Paxman: political bias at BBC NI in the 1970's.

Enigma Variations

For anyone who lived through the era this will will hardly come as a surprise, but in Jeremy Paxman's recently published memoirs he makes the following observation based upon his experiences as a young reporter here during the years 1974-77:

“In the context of a divided island, that meant it upheld the status quo, reported the processions of drum-banging Protestant supremacists every 12th of July as a celebration of blessed history and had plenty of staff who saw the civil rights marches in 1968 as a threat to everything they held dear."

MP's wife tried to seduce Jeremy Paxman at Penthouse disco in Belfast's Europa Hotel - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Some would say that the BBC still retains a unionist bias, though by the standards of the past it has travelled a distance. I don't think the local BBC is anything close to being as deferential to the DUP for example as the BBC in London would be to the government of the day, although personal biases of certain individuals still shine through.

Unionists though do need to take on board that fact that the view of the Orange Order and their camp followers as "drum-banging Protestant supremacists" isn't merely restricted to local nationalists. Paxman is not some radical English lefty whose natural sympathies might predictably lean towards nationalists. He tells it as he sees it though.

former wesleyan

WHATABOUT:-

Mr Paxman said he was told he was “on a list” after a report he made was used as evidence in a case against Gerry Adams

:D

Enigma Variations

Mr Paxman said he was told he was “on a list” after a report he made was used as evidence in a case against Gerry Adams

I noticed that. I'm struggling to understand how a TV news report could in itself be used as evidence in a court case. Also I don't recall Adams ever standing trial, though I'm open to correction on that.

hollandia

:)
Iris up to her tricks back then - I know, I know, Peter wasn't an MP then.
Paxo has a big reputation, if you follow me. Not beyond the realms though, it didn't say if the mp was an mp at the time, or even a local mp. Could have been the wife of one of our Westminster mandarins.

Mickeymac

The BA/RUC told many thousands over decades they were on 'a list'...........all part of the dirty war pal, you need to read up some.

Strawberry

I noticed that. I'm struggling to understand how a TV news report could in itself be used as evidence in a court case. Also I don't recall Adams ever standing trial, though I'm open to correction on that.
Wasn't he tried and acquitted of IRA membership back in the 70s?

Irish-Rationalist

The BBC continues to cover the Twelfth as a traditional annual cultural event worthy of money and time spent on coverage. Whilst Irish Nationalists view it as a bigoted, sectarian, triumphalist, supremacist pageant,and Paxman has refered to it as "drum-banging Protestant supremacists" ..BBC NI haven't manifested any desire nor inclination to review their annual coverage of the "glorious twelfth". Perhaps a petition should be created and served upon BBC NI by those wishing to object to "The Twelfth" on grounds of modernity, egalitarianism and the new era?

It should be remembered that Mr Adams himself has stated that in a united Ireland 12th July celebrations shall be upheld under SFs commitment to cultural equality and freedom of cultural expression.

Enigma Variations

Paxo has a big reputation, if you follow me. Not beyond the realms though, it didn't say if the mp was an mp at the time, or even a local mp. Could have been the wife of one of our Westminster mandarins.
In the comments section of the article the wife of a someone who was an MP contemporaneously is mentioned. I'm not sure if the lady in question is still alive and she may be, so I'll leave it there. And of course it could have been the wife of one of the MPs running the NIO, though I'd doubt if many of them would have ventured over at a time when the Europa was being blown up regularly. The mid 70s was a scary time for all of us.

vinoboy

You saying Paxo is a big dick ?

hollandia

is/has - big/wee - how do you know these things Hollers ? :D
I pay attention when people are speaking, vino. It was talked about on bbc (news quiz, hignfy etc) for a few weeks about five years ago. Could even be a bit longer. (edit: Only saw that just now - no pun intended!)

InsideImDancing

He did have a run-in with Adams back in the 70s.

death or glory

I pay attention when people are speaking, vino. It was talked about on bbc (news quiz, hignfy etc) for a few weeks about five years ago. Could even be a bit longer.
I didn't know you could get a bit longer than a big dick, but you seem very knowledgeable on the subject.

Irish-Rationalist

Thank goodness DOG has arrived to rescue the thread from typical descent into puerile gibberish ..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies