Paul Sommerville on with Marian Finucane

dent

I was seriously impressed with this guy, this morning Nov 6th (from about 40:25), on a normally FF cheerleading program.

I would heartily recommend that people listen to what the guy is saying. It's frightening and frustrating but powerful in the simplicity of what he is saying.

RT.ie Radio1: Marian Finucane

Clanrickard

I was seriously impressed with this guy, this morning Nov 6th (from about 40:25), on a normally FF cheerleading program.

I would heartily recommend that people listen to what the guy is saying. It's frightening and frustrating but powerful in the simplicity of what he is saying.

I have to say he has impressed me too. Heard him on Cooper after Lendahand and shredded what Lenny said.

turdsl

I have been listening to him for some time, No nonsense, Straight talking, His forecasts have been right,Sometime ago he said Lenihan was not fit for the job, The Media at the same time were saying Lenihan should be Toiseach. After this week we all know who was right.

asset test

Yes, I agree. I stopped in my tracks to listen intently to what he had to say.

He said what most of us are thinking, but the media has failed (apart from today) to publicise with any conviction. That's what he had... conviction.

I think though he got into a bit of hot water in relation to the appointment of a certain economist as adviser in DOF.

It made for great listening, and I am NOT a fan of MFinucane at all, but OH is, therefore I was forced to listen, thankfully.

johntrenchard

I have to say he has impressed me too. Heard him on Cooper after Lendahand and shredded what Lenny said.
yup heard that too. Zero waffle from the guy. Told it as it is.

Somebody needs to hire him as a financial advisor to the government ( and i dont care who the government is )

Him and McWilliams.

gijoe

Sommerville was great. Particularly in pointing out that all the other guests were coming up with wishy washy futuristic stuff that had feck all to do with what Ireland was facing with the reality of an IMF takeover in the next 3 months.

On another note Niall Crowley is officially my new pet hate. He predictably came out out the word 'equality' in every sentence. On the 'claiming our future' event he interestingly said that he knew about 100 of the 1000 participants. Whats the betting these 100 were the table moderators that were in tune with his thinking. If someone were to run over Crowley they would be doing the country a favour.

dent

On another note Niall Crowley is officially my new pet hate. He predictably came out out the word 'equality' in every sentence. On the 'claiming our future' event he interestingly said that he knew about 100 of the 1000 participants. Whats the betting these 100 were the table moderators that were in tune with his thinking. If someone were to run over Crowley they would be doing the country a favour.
Yeah, he is seriously bitter over the budget cut in the Equality Authority, and then took his ball home with him by resigning.

Pabilito

Sommerville was great. Particularly in pointing out that all the other guests were coming up with wishy washy futuristic stuff that had feck all to do with what Ireland was facing with the reality of an IMF takeover in the next 3 months.

That’s it, he nailed the wishey washey claptrap that we have been fed by RTE etc for the past two years. What amazed me was that he was allowed to continue talking, the penny must be starting to drop at RTE.

dent

yup heard that too. Zero waffle from the guy. Told it as it is.

Somebody needs to hire him as a financial advisor to the government ( and i dont care who the government is )

Him and McWilliams.
I've added that to the FG-Lab To Do list
http://www.politics.ie/fine-gael/141231-do-list-new-fine-gael-labour-government-5.html

He was spot on about the GE as well. What FF are doing now, is as close to treason as when DeValera instigated the armed rebellion against this state in 1922. They have form.

McDave

Somerville is frequently on Vincent Browne's show as well. He makes a lot of sense. And says it like it is. Like David McWilliams, Morgan Kelly and a few others. These are the kinds of independent-thinking Irish people I admire (I was going to add Constantin Gurdjiev to the list, even though I disagree with his essential politics, but he's not Irish is he? :D ).

On the other hand, Marian Finucance is seriously out-of-touch and clapped out. Her interruptions brought little light to the interview. It's time to retire her.

dent

That’s it, he nailed the wishey washey claptrap that we have been fed by RTE etc for the past two years. What amazed me was that he was allowed to continue talking, the penny must be starting to drop at RTE.
Yeah i couldn't quite believe it was on Marian Finucane's programme - I kept expecting him to be cut off.

McDave

Good point. Finucane left him pretty to his own devices, with a handful of relatively trivial interjections.

dent

These are the kinds of independent-thinking Irish people I admire (I was going to add Constantin Gurdjiev to the list, even though I disagree with his essential politics, but he's not Irish is he? :D ).
I wouldn't see his nationality as any bar to trying to help us. I should add that I wouldn't agree with a lot of his right wing philosophies but it is important to get the best minds together.

MPB

Sommerville is spot on when he talks about what our attitude to the Bank debt should be. The ECB/EU and the IMF are in a panic over the German and French Banks and the fear of contagion.

The bailout fund was set up to protect these Banks from exposure to Greek Govt debt and Portugal, Spain and Irelands property led Bank debt.

Use this to our advantage and hand the Bank problem to the ECB. Use the 50 billion in less borrowings to tackle our deficit in a productive way and move on from there.

McDave

I wouldn't see his nationality as any bar to trying to help us. I should add that I wouldn't agree with a lot of his right wing philosophies but it is important to get the best minds together.
Agreed. He's a definite asset to economic discourse in this country.

neutral_lurker

Yes hes the new peoples champion- my fave.

He has the facts, hes not a push over and he has a passion for the injustice he sees happening to our nation.

He3

Rewarding failure

He said failure is rewarded with promotion in Ireland. I think in context he meant in the PS. Is that fair comment?

He also said, incredulously, that the Chief Economist in Davy has been hired as Chief Economist at the Central Bank. Could this be true?

Last edited:

Dorris

He was forced to back track after the news, as did Marian, a very important point, so it's same old, but it sure was the most exciting twenty minutes since the next time I imagine getting laid. They'll hire him full time on twice the money, to shut him up. The yes man argument was so tight, no loose ends, unless of course he is Walter Mitty, which I doubt, his voice has strangled itself after just a few minutes. I'm listening again and it's like the best thrillers, doesn't believe a word of it, pity about the backing down a bit with regard to The Davy Crocks it guy.

ppcoyle

Paul Sommerville is correct in his analysis. It explains why yields on Irish bonds are heading rapidly upwards. The lenders on whom we are now dependent have lost all faith in the current management of the country.

In the real world of the private sector when this happens the current management is fired and a new team brought in. This new team undertakes the hard decisions and corrective action that the previous management failed to do. If the correct actions are undertaken by a new (competent) team then bond rates will fall back.

The big worry that we should all have is whether there is a new management team, waiting in the wings to take over, that is competent.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies