• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Pay Your Toll Or We'll Take Your Car

bactrian

There is a report in todays paper of woman who went through the M50 Toll(allegedly) and failed to pay 22 times.

Woman who allegedly owes €3,300 for M50 tolls has car seized

She ended up with a bill of €3300 including fines penalties etc on what was an initial debt of €68.20.
(Toll= 3.10 per journey)

The Sheriff seized her car.

firefly123

Moonraker

I seem to remember an NRA spokesman, an Irish American chappy on the George Hook Newstalk show about 10 years ago. He said the M50 toll would be abolished in 7 years. Im still waiting.

Orbit v2

22 times could have been as few as 11 journeys to and from somewhere. So, to mushroom from €68 to €3,300 is pretty extreme and typical of the hammer headed approach we have to civil enforcement in this country. That said, I have zero sympathy for anyone who goes on with this "I dont recognise you" bullshyte towards the state.

Yet it seems the district court have rolled over and struck out the original judgement, in an action without notifying the NRA, which now necessitates a costly High Court action. It's typical of the idiocy of some courts to create pointless and stupid work for themselves and for lawyers, and potentially more costs for the woman herself down the line. Why on earth did the District Court allow this without notifying the NRA?

Baron von Biffo

james toney

Is there a tax haven she can escape to.....or ring Ivan Yates for expert advice on how to avoid paying tens of thousands?

PBP voter

For it to get to the sheriff stage she must have ingored countless chances to pay up.

Hard to have sympathy with her.

CatullusV

I remember clambering up ladders during its construction and peering in a terrified manner. I'm terrified of heights.

I remember well at that time that there was to be a strict time limit on tolls. I recall it was to be six years or so before the bridge was free.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, we got our ducting and transmission stuff in there.

dammit_im_mad

tolls? I thought the EU paid for all our new fancy roads and we owe them so much in return:roflmao:
Hmm... I thought we paid the EU for them in fish, in foreign bank gambling bailouts,
and with our 17 billion pension reserve fund!

Viva la EU. We Irish just love a good árse fúcking don't we? :rolleyes2:

sic transit

Hmm couldn't be bothered to pay €6 a day but can afford a €9K car and she refused to engage at any point. Really no sympathy whatsoever. The toll itself pays for the upkeep and any works so it will remain in perpetuity.

Edit: Here's what eflow say about paying the M50 toll on time.

Pay your M50 Toll on Time

Last edited:

The OD

No sympathy in this case but the system is a pain in the hoop. The amount of times I have gotten 'reminders' bills for tolls I did not accrue (because I have a functioning f*uc*king tag you utter morons) and got into arguments with them on the phone.

Seriously sick of it. Only 2 weeks ago I got a letter, checked the date and time, logged onto my own account and there you go, the same toll, PAID, AUTOMATICALLY and yet they still send me a letter. I nearly lost my rag on the phone as it happens quite regularly but no, they tried everything to make out I was somehow at fault. At one stage I was even asked was I driving too fast or too slow.....

Its incredibly annoying.

Roll_On

It should be a €3,300 toll for all the godbaws who swan through college green in the morning rush in their car. Or all the Audis that casually sail through the 24hr hour bus lane on the quays and hold everyone up.

sic transit

It should be a €3,300 toll for all the godbaws who swan through college green in the morning rush in their car. Or all the Audis that casually sail through the 24hr hour bus lane on the quays and hold everyone up.
Bus lanes I'll give you but the other can't happen without a proper public network that allows said godbaws a reliable alternative. Only then can we look at congestion charges.

Roll_On

Bus lanes I'll give you but the other can't happen without a proper public network that allows said godbaws a reliable alternative. Only then can we look at congestion charges.
What are you on about? Cars are currently banned from using college green from 07:00 to 19:00 Mon-Fri. A €3,300 fine to encourage adherence to CURRENT rules would be nice.