• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

PC gone Mad! - Oxford University Press has removed words like "aisle", "bishop", "cha

Catalpa

Last edited:

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I don't like political correctness - however this is nothing to do with PC

Lisa Saunders, a worried mother who has painstakingly compared entries from the junior dictionaries, aimed at children aged seven or over, dating from 1978, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2007, said she was "horrified" by the vast number of words that have been removed, most since 2003.
"The Christian faith still has a strong following," she said. "To eradicate so many words associated with the Christianity will have a big effect on the numerous primary schools who use it
There's only 10,000 words in this dictionary and:
Oxford University Press, which produces the junior edition, selects words with the aid of the Children's Corpus, a list of about 50 million words made up of general language, words from children's books and terms related to the school curriculum. Lexicographers consider word frequency when making additions and deletions.
So it's as simple as that they've removed less frequent words: e.g. moss, fern , empire , chapel and replaced them with words that are now more common - e.g. blog, voicemail, attachment.

It's as simple as words got to do with Christianity & nature are less popular , the dictionary is not to blame for that.

cYp

Cogadh

Why do they have to take words out anyway? Why not just add the new more relevant words to the already existing dictionary? Or better yet why do they need a junior dictionary in the first place? If a child is going to actually use a junior dictionary then they could use a 'proper' one just as easy.

CookieMonster

Find me a child that doesn't know what mp3 player means.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Why do they have to take words out anyway? Why not just add the new more relevant words to the already existing dictionary?
Children are small things and we wouldn't expect them to carry a 24 volume dictionary with them. About 10,00 words seems to be the limit they've chosen, I've seen the dictionary -a small , light paperback.

Or better yet why do they need a junior dictionary in the first place? If a child is going to actually use a junior dictionary then they could use a 'proper' one just as easy.
Indeed - thus also time to swap Noddy for 'War and Peace' or Harry Potter for 'À la recherche du temps perdu '.

cYp

Cogadh

Children are small things and we wouldn't expect them to carry a 24 volume dictionary with them. About 10,00 words seems to be the limit they've chosen, I've seen the dictionary -a small , light paperback.

Indeed - thus also time to swap Noddy for 'War and Peace' or Harry Potter for 'À la recherche du temps perdu '.

cYp
:roll:Nope I'd just expect them to have a pocket dictionary like I did when I was in primary school. I also hear that the current generation are supposed to be the most hi tech generation so they'd probably be able to fit those books you mentioned and more on their MP3 players or equivalent not to mention laptops, the internet etc.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
:roll:Nope I'd just expect them to have a pocket dictionary like I did when I was in primary school. I also hear that the current generation are supposed to be the most hi tech generation so they'd probably be able to fit those books you mentioned and more on their MP3 players or equivalent not to mention laptops, the internet etc.
If you keep adding entries to a "pocket" dictionary whilst not taking out some old entries you'll very quickly end up with a "desktop" dictionary.

Laptops , MP3 players & E-book readers are not yet a standard part of educational life. I'd agree that we should move towards this but that's a whole different issue.

CyP

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
It underlines how stupid Political-Correctness is and why it should be expunged from Irish politics. It silences democratic debate and invents non-existent hypotheses to justify clampdowns on freedom of speech such as claiming the term "non-national" is offensive to foreign-nationals when in fact it is not. The only people who regard it as offensive are the Far Left loons in politics, the media and academia who obsess about these things. It's from the same kinf of geniuses that demand cribs be moved because of 'multiculturalism' (as discussed in the Seanad last week). :roll:

Cogadh

If you keep adding entries to a "pocket" dictionary whilst not taking out some old entries you'll very quickly end up with a "desktop" dictionary.

Laptops , MP3 players & E-book readers are not yet a standard part of educational life. I'd agree that we should move towards this but that's a whole different issue.

CyP
Not really a pocket dictionary should be capable of accommodating words like bishop and blog. But a lot (although not enough) children will ahve access to a variety of these things already whether or not they are 'part of educational life.' Scrapping out of date needless things like 'junior dictionaries' is how you make technological advances part of educational life. It's called progress I believe.

Political Correctness was fine to begin with, it was meant to target truly offensive or ignorant terminology and behaviour. It still is fine in so far as it does that. But it has been taken way too far by some of the dopier adherents, and more particularly by agenda-driven zealots using it as a means to their own partisan ends. The barmier examples are often used by the types of people who are nostalgic for times when Bernard Manning was considered mainstream. I think it's wise to consider the baby as well as the bathwater here. Nobody wants a world where black bin bags are considered racist, but neither should we return to an era where 'sambo' was considered a term of endearment...

Cogadh

It underlines how stupid Political-Correctness is and why it should be expunged from Irish politics. It silences democratic debate and invents non-existent hypotheses to justify clampdowns on freedom of speech such as claiming the term "non-national" is offensive to foreign-nationals when in fact it is not. The only people who regard it as offensive are the Far Left loons in politics, the media and academia who obsess about these things. It's from the same kinf of geniuses that demand cribs be moved because of 'multiculturalism' (as discussed in the Seanad last week). :roll:
I'm no fan of 'Political Correctness gone mad' but it's not just the preserve of the 'far left' but one of the funny areas where right and left can (and do) coalesce .

CookieMonster

I think "aisle" is too important a word to be removed. I, for one, can never remember how to bloody well spell it!

Riadach

I'm no fan of 'Political Correctness gone mad' but it's not just the preserve of the 'far left' but one of the funny areas where right and left can (and do) coalesce .
The far left? Oh yes, Stalin was all about the political correctness. Why one of the reasons he wished to stamp out Belorussian culture and suppress its language, was because he thought that the idea of a 'white' Russia could be considered a wee bit racist.

Catalpa

The far left? Oh yes, Stalin was all about the political correctness. Why one of the reasons he wished to stamp out Belorussian culture and suppress its language, was because he thought that the idea of a 'white' Russia could be considered a wee bit racist.
So that's where you've been hiding!

How's life in Minsk these days anyway?

Riadach

So that's where you've been hiding!

How's life in Minsk these days anyway?

Cold, true to form, I've been staying well away from Brest.

Cogadh

:confused: Given I was responding to Future Taoiseach and I put 'far left' in quotes this is the response? C'mon Riadach I thought you were one of the more intelligent posters? You should be better than that nonsense.

My point was that 'PC madness' is an area were certain sections of the left and right coalesce.

ibis

And not one that will be addressed now that people have really got their teeth into the idea that this is a manifestation of political-correctness-gone-mad.

It seems reasonable that a short dictionary should define words in common use - the idea that one should not bother to put words in the dictionary that 'everyone knows' leads to interesting and bizarre realms. It's interesting, too, that this should have been pointed out by someone in NI, and illustrates the growing difference between NI and the rest of the UK - I imagine 'chapel' and 'minister' are in rather more common currency in NI.

Lefronde

Political correctness is neo-marxist muck! Whoever made decision is a son of a bishop!

myksav

They should get rid of most of the words in the english language dictionaries. Just give them two words to learn. Ones that will make them good little obedient little drones. "Yes" and "Sir".

Too many words make people think, and that's not good for control.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies