PE to become Leaving Cert subject

silverharp

Chess next, then video games.

Analyzer

The result if endless lobbying by the circuses element of bread & circuses.

The gobsh1te element in FG have been particularly vocal. Sean Kelly mep, Michael Ring, etc..

PE is not an academic pursuit. Healthy living could be. But this has zero to do with healthy living. Sports is often about boosting you expenditure on what the brewing oligopoly produces - and increasing their profits.

Somehow or other I doubt this will produce healthy lifestyle choices and will end up being another prop to polystyrene sphere chasing dimwits in a society that already accomodates such activity as being somehow or other indicative of suitability for authority.

Is this yet another example of the dumbing down of society ?

johnnypockets

The gobsh1te element in FG have been particularly vocal. Sean Kelly mep, Michael Ring, etc..

PE is not an academic pursuit no matter how much those clowns might think.

Somehow or other I doubt this will produce healthy lifestyle choices and will end up being another prop to polystyrene sphere chasing dimwits in a society that already accomodates such activity as being somehow or other indicative of suitability for authority.

This is yet another example of tge dumbing down of society.
On the contrary, it will educate students in the area of health & fitness. This can only have a positive result.

(What was I thinking starting a thread about a positive story!?!! :))

Analyzer

silverharp

On the contrary, it will educate students in the area of health & fitness. This can only have a positive result.
you could include the academic parts in Biology, the rest is fluff. You take your points and off to do your degree in golf?

ShoutingIsLeadership

PE is not an academic pursuit. Healthy living could be. But this has zero to do with healthy living. Sports is often about boosting you expenditure on what the brewing oligopoly produces - and increasing their profits.

If you're referring to your post, then yes, it is.

silverharp

How about Facebook and snapchat. They are about as intellectual as pass-the-plastic-testicle.
there is an "academic" course in the US where you can study memes, now there is a subject to get the brain juices of the irish yoof flowing.

silverharp

Your ignorance is amazing.
the fact that people want an education system that is a mile wide and an inch deep is amazing. If you check around in other European countries their syllabi are far more demanding.

stopdoingstuff

Whatever about the leaving cert angle, anything that can be done to stop the obesity epidemic is welcome. We are doing our kids a disservice and taking literally decades off of their lives if we allow them to become obese. Personally I would make a couple of hours exercise per week more or less compulsory from day 1. It's not as if we don't have a vast network of sports clubs with good peope - GAA, football, protestant oval football, boxing etc- that could make it possible.

Spirit Of Newgrange

excellent news. Maybe we can have some positive impact on Ireland's obesity epidemic. Now lets take the time wasted on Gaeilge/irish or Religion and put it to good use.

i hope the 'exam' includes a measure of fitness/stamina. And fairness will include the possibility of unfit kids to fail.

Last edited:

Analyzer

(What was I thinking starting a thread about a positive story!?!! :))
No. This is not designed to have a positive result. To say that it is either buying propaganda or to get the rest of us to believe it.

Already there is far too much emphasis on accomodation of the vocal and powerful sports "industry" in this country.

They already have far too much power in the education system. There is no critique of their power.

This is giving them more power. It is actually bad for the third level sector.

There is a need for education in healthy living. The sports lobby do everything in their power to make sure that spectatorship is more important than healthy living.

The difference between what this promises and what it will deliver will be considerable. The sports lobby ( receiving money from DIagEo, Heineken, rtc..) are already compromised.

I want a seperation of sports lobbyists ( & their sponsors ) and the classroom.

fat finger

Yes, another dumbing down example. Seems a lot of kids are not getting their heads around maths especially, many kids after The Bailout are saying to teacher, numbers don't matter do they, it's all about who you know, i'ntit? And teachers are having difficulty explaining that, especially because they don't want to embarrass kids in class whose parents are known fianna fails voters or members, so emphasising PE is a way of avoiding conflict and embarrassment in the classroom - to most of us that seems wrong, we should be teaching the kids that numbers do matter and the banks should have been left to deal with their own mess, even if it meant thousands of middle class losing their jobs and never finding a similar job again, ever, and the pain of downsizing, yes it would have been hard on them and their kids but as a country we would have emerged much fitter to deal with the challenges of globalisation instead of the perilous state of our economy today and it currently limping along thanks to 'the kindness of strangers' as Prof Morgan put it, a country directed entirely from without, no real control over its own affairs and doing more PE won't change that, except in a future economic crunch when the demand for personal security surges and the one big employment happy spot is for beefed up bouncers and martial arts practitioners

Analyzer

We are already wasting vast sums of money on sports. And it has been unchallenged for decades.

I had been hoping after the real estate mania and banking collapse that the stupid assumption that putting people in authority because they played for Old Belveder would have ended. Actually it hasn't.

And now we see a doubling fown of s commitment to more waste.

This has bugger all to do with obesity.

There was childhood obesity in the 1980s. There were always chubby kids.

This is about power and the sports lobby. They need obedient kids for their stupid scams.

This has nothing to do with altruism, & is sold under the guise of moral pretence.

silverharp

Where did we come in those rankings?
My kids are currently studying 2 syllabi and the Irish one is inferior ie they are learning more in the other one. As for the rankings, set up a separate thread and discuss how you "win" that ranking.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies