Paul Murphy TD granted Free Legal Aid

Concerned Irishman

According to the Indo anyway

Can anybody explain to me how exactly a man on €87,258 per year can qualify for the granting of Free Legal Aid?

He had some neck even applying for this! :mad:

ShoutingIsLeadership

You've difficulty with someone who is presumed innocent, seeking financial assistance to defend a case brought by a State with bottomless pockets?

Concerned Irishman

You've difficulty with someone who is presumed innocent, seeking financial assistance to defend a case brought by a State with bottomless pockets?
My difficulty is that public resources are being spent to subsidize the legal costs of a person of considerable financial means - more than enough to pay his own bills in this regard.

I have no issue with FLA - I have issue with it being granted in this case, as well you know.

Bea C

You mean a south County Dublin boy with bottomless pockets?

ShoutingIsLeadership

My difficulty is that public resources are being spent to subsidize the legal costs of a person of considerable financial means - more than enough to pay his own bills in this regard.

I have no issue with FLA - I have issue with it being granted in this case, as well you know.
Do you know what his costs have been or will be?

Do you know what his means are?

Bea C

I'm trying to think, who brought in the Criminal Justice (Legal Aid) Act, 1962? :confused:

ShoutingIsLeadership

You mean a south County Dublin boy with bottomless pockets?

You have evidence of this?

Being from South Dublin is a problem to you, but you have no problem eulogising a proven crook from Kinsealy, North County Dublin?

cobhguy

In the district court there is a limit based on what your income is however once it goes to the Higher court every one who applies gets legal aid.

olli rehn

According to the Indo anyway

Can anybody explain to me how exactly a man on €87,258 per year can qualify for the granting of Free Legal Aid?

He had some neck even applying for this! :mad:
He is the leader of the "can't pay- won't pay ! brigade". It is their motto- never pay for anything.Why do you want to know- did they not make this clear all the time ? Freeloading is the thing to do now !

GrainneDee

Difficulty with someone earning nearly ninety thousand a year getting free legal aid. You don't think that's strange?

Bea C

You have evidence of this?

Being from South Dublin is a problem to you, but you have no problem eulogising a proven crook from Kinsealy, North County Dublin?
That's where he moved to in 1969.
He was from Donnycarney (born in Mayo).

Red Clover

Didn't Murphy sell one of his properties recently having paid the property tax on it, behind everyone's back, despite shouting publicly to boycott this tax. He then changed tack to organise against water charges. No doubt he will pay this behind everyone's back eventually. How did he get free legal aid anyway? What are the criteria?

GrainneDee

Do you know what his costs have been or will be?

Do you know what his means are?
His means are almost ninety thousand a year. It's on public record.

Free Legal Aid is not based on what the costs will be, but on your income. I know a man who is earning far less than Paul Murphy, who was unable to fight a custody battle for his children because he didn't qualify for legal aid.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Difficulty with someone earning nearly ninety thousand a year getting free legal aid. You don't think that's strange?
I earn more than that and would be unable to fund such a defence.

Why should an innocent man's defence be restricted to what he can afford?

ShoutingIsLeadership

His means are almost ninety thousand a year. It's on public record.

Free Legal Aid is not based on what the costs will be, but on your income. I know a man who is earning far less than Paul Murphy, who was unable to fight a custody battle for his children because he didn't qualify for legal aid.

And that is quite frankly disgusting.

GrainneDee

There is an income limit to free legal aid. He is way above the income limit.

The point is there seems to be one law for him and one for the rest of us.

Concerned Irishman

If Dennis O'Brien got granted FLA in a court case, my thinking is that the Paul Murphy brigade would have a few things to say about it.

Are you happy about your taxes going to pay the solicitors bill of someone earning nearly 90K?

I'm on a good degree less than that and my guess is that if I applied for it I'd (rightly) be told to f*ck off with myself

New Threads

Most Replies