Pearse's 'sex obsession with Emmet's corpse'

fluffykontbiscuits

Curious article, I was reading about Eoin O Duffy and came across this...

Pearse's 'sex obsession with Emmet's corpse' - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Pearse, it is alleged, was obsessed with the corpse of Robert Emmet, a man beheaded 75 years before the leader of the Easter Rising was born.
Apparently Roger Casement was having sex with boys too according to the article.....
The Easter Rising leader, along with Roger Casement and Eoin O'Duffy, is amongst key figures of the Irish independence movement who are considered to have been homosexual. While recently authenticated diary entries suggest Casement had sex with boys, it is not clear whether Pearse ever had homosexual relations with another man.

Green eyed monster

Yep it's Fluffy's favourite wa^king material. The Indo.

Can we just heap all the 'Irish nationalists of the turn of the century were paedoes, sectarian monsters, Jew killers, necrophiliacs etc' into one big thread for convenience?

So we can keep the serious discussions safely compartmentalised away from all that....

eoghanacht

Oh look here's fluffy with another anti-republican thread straight from the pages of the o'reilly rag.

Jeez fluffy don't you know there's a prince getting married, shouldn't you be choosing a dress or something?

pujols

Is there not enough real history to work on?

Utterly bizarre

fluffykontbiscuits

Oh look here's fluffy with another anti-republican thread straight from the pages of the o'reilly rag.

Jeez fluffy don't you know there's a prince getting married, shouldn't you be choosing a dress or something?
Take it off and give it back then......

SevenStars

New low for you fluffy hun-ie....Why dont you just go and get big fat Orange man to sort you out and not bore us?

Congalltee

A) Why the obsession with the sex lives of historical figures decades after all their contemporaries have died?
B) I have read that article twice, and appreciate that Pearse was obsessed with Emmet but what is the evidence that he actualy wanted to have sex with the body of Emmet (surely Pearse was aware the grave was unmarked?)
C) Is there any evidence that Pearse had sex with anyone?

ocoonassa

Pearse was a blood obsessed nutjob and probably in the closet but this just sounds like the kind of tabloid nonsense that somebody would spin to wind up chuckys.

Emmet's request to be buried in an unmarked grave, made during his famous trial speech, and the dispute about where his decapitated body was laid to rest, meant Pearse could never have consummated his necrophilic urges.
I lol'd, the thing is now though that the Loyal Orange idiots have probably got hold of it and are using it. We'll have to make up something about Carson now in order to keep our green and orange idiots in harmonious balance.

Green eyed monster

I see that this originates in a Northern Loyalist 'Professor''s book on the subject. The history departments in the North's colleges are less than professional and nowhere near as objective as they are in the Republic imho.

Still i suppose it is all just a kind of fun and games, no doubt irrespective of the quality of her work she will get high praise from her colleagues for doing favors for their 'tribe' with this book.

TaxHavenSite

A) Why the obsession with the sex lives of historical figures decades after all their contemporaries have died?
B) I have read that article twice, and appreciate that Pearse was obsessed with Emmet but what is the evidence that he actualy wanted to have sex with the body of Emmet (surely Pearse was aware the grave was unmarked?)
Lawrence of Arabia is considered homosexual by some people because of his writings,that can mean different things based on the agenda your trying to push.

ne0ica

Your right. No proof. It appears Prof Elliot is trying to plug a book which the Independent is more that happy to publicise as it attacks Pearse.

Clanrickard

ne0ica

Lawrence of Arabia is considered homosexual by some people because of his writings,that can mean different things based on the agenda your trying to push.
Yes, the gay lobby is happy to do this. Go to any East Coast Ivy league college and practically every 19th century novel you will be told has a secret gay theme. Even Jesus Christ himself was accused of having a homosexual relationship with ST John before the DaVinci code came out.

Green eyed monster

Your right. No proof. It appears Prof Elliot is trying to plug a book which the Independent is more that happy to publicise as it attacks Pearse.
They do seem to have some weird thing for Pearse for some reason, never Connolly but Pearse, is that because he was born a Protestant but converted and was Middle Class (so therefore seen as someone who should have been loyal to Britain) so his perceived 'betrayal' rubs them up the wrong way? (Whereas Connolly was a working class Catholic guy).

Mitsui2

While I'm no great Pearse fan, I'd imagine he was fascinated with the location of Emmett's body (or at least the remains of it) rather than anything else - the secret location of Emmett's grave has been of interest to many over the past 200 years.

As for Casement, the fact that he was homosexual is hardly news, is it? Did he have sex with boys? I thought he was into big strapping types. And what exactly constituted a "boy" (legally, agewise) back then?

Anyhow, what on earth has the uses to which these long-dead men put (or for that matter did not put) their genitals to do with anything? I'm with Congaltee on this one.

Highking

They do seem to have some weird thing for Pearse for some reason, never Connolly but Pearse, is that because he was born a Protestant but converted and was Middle Class (so therefore seen as someone who should have been loyal to Britain) so his perceived 'betrayal' rubs them up the wrong way? (Whereas Connolly was a working class Catholic guy).
Where did you read Connolly was a Catholic? This is just out of curiosity now, I previously assumed he wasn't due to being a Marxist

ne0ica

Perhaps because he was a traitor to his class. Funny I remember reading the Sindo after September 11th and Pearse was being blamed as Osama Bin Laden's inspiration. Of course without any proof and without any record of Osama Bin Laden making a statement about Pearse, 1916, or Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies