• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Pearse Street Garda sex abuse case settled - is there no end to Garda embasrrassments?

williewatch

I see a long running Garda sex abuse case has been settled. It was over a young boy being sexually abuse at Pearse Street Garda station in Dublin

It seems to be just one thing after another with what passes for a police force in Ireland.

The RUC has been reorganised, retrained, rebranded & is now answerable to the people it serves.

IMHO its long past time for something similar to be done with the Gardai.

"A MAN WHO was sexually abused “on numerous occasions” by a serving member of An Garda Siochána over 50 years ago has settled his High Court action seeking damages against the Garda Commissioner and the State.
The man brought a case for damages for the abuse he said he suffered from when he was 12 years of age during the late 1950s and early 1960s at the hands of Garda Jack Dunne, who died two years ago.
At the relevant time Dunne was stationed at Pearse Street Garda station in Dublin, where most of the abuse took place."

Man who was sexually abused for years by active garda settles action with State

The Field Marshal

I see a long running Garda sex abuse case has been settled. It was over a young boy being sexually abuse at Pearse Street Garda station in Dublin

It seems to be just one thing after another with what passes for a police force in Ireland.

The RUC has been reorganised, retrained, rebranded & is now answerable to the people it serves.

IMHO its long past time for something similar to be done with the Gardai.

"A MAN WHO was sexually abused “on numerous occasions” by a serving member of An Garda Siochána over 50 years ago has settled his High Court action seeking damages against the Garda Commissioner and the State.
The man brought a case for damages for the abuse he said he suffered from when he was 12 years of age during the late 1950s and early 1960s at the hands of Garda Jack Dunne, who died two years ago.
At the relevant time Dunne was stationed at Pearse Street Garda station in Dublin, where most of the abuse took place."

Man who was sexually abused for years by active garda settles action with State
The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Normally afaik this means it was settled without admission of liability or wrongdoing on the part of the state.

Prester Jim

Unfortunately I am finally beginning to think that AGS need a complete reorganisation and root and branch reform.
Too much incompetence and corruption, too much political policing and the entire officer corps of the AGS are selected on political pull, every single one of them might well be utterly incompetent and horribly corrupt and we wouldn't necessarily find out about it because all dissent is ruthlessly crushed and the Garda Ombudsman is hopelessly crap.

So thats a second pillar of a functioning state that doesn't function at all properly, the media is a complete disgrace, bought and cowed by the plutocrats and political dunces that rule us.

Prester Jim

How many criminals are freely striding about the state the way the murderer of Mary Boyle has been doing for decades? How many more terrible crimes have been covered up or ignored because they have been committed against the politically unconnected or poor?

EUrJokingMeRight

The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Normally afaik this means it was settled without admission of liability or wrongdoing on the part of the state.
Yup. A bastion of honesty, accountability and contrition.

*Cough*

Catalpast

This case is like all such very sad and upsetting

But how on earth could AGS 'know' that this was going on?

If it was a case he was caught and allowed to stay in the Gardaí - transferred somewhere else and continued to abuse young boys- then that would be a different matter

However according to what I read here the abuser was convicted back in the 1960s

- on conviction he would have been sacked if he had not already resigned

Which shows that child abuse was not 'ignored' even back then

- when it was discovered

- and people were prepared to give evidence

Levellers

I remember the hue and cry in the 70s over the Rathmines Rapist. He attacked several women in bedsits.

The lo and behold he was found out to be a guard and the case disappeared.

Anyone remember this?

Watcher2

Not that the victim in this does not deserve compensation but it seems like "the State" you and me, bear a very high burden for the actions of individuals. This case for instance, it was not the State i.e. you and me as taxpayers, that assaulted this poor person. So why do we have to "suffer" as well?

This is cold and some may think crass but I think it needs to be asked, to try and find a better way, but should the victim not have brought the case sooner? It is 50 years is it not? Should the guards estate not be claimed against instead of you and me "the State"?

I feel sorry that this has happened to the poor victim but surely we need to start discussing these things.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies