added.

Deputy Gogarty said: "This summer, I will be running the Green Party's campaign to gather ideas and generate debate about the role of the new Mayor for Dublin. We want to engage with the public and talk about the issues and the vision that the new mayor could demonstrate."

"I will run a frugal campaign but concentrate on engaging with people directly; face-to-face on the streets of Dublin from Ballybough to Stepaside, and online at the website http://mayor4dublin.ie, which I will be launching shortly. The Mayor can bring huge value to the citizens of Dublin through better delivery of waste, water, transport and planning services. I believe that the Green Party has excellent policies in these areas and can offer voters a real vision for how Dublin can be run better."

Minister Gormley added: "There is a real opportunity for a Mayor to transform Dublin into a clean, green, smart city. It's already happening, but the Mayor will really be able to develop the city's reputation internationally. The Mayor will have real powers. To the people that have criticised my plan, I say: come and talk to me. Send me your ideas and I will see if we can improve the legislation. I want the Mayor to be a success, so if we can make the legislation better, then I am open to that.

"The new Dublin Mayor will have the power to ensure that the €1.5bn combined budget of the four Dublin councils is being correctly spent on implementing his or her plans. The draft legislation gives the Mayor unambiguous power to direct local authorities in this regard. There will be no question as to who is in charge. The Mayor will not operate at a level of approving the repair of individual potholes, but he or she will have formidable political powers," he said.

nbgb

well suppose he had to be given something to do seeing that he is their only td on the back benches and Gormless probably figured he'd do the least damage with this.

grassroots

He already has 50,000 verbal promises of votes...and that is only the voices in his head.

johnfás

I see the Green's have managed to get themselves dublinmayor.ie is already registered as well, good address. Www.Mayor.ie still vacant... how long until one of the parties snaps it up?

domain: dublinmayor.ie
descr: Green Party
descr: Unincorporated Association
descr: Discretionary Name
admin-c: AKT232-IEDR
tech-c: AAM456-IEDR
renewal: 23-March-2011
nserver: ns1.blacknight.com
nserver: ns2.blacknight.com
source: IEDR

Is this a Dick Cheney thing where he will search high and low for a candidate and end up selecting himself?
I wonder if he's getting an allowance for this speaking to Dubliners? I remember Cuffe was interested in running but as there's no hope of a
green getting it Gogarty is being allowed a run at it.
My bet is either Gay Mitchell or Ruairi Quinn will get elected.

Lightning Rod

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the Greens are taking the piss.
Gogarty couldn't run a creche if his life depended on it - isn't he like technically retarded or something?

Tomas Mor

Jaysus thats some confidence for the Greens. Who will they run, Go Go himself, or tempt Royston Brady ?

libertarian-right

Lol. Gogarty got shafted.

Gormley "Right, Cuffe, White your up next."

Boyle "Em, John, your forgeting P.Gogarty"

Gormley "Oh yeah...hmmm wanna run for mayor? There's really no junior ministry left for you Paul..."

Gogarty spins around on the floor with excitement.

Pauli

The first sentence of Dave's announcement reads:

"Dublin TD will engage with Dubliners over the summer about new position".

My only question is this:

Can we return fire?

talkies

I presume that the mayoral election campaign can only be run over fixed period (six weeks)? Is this just a sly way of running a longer one?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
The first sentence of Dave's announcement reads:

"Dublin TD will engage with Dubliners over the summer about new position".

My only question is this:

Can we return fire?
lol..."F you Pauli, F you":D

cricket

If he's allowed out, all he'll do is guarantee that he'll lose his Dáil seat next time out. The man is an absolute muppet. BTW, are we now going to have a Lord Mayor elected by the city council and a mayor at the same time elected by the voters ? That's local government reform , Green style, for you.

Catalpa

What voting mechanism will be used to decide the outcome - will it be like the Presidental one?

If so what happens if the LMOD resigns or meets with a nasty accident?

Who decides on his successor?

How long will the holder retain Office between elections?

&

Can anyone run for it or must they be chosen by the political establishment?

Appreciate any answers on these ones...:)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies