Paul Williams and free state Delusion

SeanMac

Williams is a Garda groupie.Ive seen him out gargling with them numerous times.I always love how he usese terms like"tough cop" or "gutteral Dublin accent"the latter presumebly refers to a working class accent.I wonder would he like to have the phrase bogtrotter etc applied to his speech.His books are riddled with inconsistencies.

Super8

Williams is a useless sensationalist. If he really was a threat to major criminals, he'd be dead.

Kilbarry

Since John Boland's article "The Deadly Cliches That Rock the State" doesn't seem to be available on line I will quote more of it. (Boland largely agrees with Paul William's thesis in "Badfellas" on the rise of violent crime from 1970 onwards; he just thinks Williams presents it in hackneyed terms.)

...... it was the contention of Williams that from 1970 onwards, violent republicanism - perpetrated in the South by the headbangers of Saor Eire and in the North by the Provos - was what almost immediately led to a new kind of criminality, one that embraced the same callous disregard for human life as that of the terrorists.

Before this new era of the gun, serious crime had been almost unknown in Ireland, and former Justice Minister Des O'Malley recalled being a young barrister in the Limerick of the 1960s when, at sitttings of the Circuit Court, the county registrar would present the judge with a pair of white gloves.

This he said was no signify that there was no indictable crime to be dealt with, and he added: I don't think there were white gloves in the Limerick of the 1980s, 1990s or 2000s or that there will ever be again".

The 1960s as portrayed here were blissful years or at least they were until towards the end of the decade when the Saor Eire psychos started robbing banks with guns, culminating in the 1970 Arran Quay murder of Garda Richard Fallon about which his son spoke eloquently in the film.

And then along came the Provos who made Saor Eire look like a bunch of amateurs and encouraged the Irish criminal fraternity to emulate their vicious practises. - and get away with them too as the Government of the day was so preoccupied with counter-terrorism that it failed to see what was happening.

That was the thesis and it was one with which it was difficult to argue. Certainly none of the Garda top brass or politicians in the film took issue with it, although Des O'Malley thought it might be an "overstatement" to insist that our current "crime situation" was a legacy of this terrorist violence.

For myself I think that the introduction of drugs as a major criminal commodity changed everything, but no doubt Williams will get around to this in the next two programmes. Now if he could only keep the cliches at bay ...
According to a Sunday Tribune article in January 2006, the year 2005 was the worst YEAR for homcides in the history of the State since the Civil War. And a few days ago we probably had the worst DAY for homicides in the history of the State (apart from the Dublin and Monaghan pub bombings in 1974). Just now on the 7 o clock RTE news there was a report of two men murdered in Finglas - and it was about the 10th item on the news. Does this kind of thing not even count as major news any more?

(The Sunday Tribune article is
http://www.tribune.ie/article/2006/jan/01/sixty-dead-in-worst-year-for-killings-since-the-ci/?q=murder

19 of the 60 homicides were gangland killlings. The other 41 show the rise of "ordinary" violence. There were 4 murders in 1966!!)

Last edited:

hammer

Do we have a Minister for Justice ?

How many people have been killed this year by assasination :(

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies