• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Peaceful Protest=Fascism

Gracchus

A Fine Gael city councillor for Cork, Laura McGonigle, Considers a peaceful protest to amount Fascism. Her comments
Everyone has the right to protest but when you prevent the public meeting going ahead, it amounts to fascism. They weren’t genuine protesters.
How would the Fine Gael party prefer the people of Ireland to protest? The nicey nicey organised protests which do little to push through real reform? It is time that we forget that type of protest and force forward with more of this kind.

I also think that a politician should have a basic understanding of political ideologies like Fascism, which McGonigle clearly lacks, or is it ok for people to accused other people of being Fascist, simply because they disagree with them.

Unrest breaks out at Cork City Council meeting · TheJournal.ie

Sync

Can I come into your place of work and prevent you from carrying it out? Would you consider that peaceful? If you want to get into a dull argument on semantics then knock yourself out. The protest had the aim (and result) of disrupting the democratic process of the county. It's not on. She's right to say it's not on.

Mercurial

A Fine Gael city councillor for Cork, Laura McGonigle, Considers a peaceful protest to amount Fascism. Her comments

How would the Fine Gael party prefer the people of Ireland to protest? The nicey nicey organised protests which do little to push through real reform? It is time that we forget that type of protest and force forward with more of this kind.

I also think that a politician should have a basic understanding of political ideologies like Fascism, which McGonigle clearly lacks, or is it ok for people to accused other people of being Fascist, simply because they disagree with them.

The right to express your views does not extend to the right to prevent other people from expressing theirs.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

The WP councillor is to be applauded for listening to the suffering protesters. FG obviously believe the plain people of Cork should shut up and pay up. Pig and grunt comes to mind.

Cork would be better off without the Council rubber stampers.

The FG anti democrat says:
She said that the protesters were raising items over which the city council has no jurisdiction, such as bailing out the bond holders.
But when Mayor McSwiney dies on hunger strike, far from Shandon Bells, many bodies passed motions in support. Does she think they were wrong to support McSwiney? God help anyone depending on her and her public teat hogging ilk for support.

supermac2

Jeeeezz i thought the gathering was next year
looks like it aalready started what with gimme mor getting pelted
thousands marching against anglo in bally connnel
450,000 with nothing to do
2000 SNA's with free time

hundreds of reasons for gatherings

roll on 2013

Mountaintop

Fine Gael and Fascism mentioned in an OP....3 posts in and nobody's mentioned Blueshirts???...seriously.....the trolls must be planning something.....

D

Dylan2010

the protestors did employ one element of Fascism , the statement is over egged but not a wholly incorrect retort given the circumstances.

often capitalized: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Watcher2

Can I come into your place of work and prevent you from carrying it out? Would you consider that peaceful? If you want to get into a dull argument on semantics then knock yourself out. The protest had the aim (and result) of disrupting the democratic process of the county. It's not on. She's right to say it's not on.
Since I work in the private sector, that indeed would be trespass. When publicly elected figures refuse to listen to those who voted them into their job and pay their salaries stop listening to those people, what else do they expect?

Sync

Since I work in the private sector, that indeed would be trespass. When publicly elected figures refuse to listen to those who voted them into their job and pay their salaries stop listening to those people, what else do they expect?
Ah. So if I were a shareholder in your company it would be ok for me and 100 of my friends to do?

Clanrickard

Cllr. McGonigle is spot on. More rabble rousing and posturing from the loony left.

The WP councillor is to be applauded for listening to the suffering protesters. FG obviously believe the plain people of Cork should shut up and pay up. Pig and grunt comes to mind.

Cork would be better off without the Council rubber stampers.

The FG anti democrat says:

But when Mayor McSwiney dies on hunger strike, far from Shandon Bells, many bodies passed motions in support. Does she think they were wrong to support McSwiney? God help anyone depending on her and her public teat hogging ilk for support.
You are some muppet. Ms. McGonigle rightly said they shouldn't be talking about things over which they have no power. To do so is a waste of time.

Hell, I know that it's only the Council, but if you scale it up the The Dailitself, not even the Gardai are allowed to impede a member's progress to and from the building if they are conducting Government business.

I'd apply the same thing, in principle, at local level.

SilverSpurs

The councillor has a point. What went on was beyond peaceful protest. Nazi-ism did indeed start with this type of carry on where meetings of rival political parties were broken up.

tirnacrann

disrupting the democratic process of the county

Well now , considering what is been done in our name by this government that is a bit rich even by your hypocritical standards

B

birthday

If they paid their household charge there might not be cuts to elderly care services which they also oppose!

See how they like the Revenue Commisioners.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Ah. So if I were a shareholder in your company it would be ok for me and 100 of my friends to do?
Minority shareholders have done this, most notably perhaps with the Eircom revolt when Labour Party heavies like Dick Spring were allowed wreck it. You might note major shareholders are kicking up at the moment because the managers are useless. The democrats of Cork are doing the same against the self servers.

The councillor has a point. What went on was beyond peaceful protest. Nazi-ism did indeed start with this type of carry on where meetings of rival political parties were broken up.
Really? I thought it was a reaction to World war One and the rise of Sovietism and that it went on to cracking heads and interning Communists like Frank Ryan who was not averse to cracking heads himself.

Mercurial

Well now , considering what is been done in our name by this government that is a bit rich even by your hypocritical standards
A democracy that makes bad decisions is still a democracy.

Clanrickard

Reread your post. It is sheer and utter nonsense. You may not like this or the last government, neither do I, but they were demcoratically elected as was Cllr McGonigle and the other Councillors.

Popular Threads

Most Replies