Paying for content. Wikipedia, newspapers, magazines, etc.

Socratus O' Pericles

I regularly get this message from Wikipedia:

Dear readers in Ireland, time is running out in 2016 to help Wikipedia. It's easy to ignore our fundraising messages; most people do. But we're a non-profit organization, sustained by donations averaging about €10. Only a tiny portion of our readers give. If everyone reading this right now gave €2, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. That's right, the price of a coffee is all we need. Please take one minute to help us keep Wikipedia online and growing. Thank you — Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia Founder
This form the Guardian:

What is Guardian Members?
Guardian Members is for you if you share our belief that the open exchange of information, ideas and opinions can change the world for the better. By signing up and paying your subscription (at Partner and Patron level), you are helping bring these words to life by supporting open and independent journalism. In return, you get access to events and experiences that are only available to members.
Why should I join?
Membership has a lot to offer and by joining us you can help build and shape Guardian Members into one of the world’s largest communities of free thinkers. Benefits include access to the Guardian live events programme. Events range from lectures by the world’s foremost thinkers to exclusive screenings of the latest independent films; from sessions with senior journalists at our offices in Kings Place to more intimate, bespoke events. Tickets are only available to Guardian members. If you want to support the Guardian and its journalism, and keep our website open to all, then joining Guardian Members and paying your subscription is a great way to do it.
How much does membership cost?
The Friend tier of Guardian Members is free. Supporters pay £5 per month or £49 per year.
I pay both of these but that's it...........the messages keep appearing despite my having paid.

Nothing to the Irish Times. I read their free 10 articles and then give up for the week, that is usually sufficient.

Anyone think this is stingy...............generous:shock2:.............or fair.

I know there's a generation out there who think everything on the Internet is free, an should continue to be. It is not and everything is monitised somehow. Some means are a lot darker than others........

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Rots never pays for anything on the Net ( due to financial constraints) but, if funds improve, would support Wikipedia, Counterpunch and probably the Guardian too..

Schmetterling

I give 10euro to Wikipedia when I get the fundraising message, but the message disappears then until the next year. I find it a useful resource and would hate to see it being spoiled with adverts. I don't pay for newspaper content, there are more than enough free news sites.

D

Deleted member 48908

I give 10euro to Wikipedia when I get the fundraising message, but the message disappears then until the next year. I find it a useful resource and would hate to see it being spoiled with adverts. I don't pay for newspaper content, there are more than enough free news sites.
I'm the same. Happy to give Wikipedia annually. If something's on a paywall protected newspaper site, it won't be long before it'll be reported by a paywall free site.

Orbit v2

I suspect if you create an account on wikipedia (and log in to it) you won't get the annoying message .. after you donate obviously.

I've noticed as well that newspapers are getting a bit more sophisticated in their attempts to squeeze some money out of us. The amount of free content is ever reducing.

Analyzer

Wikipedia and Wikileaks deserve our support.

To be honest, anybody making a donation to Wikileaks risks being added to records for being a dissident. Even if uou live in a so-called nuetral cointry.

I do not buy the IT on account of their propaganda during the property porm mania in the last decade.

I do not support INM because they have scelped a debt wrote down from a taxpayer funded bank, when they should have been instructed to pay up like occured with all the other debtors of the bank concerned.

When I was naive and young I bought a copy of the Econartist Magazine. I was disappointed to find it gives no insights into economics and pushes a political agenda. Never again.

PRAVDA-rte does not matter to me. I realised years ago that they were propaganda.

amist4

Nothing to the Irish Times. I read their free 10 articles and then give up for the week, that is usually sufficient.
Next time you hit an article and have no freebies let - right click on the link and open in incognito mode.

an modh coinniolach

Next time you hit an article and have no freebies let - right click on the link and open in incognito mode.
It's like a metaphor for that newspaper's various editorial policies.

hoipolloi

Don't think they're short of a couple of bob (or perhaps I should say dollars).

They have net assets to the value of $91 million - it's interesting to look at their financial accounts for 2015-2016.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/4/43/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Report_-_FY15-16.pdf

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Shhhh! Or you'll have everyone doing it and then they'll stop that one!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Wally Kenny has decried that we will be forced to pay for the mouthpiece of his regime - RTE

This is as Wally Kenny never wants the incovenient truth to come out - his wife Fionnuala was CJ Haughey's head of information terrorism ... and she knows how to cow Montrose

Problem is, leaving aside their Fianna Gaelean totalitarian tendencies ... just how do we ensure good quality, original information gets produced ?

Many in the Trumpian world prefer fake news promulgated by Uncle Vladimir ...

cyp

Analyzer

We already have fake news.

With PRAVDA-rte.

The "news" outfit that handled the IMF taking overcstate finances, by running a double edition of a third rate soap opera with fourth rste actors.

The rarely ever interview Gurdgiev ( probably the best economist in the state ) & even when it does occur he is controlled by the discussion topic.

Strangely enough, if I want to hear what Gurdgiev really thinks, & listen to him talk freely - I hsve to listrn to the Max Keiser show on Russia Todsy's English channel.

Now, do any of you find this indicative of deep levels of deceit in the propaganda organ of the Irish stare ?

HereWeGoAgain

We already have fake news.

With PRAVDA-rte.

The "news" outfit that handled the IMF taking overcstate finances, by running a double edition of a third rate soap opera with fourth rste actors.

The rarely ever interview Gurdgiev ( probably the best economist in the state ) & even when it does occur he is controlled by the discussion topic.

Strangely enough, if I want to hear what Gurdgiev really thinks, & listen to him talk freely - I hsve to listrn to the Max Keiser show on Russia Todsy's English channel.

Now, do any of you find this indicative of deep levels of deceit in the propaganda organ of the Irish stare ?
Rodney ‏@DJTriumph Dec 12

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read it, you're misinformed."- Denzel Washington

New Threads

Most Replies