• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Payphones - scrap them all?

CookieMonster

Yes, the only seem to be a meeting point for hooded youths and a target for vandals.

kerrynorth

My mam is not one bit tech savvy and has difficulty using a mobile so she does rely on payphones the odd time when travelling, for example to ring ahead to say what train she is getting on to be collected at the station etc.

wysiwyg

Eircom to cut almost half public phone kiosks - The Irish Times - Thu, Jan 22, 2009

Eircom is to scrap a further 50% of payphones in the country, reducing their number to 2700 from a high of 8500 in 1990.

I can't remember the last time I used a payphone. Do we need any of them?
So because you don't use them.. scrap them ?

Very selfish eh ?

I live in a small village where we still have a local payphone, and when someone enquired to Eircom if it was being removed, they were told that it was one of the biggest earning payphones in the county.. because there were quite a few foreign workers in the village who used it to ring home, as it was cheaper than a mobile..

So, maybe you should consider other people when you want a service scrapped.. because you can't remember the last time you used it

slx

Perhaps they could turn them into something useful - i.e. a dual purpose. E.g. maybe they could incorporate a payphone onto the side of one of these :

Or, in the UK they're being combined with ATMs

It just takes a bit of imagination!

Seos

So because you don't use them.. scrap them ?

Very selfish eh ?

I live in a small village where we still have a local payphone, and when someone enquired to Eircom if it was being removed, they were told that it was one of the biggest earning payphones in the county.. because there were quite a few foreign workers in the village who used it to ring home, as it was cheaper than a mobile..

So, maybe you should consider other people when you want a service scrapped.. because you can't remember the last time you used it
I was just going to point that out, they are used alot by foreigners in this country, especially people who don't want to/can't afford to pay line rental because they're cheap for long distance calls.

There's also the fact that it's not costing anyone in this thread anything to have them as they're run by private companies so it's ridiculous that they're suggesting they be scraped!

Yes, the only seem to be a meeting point for hooded youths and a target for vandals.
A car driver could say that about bus stops, or a homeless person about walls...

jfk2008

I used them over Christmas and New Year when my mobile wasn't working properly.

They're useful in case of emergency. You can't assume that everyone has a working mobile at all times.

RahenyFG

Well nearly 7 years later and we have half the number of payphones from 2009 at 1300 with 93% not economical. I say we should scrap them all or get rid of a lot more. I can think of many that could be scrapped. For example Raheny has two Eircom multi-sites which are just 200m apart and are never used. Scrap one multi-site if not both and there is also the horrible Smart Telecom payphone which doesn't work and is just an eyesore(there are many around the city!). Also Rathmines in Dublin must have the highest concentration of payphones in the entire country. On Rathmines Road just going off the top of my head there are 5 payphone sites, single and multi. I know one payphone box which is being used regularly by a junkie to shoot up and the garda station is just around the corner!

Countries like Jordan and Sweden have completely got rid of their payphones. While some isolated rural areas might need them it's time they went especially when the minimum call rate has been €2 since 2013!