Paul McCartney - Proof that he is a gobsheen

"He had a brilliant idea of the Union Jack Tour, it was going to be Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland, but he couldn't get the availability at such short notice."
Paul McCartney choosing to Include Ireland in his mooted 'Union Jack tour'

Aristodemus

Talk about a poster with an inferiority complex. Get over it. It's like other idiots objecting to "the British Isles".

sauntersplash

Couldn't care less what he called it - the gig in the Point in December was one of the greats
One of the great whats? Pantomimes? Hendrix at Woodstock, Stones at Altamont, Dylan at Newport, Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard........McCartney at the Point, 2009? Don't think so.

...the man is one of the very few legitimate examples of the otherwise oversubscribed moniker 'a living legend'
This man is far, far, far from being a living legend, Ever notice the way you hardly ever see him banging out "Mull of Kyntyre" these days? That's cos his solo stuff is bloody brutal.

seanad voter

Seeing as Saint Patrick's Cross is included in the Union Flag ...

the man is one of the very few legitimate examples of the otherwise oversubscribed moniker 'a living legend'
lmao

a living legend! that he aint

Green eyed monster

Talk about a poster with an inferiority complex. Get over it. It's like other idiots objecting to "the British Isles".
The use of the term British Isles creates confusion about the difference between a geographical term and a political reality. Many people hearing about it who might not know the details could easily conclude Ireland - if it is a part of the British Isles is British - or we are ruled by the Queen (even Gorbachev once made that erroneous assumption). Imho British nationalist jingoism is responsible for the aggressive promotion of the term over the last 70 years - in everything from weather forecasts (there was one BBC weatherman who tried to use it in every sentence) to history.

The only Irish who wouldn't have a prob with that are ones who wouldn't mind being thought of as British and the Queen as their ruler, since she is not their ruler but yet they wouldn't mind people thinking she was - therefore this seems to indicate a lack of interest in their Irishness and their sovereignty.

Seeing as Saint Patrick's Cross is included in the Union Flag ...
It was British designed though wasn't it? In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they designed it specifically to complement the England+Scotland Union flag.

G

Gimpanzee

Paul McCartney choosing to Include Ireland in his mooted 'Union Jack tour'
The way the site keeps logging you out recently is a pain in the hole. Tools like the OP that I have gone to the trouble of putting on the ignore list suddenly pop up with this sort of crud.

Ha haa.As if proof were ever needed :)

seanad voter

It was British designed though wasn't it? In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they designed it specifically to complement the England+Scotland Union flag.
To the victor the spoils ?

And plenty of Irish people were quite happy to fly the Union Flag in Dublin and elsewhere this same year a century ago. Dublin boasted of itself as being the Second City of the Empire and many Irish were content to earn a living from that same empire.

cllr

I heard no one from Britain complain about him crossing the "Irish " Sea to get here. Anyway for once leave aside the Politics he is a legend and anyway my Granny was a McCartney from Liverpool so there!

Oppenheimer

One of the great whats? Pantomimes? Hendrix at Woodstock, Stones at Altamont, Dylan at Newport, Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard........McCartney at the Point, 2009? Don't think so.

This man is far, far, far from being a living legend, Ever notice the way you hardly ever see him banging out "Mull of Kyntyre" these days? That's cos his solo stuff is bloody brutal.
Nah....disagree...a 67 year old guy who played for three hours and did that in multiple venues is a great. Coupled to that much of the stuff he did with the Beatles (I will condede the Wings stuff though!) is creative brilliance and inspired tons of artists that followed. Probably one of the GREAT contemporary songs written was "Yesterday"

"Yesterday" is a song originally recorded by The Beatles for their 1965 album Help!. According to the Guinness Book of Records, "Yesterday" has the most cover versions of any song ever written. The song remains popular today with more than 3,000 recorded cover versions, the first hitting the United Kingdom top 10 three months after the release of Help!. Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI) asserts that it was performed over seven million times in the 20th century alone. The song was not released as a single in the UK at the time of the US release, and thus never gained number 1 single status in that country. However, "Yesterday" was voted the best song of the 20th century in a 1999 BBC Radio 2 poll of music experts and listeners. In 2000, "Yesterday" was voted the #1 Pop song of all time by MTV and Rolling Stone Magazine.
And I believe some of the "Greats" you noted are included in the 3000 that covered this.

As for Bill Evans.....I love his stuff but a great in terms of worldly support like the Beatles and McCartney he definitely ain't.

Interista

Isn't McCartney partly of Irish descent? Didn't he annoy a lot of people in Britain with his dire "GIve Ireland back to the Irish" song? We're not talkign some 'rule Britannia' die hard here - this was a throwaway remark of no political significance. Get over it.

And I agree with Oppenheimer. Paul is one of the few poeple who genuinely deserve to be called a true great.

flavirostris

Isn't McCartney partly of Irish descent? Didn't he annoy a lot of people in Britain with his dire "GIve Ireland back to the Irish" song? We're not talkign some 'rule Britannia' die hard here - this was a throwaway remark of no political significance. Get over it.

And I agree with Oppenheimer. Paul is one of the few poeple who genuinely deserve to be called a true great.
his mother's people were from Monaghan I believe, he was talking about it on Radio a while back

greenwithirony

And the word "British" is derived from a Welsh word & they're not even represented on the Union Jack!!11!!11

gatsbygirl20

Couldn't care less what he called it - the gig in the Point in December was one of the greats...the man is one of the very few legitimate examples of the otherwise oversubscribed moniker 'a living legend'

Besides by 'Ireland' he was referring to the Nordies.
His concert in the Point was absolutely brilliant, showcasing this extraordinary gifted and innovative artist still apparently at his peak. His sheer joy in doing his job well. his warm engagement with his audience, his extraordinary tales from an extraordinary life, rounded off with the best modern music one is ever likely to hear, made it a great night. He can call his tour by any name he likes. He is out on his own.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies