• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Peak Oil

BrianRey

I want to know from George Lee, why he was driving around in a gas guzzling Merc on last weeks Peak Oil programme on RTE 1. Surely if he was that concerned he should an oil free method of transport.

Free Speach

He's a reporter not an activist.
He is reporting the facts. His personal views and levels of concern are irrelevant to the programme.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
BrianRey said:
I want to know from George Lee, why he was driving around in a gas guzzling Merc on last weeks Peak Oil programme on RTE 1. Surely if he was that concerned he should an oil free method of transport.
Because journalists are better than plebs. For instance people get killed and kidknapped everyday, but if those things happen to a journalists... oh the humanity! The way plebs destory the planet inhabited by journalist is of paramount concern. We should be ashamed of ourselves. ;)

Wolverine

What he was driving doesn't take away from the substance of what he was saying. There's trouble ahead.

TheBear

<Mod>Moved to the Environment forum.</Mod>

LooseCannon said:
http://www.ft.com/home/europe

FT reports International Energy Agency predicting Oil Crisis within next 5 years - it will be the permanent crisis unfortunately...
It's not looking goodfor us in Ireland. :cry:

The IEA said that supply was falling faster than expected in mature areas, such as the North Sea or Mexico, while projects in new provinces such as the Russian Far East, faced long delays. Meanwhile consumption is accelerating on strong economic growth in emerging countries. :roll:

Five years is a bit too soon for us to mend our ways.

Leftfemme22

The Accountant said:
LooseCannon said:
http://www.ft.com/home/europe

FT reports International Energy Agency predicting Oil Crisis within next 5 years - it will be the permanent crisis unfortunately...
It's not looking goodfor us in Ireland. :cry:

The IEA said that supply was falling faster than expected in mature areas, such as the North Sea or Mexico, while projects in new provinces such as the Russian Far East, faced long delays. Meanwhile consumption is accelerating on strong economic growth in emerging countries. :roll:

Five years is a bit too soon for us to mend our ways.
Sure everything is fine.... keep on partying...keep on spending....buy more homes... don't be unpatriotic and mention anything that might interrupt my fun or make me have to think there might be consequences...

Why everyone just doesn't agree with Fianna Fail and join the 'Party' is beyond me...in fact they should just bloody top themselves :roll: :roll:

david

Surely if he was that concerned he should an oil free method of transport.
I saw it as simply making a point, a statement, a 'this is normality' sort of thing. No big deal, really.

I managed to get chance to see the whole thing on the web and found it sensationalist albeit he was saying all the right things. Too much fancy footage-work and soundbites for me. Ho hum.

His efforts will not make a single tiny scrap of difference, of course.

Corroboration

BrianRey said:
I took it as Ironic Symbolism about how we as a nation are carrying on. He was making a point in doing so.

Auditor #9

Website
www.*******.com
andrew said:
Just came across a compressed air car which can do 200km with zero pollution, but also has a fuel engine for longer range. Their big selling point is that most car journeys are short, so 200km is plenty of capacity for most peoples driving needs in 1 day.

Sounds like a brilliant idea as an alternative to flex fuel or hybrid cars (and of course petrol).
Had a quick look - I work for Shell so it had to be quick! joke...

But Andrew, keep this link safe before it disappears forever...

SPN

andrew said:
Just came across a compressed air car which can do 200km with zero pollution, but also has a fuel engine for longer range. Their big selling point is that most car journeys are short, so 200km is plenty of capacity for most peoples driving needs in 1 day.

Sounds like a brilliant idea as an alternative to flex fuel or hybrid cars (and of course petrol).
Compressed air is a very inefficient method of energy storage/transmission because so much of the energy goes to heat.

david

A log-in is required for your signature link, XT.

Wolverine

They will when they won't be able to sustain their lifestyles.

Just because there isn't a huge public reaction at present is no reason not to highlight the issue.

david

Wolverine said:
Just because there isn't a huge public reaction at present is no reason not to highlight the issue.
I agree entirely. But that doesn't alter the current situation: that most people couldn't care less. And highlighting the issues gives people 'environment fatigue'.

They believe that climate change and fossil fuels running out are a problem, but those problems are in the future and don't affect their lives at present. Faith in technology is one thing. Selfishness is another. Wilful suppressing of the issues by industry, the EU and the governments of the world is another.

This is worth a read.

Highlighting the issues brings on the climate change deniers, the 'I need my rockbreaker to bring my kids to school' -ers, the nanotechies, the biofools, the 'global warming is good for Irish tourism' freaks, the nuclear lobbyists, etc etc.

Wolverine said:
They will when they won't be able to sustain their lifestyles.
People simply can't imagine not being able to.

Wolverine

I see where you're coming from.

Sometimes I think the best thing Osama Bin Laden could do would be to fly a plane into some big oilfield in Saudi and give the world six months of €200 a barrell oil prices. Just a taste of what is to come.