• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Pearse Doherty wins by election case

tiny tim

Just give us 4 by-elections and a sign that we live in a democracy. All we want is some hope.

FakeViking

As the State's defence was that this was a full-frontal attack on seperation of powers, can we call the appeal the Full Monty?

SinnShane

Outrageous that the state has to foot the cost of defending this FF sham

Cato

A good day for democracy but I would guess that the government will appeal it to the SC. Fighting against the citizen's right to representation using our own money.

Goodbody

In two minds about this. On the one hand, glad that the bye-elections will happen. On the other, angry that once again the Irish Courts have extended their powers over the Oireachtas.

gijoe

This could not get more embarrassing for the government - the Court has effectively held that the government is not acting democratically.

All the commentary from the hacks in the meeja was that this case would go nowhere - how wrong they were!

PUFF DADDY

So what does this mean now ? has this by-election to be held now i.e. in the next few wks.., or will it be accepted that govt can give a date sometime in spring ? when we know a GE is more likely at that point...or will the govt spend more taxpayers money appealing this..

Cato

In two minds about this. On the one hand, glad that the bye-elections will happen. On the other, angry that once again the Irish Courts have extended their powers over the Oireachtas.
Have you ever heard of the concept of 'checks and balances'? Kind of important in a democracy. Would you really expect the courts to stand by while the executive denies the people the right to representation?

firefly123

I might be wrong but the separate arms of the state are designed so that one cannot assume overall power. Since the executive won't uphold the constitution and allow the people their democratic right to vote the judiciary have stepped up to the plate. This is a proud moment for Irish democracy and gives me hope that the system ain't broke just some of those at the wheel.

ManOfReason

An appeal by the State would be a new low for the Governemt, with four seats vacant.
This is a FF led government we are talking about, every day they find a way to bring governance to a new low.

The biggest joke of all is that, for all their talk about their holier than thou commitment to democracy, the Greens go along with this sham.

Oldira1

The judiciary have a duty to uphold the consitution.

Rocky

Great news. Full credit to Doherty and the High Court. The next issue is will the government appeal and if not are we on the verge of a general election.

jacko

what if the Taoiseach moved the writ this morning and hypothetically a majority of the Dail voted it down - what is the High Court to do ?

gijoe

So what does this mean now ? has this by-election to be held now i.e. in the next few wks.., or will it be accepted that govt can give a date sometime in spring ? when we know a GE is more likely at that point...or will the govt spend more taxpayers money appealing this..
It was just a declaration from the Court, it has no direct affect. However, if the writ is put down again and the government vote against it I suppose Pearse Doherty could seek the committal of the Cabinet!

PS Was Noel Whelan one of the Counsel for the Government?