Pearse Doherty appointed Sinn Fein Finance Spokesman

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Sinn Fein have announced that newly elected Donegal South West TD Pearse Doherty has been apppointed the party's Finance Spokesman in the Dáil, he's taking over the role form Louth TD Arthur Morgan, who's standing down at the next General Election.

Dub guy

I'm not a SF supporter, but congrats to Pearse on his election & now his appointment as Finance spokesman.. He seems like a decent guy

Kerrygold

Dave, you can lock the thread I just started on this.

Good move by SF in my opinion. This will give Pearse maximum exposure (well, as much as a SF spokesperson can get). Pearse seems to have a good grasp of the issues and is well able to articulate the party's position.

holymoley

Does that mean he'll be giving the sinn fein budget comments next week or will Arthur Morgan still have the role until the election? Big ask for him next week if it is the case.

Samell

But what does he know about finance?
Probably a bit more than Lenihan and as he is not from a dynasty and having to prepare the way for a follower he might be willing to listen to INDEPENDENT advice instead of bankers telling ministers how best to act in the interest of the banks, oops my bad interest of the country.

G

Gimpanzee

Decent performer for an important portfolio, but if his recent Senate performance is anything to go by he knows very little about what we are facing. For starters he seems to be worried about a conspiracy where property developers are being supported in retaining their properties so that they will be able to recover their money when prices get back up to where they were. Someone needs to explain to him why he need not worry about that.

RahenyFG

Pearse is moving in the right directions. I see a future SF leader in the making.

Social Conscience

Is this a move by SF to make sure he doesn't lose his support in Donegal SW before the GE is called?

Pat Mc Larnon

Is this a move by SF to make sure he doesn't lose his support in Donegal SW before the GE is called?
I would suspect it is because the whole GE campaign will be fought on the economy and nothing else. The finance spokespersons for all the parties will be the people under the most scrutiny and to an extent the fortunes of their parties will lie in their hands (all except FF and the Greens of course).
He is a polished performer and will be more than capable of holding his own in that type of debate. A very good move.

Social Conscience

Yes, yes it is.

Meanwhile back on planet Earth.....:roll:
Maybe have a check in the record books when you get down off your high horse and see how many by-elections winners were beaten in their first GE.

Aindriu

I would suspect it is because the whole GE campaign will be fought on the economy and nothing else. The finance spokespersons for all the parties will be the people under the most scrutiny and to an extent the fortunes of their parties will lie in their hands (all except FF and the Greens of course).
He is a polished performer and will be more than capable of holding his own in that type of debate. A very good move.
Does he have a background in finance?

I am a firm believer in horses for courses - lawyers for MoJ, Doctors for MoH & accountants for M0F.

Social Conscience

He is indeed a very polished performer but it must be said the majority of SF candidates fall into this category anyway. Do you think he will be man attacking Lendahand next Tuesday after another 'sell-out' budget?

mickdotcom

Your right - He is a decent guy and on top of that he is an intellegent decent bloke who

impressed em when he said he would only go to Funerals of those he knows- (I am

easily impressed)- He is an Engineer by training, however I think he will be out of his

depth in Finance- From listening to him, he is more of a Social Justice type

in Finance he will merely trot out the party line and this will styme him.

Its a big ask for him as a newbie to go up against Brian Lenihan- Joan the moan

and that FG lad who reminds me of a lad cutting hay in the back field.

But saying all that- of the Shinner TD's in DE

PD is probably the most impressive ( would one of you Shinners please do something
about his Northsider going to Court fringe)

stripey cat

Pearse is moving in the right directions. I see a future SF leader in the making.
There has to be a by election. It is only open to Oireachtas members to vote, so the Greens/FF have an automatic right to stick in whoever they want.

What about Seanie Fitz? He'd make a good Senator, wouldn't he?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies