• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Peak oil: is Ireland ready?

DS-09

Having recently done some personal online research on the topic of peak oil, and reviewing such websites as former oil expert Professor Campbell’s ASPO site- I have begun to give thought to what will happen in Ireland if we do not prepare for the decline in the production of oil- and the escalation of prices thereafter. Many experts in the industry including oil CEO Matthew Simmons have for the most part concluded that we may in fact be past peak-production. Also with the urbanisation, and industrialisation of China and India (populations of 1.3. billion and 1.1 billion respectively) - it will put even more pressure on oil retraction resources- and ultimately the price of oil.

While many remain optimistic about the oil tar sands of Alberta- and their potential to supply the world’s transport and energy for a century of more, others (including top scientists and oil industry insiders) have concluded that it is not a plausible scenario as the cost of digging, retracting and refining the sands would actually cost more than the cost of the tar sand oil itself. So that does not look like a plausible scenario. It’s hard to believe it but oil and gas are running out. Will this be good or bad? And is Ireland ready? More importantly is there potential for disaster for Ireland if peak oil hits- and should we be getting worried? And what do you think we (including politicians) should do to prepare for this increasingly likely event? Last but not least, regarding the foreign affairs spectrum- do you think there are worldwide dangers, or potential battle scenarios, especially when you consider that America, Russia, China, India and Europe could get competitive, so to speak- over the last remaining oil fields?

Peak oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ASPO International | The Association for the Study of Peak Oil and Gas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Campbell_(geologist)

Matthew Simmons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

DS-09

VIDEO (Prof.Colin Campbell): [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYmnriCJ18I&feature=related"]YouTube - Peak Oil Causes Global Recession, Depression[/ame]

myksav

Ireland, it appears, in not ready for anything, never mind peak oil.

expat girl

Frankly, the role of the oil price spike in the banking collapse has been underestimated by everyone, not just Ireland. We're already there. The merest hint of etiolated green shoots of recovery seems to be having a stimulatory effect on the oil price and not too much else.

eoinod

I believe that George Lee was heavily involved in Peak Oil research at one point. Having him in the Dáil should be of benefit to us but would be even more so if he was in government..

sic transit

Why does no one talk about Peak Oil anymore?

Is it dead? Was Peak Oil just a millennial fantasy like Y2K? Is Climate Change the next Peak Oil?

What will they scare us with next?
Y2K was a real and present danger and we'll never know how much because the potential risks were addressed.

seabhcan

Y2K was a real and present danger and we'll never know how much because the potential risks were addressed.
There was a tiny and easy to address danger which was exaggerated to whip the general public into a panic.

Gas pipelines, hydroelectic stations, cars... in fact everything created by man worth having... represents a 'real and present danger' which must be, and thankfully can be, addressed.

The two people killed in a balcony collapse yesterday in London highlight the danger of balconies - which clearly should be banned to protect against the 'real and present danger' of balconies... or perhaps people can rationally weigh the relative dangers of things and live with a certain level of risk.

junius

There was a tiny and easy to address danger which was exaggerated to whip the general public into a panic.

Gas pipelines, hydroelectic stations, cars... in fact everything created by man worth having... represents a 'real and present danger' which must be, and thankfully can be, addressed.

The two people killed in a balcony collapse yesterday in London highlight the danger of balconies - which clearly should be banned to protect against the 'real and present danger' of balconies... or perhaps people can rationally weigh the relative dangers of things and live with a certain level of risk.
That viewpoint is fine so long as it's not your balcony or your environment etc etc......... NIMBYism is alive and well!

seabhcan

It hasn't 'gone away'. We live in ever increasingly false economies and that's the real problem. It is obvious to anybody but an imbecile that a finite resource remains a finite source as long as it lasts!
Everything is finite.

However, if you cast your mind back to the early 2000s, peak oil was predicted then to have made our lives now all but impossible. Actually its not an issue these days, oil prices are actually dropping.

junius

Everything is finite.

However, if you cast your mind back to the early 2000s, peak oil was predicted then to have made our lives now all but impossible. Actually its not an issue these days, oil prices are actually dropping.
Everything is not finite in a sense that I am talking about maybe a 1000 year time frame. As I said, they're just getting all the better at feeding us lies and at buying the media! I worry for my kids and grandkids (of which I don't have any currently) not for myself particularly!

seabhcan

Everything is not finite in a sense that I am talking about maybe a 1000 year time frame. As I said, they're just getting all the better at feeding us lies! I worry for my kids and grandkids (of which I don't have any currently) not for myself particularly!
I don't believe there is any danger of us running out of oil and gas any time soon. The world has been perpetually 15-20 years away from peak-oil for about 70 years and the reason is very simple.

Finding oil is expensive. If they oil companies have 20 years supply already found, they cut back on finding more. When that drops a bit to 10-15 years of oil 'left', they invest in new discoveries. I fully expect us to be 20 years from peak oil for the rest of this century.

stopdoingstuff

I don't believe there is any danger of us running out of oil and gas any time soon. The world has been perpetually 15-20 years away from peak-oil for about 70 years and the reason is very simple.

Finding oil is expensive. If they oil companies have 20 years supply already found, they cut back on finding more. When that drops a bit to 10-15 years of oil 'left', they invest in new discoveries. I fully expect us to be 20 years from peak oil for the rest of this century.
And by then we'll have invented new stuff anyway and it will be a moot point.

Spanner Island

Everything is finite.

Fracking might have something to do with that...

The West is trying to extricate itself from being dependent on Middle East and Russian fossil fuels... and the sooner this happens the better.

Of course the real issue is climate change and the fact that the consensus now is that we are beyond the point of no return and that now it's about minimising temperature rises as opposed to preventing them.

So this 'peak oil' sh!te is all a bit academic really, seeing as what we should be doing is getting off the fossil fuel heroin altogether.

Not going to happen though, because we've already f***ed up the planet and seem determined to continue f***ing up the planet.

Out of the two closest examples to us... Mars and Venus... it looks like we will go the way of Venus... out of control greenhouse effect and all that will bring with it.

The future is bleak.

Last edited:

junius

Good on you, if you expect to live that long! ;);) You're no doubt fortunate that these 'oil companies' have not negatively impacted your life so far.......................!! Or maybe you just haven't noticed yet - start thinking outside the box and you may well make some new discoveries and realisations...........!

seabhcan

Airborne HIV-Ebola Hybrid
I don't think people are scared enough of ebola.

I'm reading a book about the dangers of embedded system viruses and hacking. Basically hackers have started making computer viruses that hack command and control systems in power stations and even smart meters of the kind used by Irish water.

It may sound boring, but it could be easily whipped into a major public panic with a little PR spend - it combines viruses, hackers, terrorism, getting your water and power cut off, and exploding power stations. Thats the next panic to invest in - chalk it down.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies