Paul Murphy TD granted Free Legal Aid

ireallyshouldknowbetter

The Indo article is short on detail. A lot of comment on here seems to assume that the normal rules regarding legal aid were suspended in this case. There's no basis for this speculation; there must be one of those pesky legal reasons that Murphy got the aid (if he did - it's unwise to take the word of the Independent for anything)

Bea C

Hopefully. Which is my point.
Charles Haughey had the vision to recognise the right to be presumed innocent when Parliamentary Secretary.
On becoming Minister, he brought it through.
In spite of some resistance at the time.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The Indo article is short on detail. A lot of comment on here seems to assume that the normal rules regarding legal aid were suspended in this case. There's no basis for this speculation; there must be one of those pesky legal reasons that Murphy got the aid (if he did - it's unwise to take the word of the Independent for anything)
The Indo article is of the dog whistle variety, in my opinion.

Clanrickard

R

Ramps

What's stranger is why he would choose a State appointed lawyer considering it's the State against whom he is competing.

Foolish if nothing else.
I don't think it works in Ireland the way it does in the movies, where the bum who is the Public Defender is assigned by the State.

runwiththewind

People are confusing civil legal aid (The Legal Aid Board) and criminal legal aid.

macedo

You've difficulty with someone who is presumed innocent, seeking financial assistance to defend a case brought by a State with bottomless pockets?
You don't really understand what free legal aid is about, do you?

Bea C

You presume.

But regardless, why should anybody have to expend their resources defending an allegation made by another party?
Who is the other party?
Is it me alleging he blackened my name outside a chipper some night?
Or is it the Gardai and DPP?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom